Fwd: Reminder: March 1st NPCA National Day of Action

  • Joby Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2012
      Hello Maryland Returned Peace Corps Vols!

      Below is information about an upcoming opportunity to advocate for the Peace Corps on March 1st!   Jonathan Pearson of the National Peace Corps Association is organizing an Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill, and with a bit of advance notice he does a fabulous job of preparing your briefing materials and getting you all ready to go.  This is an easy and effective way to voice your support for the Peace Corps and it's also a great way to connect with your members of Congress and practice your advocacy skills.

      If you are interested, please contact Jonathan Pearson (see message below). Here are several basic pieces of information he will need from you in order to prepare your materials and meetings.

      Best,  Joby Taylor (RPCV Gabon)

      P.S. Nancy can you please forward to your MD RPCV list...Thanks!

      • PLEASE Send Us Key Information About You:  To help us prepare, we need you to send the following information:
        1. Full address where you are currently registered vote
        2. Any additional address (or lawmakers) where you have a strong personal connection
        3. Cell phone number you will be carrying on advocacy day
        4. Your Peace Corps connection (applicant, invitee, RPCV, former staff, etc.)  If RPCV/former staff, please include country and years of service

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Jonathan Pearson" <Jonathan@...>
      Subject: Reminder: March 1st NPCA National Day of Action

      Dear

      Dear Joby,

      I am writing to you as a past Capitol Hill participant in our annual National Day of Action in Support of the Peace Corps.  Thanks to your tremendous leadership, we have significantly raised the presence and voice of the Peace Corps community over the last several years.  In these challenging fiscal and foreign policy times, this grassroots participation has significantly helped to sustain and improve the Peace Corps.

      As you may have seen, we will be back on Capitol Hill for our 8th consecutive Day of Action.  In fact, we will be holding our meetings on Thursday, March 1st – Peace Corps Day!

      We plan to gather on the Hill at 8:45 AM.  Following an orientation and some expected remarks from RPCV lawmakers, we will participate in scheduled meetings and drop off information to all congressional offices.  We anticipate action on Peace Corps funding for Fiscal Year 2013 and congressional authorization of a Peace Corps commemorative near the National Mall.

      If you can join us in Washington for this year’s Day of Action, please contact me at your earliest convenience.  If you can’t join us this year, please help spread the word to family and friends.  Ask them to save the date and visit www.peacecorpsconnect.org/dayofaction

      Thanks again for all you do.  Have a wonderful weekend!

      Jonathan

      Jonathan Pearson

      Advocacy Coordinator

      National Peace Corps Association

      1900 L Street – Suite 610   (Note we’ve moved upstairs)

      Washington , DC   20036

      202-293-7728, x-21

      jonathan@...