Do you know afterschool youth groups that could use free meals?

  • Kara
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26 7:39 AM
      Hi Maryland RPCVs,
      I want to reach out to you because RPCVs are usually in touch with their communities and wanting to help those that need it:)
      I recently took a position with Share Our Strength.
      Part of Share Our Strength's strategy to end childhood hunger in Maryland is to increase participation in the At-Risk Afterschool Meal Program that provides federal money to reimburse organizations for serving nutritious meals at afterschool programs (including weekends). Schools, public agencies, private non-profit organizations and some for-profit organizations may be eligible (i.e. Boys and Girls Clubs, community action agencies, cultural/ethnic programs, churches, art programs, sports, etc.). My focus is community organizations outside of schools because another department handles that (but if you do know of schools that are not currently receiving afterschool meals, let me know, also)! If you know of any programs/organizations in Maryland that you think could benefit from free afterschool meals, or people you could connect me to that might have ideas, please let me know!

      Organization/program sites must meet these requirements:
      - Serve at least 10 youth 18 or under.
      - Located in an area served by a school where at least 50 percent of enrolled students are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals
      - Offer educational or enrichment activities, such as HW assistance, tutoring, arts and crafts, computer labs, life skills, physical activities
      - Meet state and local health and safety requirements

      Meals can be prepared on-site or delivered, depending on a few factors, including the site's location.

      There is help for programs to determine if they are eligible and to complete application paperwork and requirements. Afterschool Meals are sponsored by other entities who support the programs financially and operationally. We work in partnership with MSDE, Family League of Baltimore, and others.

      If you need more information or have any questions, please let me know! Thanks in advance for your help.

      Kara Panowitz, RPCV Madagascar
      Community Nutrition Coordinator, Maryland No Kid Hungry
      Share Our Strength
      kpanowitz@...
      410-688-5550