Call Senator Mikulski today! 202-224-4654

  • Joby Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2010
      Dear Friends,

      Yesterday I spoke with my friend Rajeev Goyal, an RPCV who has been working non-stop on the Hill to secure new support for the Peace Corps.  In the next few days our own Maryland Senator Barbara Mikulski could cast a deciding vote for a proposed $46 Million increase in the budget of the Peace Corps.   The House has already approved the increase and the vote is now with the 15 member Senate Appropriations Subcommittee.  The overall appropriations atmosphere is very tight, but if ever there was a time when a blast of calls and emails by an informed constituency could make a difference for the Peace Corps, this seems to be it.  Call today...then call again early next Week...and spread the word to Marylanders and all RPCVs to do the same.

      Take a minute and make your call!

      ~Joby

      Below you'll find all the message and contact info.  When you call Senator Mikulski, here are a couple specific points to add if you can:

      -  Peace Corps is turning 50 this year!  It's a pivotal moment for calling our citizens to service! (And Peace Corps gives great bang-for-buck)!
      -  Sargent Shriver is a lifelong Marylander!  Maryland has a special place in the history and future of the Peace Corps!
      -  Maryland benefits tremendously from Returned Peace Corps Volunteers!  RPCVs are a steady pipeline of experienced, entrepreneurial, and dedicated leaders for Maryland. (Peaceworker Program is a prime example!)

      Here's the info:

      Last week, the House of Representatives’ State and Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee approved a $46.15 million funding increase for the Peace Corps in 2011. In this time of fiscal austerity, it was a big win.

      Now, the key vote will be in the Senate.

      Within days, the 15 Members of the Senate State and Foreign Operations subcommittee, will likely decide whether or not to support the $46 million increase.

      If you are a constituent of one of the 15 subcommittee members, please contact your Senator now (sample text below, please personalize). You can also help by forwarding this newsletter on to friends and family urging them to take action. Key phone numbers and website links are listed below.

      One very positive factor is that the $46.15 million increase (already passed by the House subcommittee) is supported by the Administration, and the Senate subcommittee supported the President’s request last year. But this is no guarantee that it will do so again.

      If you are a constituent of one of the 15 Subcommittee Members, call now and say (please personalize and adapt this text):

      I am calling from ____ to encourage Senator ____ to support $46.15 million in additional funding for the Peace Corps in 2011. This is the amount requested by the administration’s budget to strengthen and expand the agency. Since 1961, Peace Corps volunteers have served the needs of people in developing countries while shaping how those people view America. Today, new countries are appealing for Peace Corps programs. Please take this momentous opportunity and support the $46.15 million increase recently approved by the House subcommittee. I appreciate your support.

      Democratic Subcommittee Members

      Republican Subcommittee Members