Re: Impressed with this forum

  • Janet Ward Pease
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 11, 2007

      I definitely agree that Mid City has something special going on in terms of interest and commitment.  I was recently writing a grant application for a project in which MCNO is involved.  The grant application asked this question:

      What major projects has your organization (i.e. MCNO) undertaken over the last 2 years and what were their results?

      Here is the answer I was able to give:

      Levee breaks following Hurricane Katrina severely flooded the Mid City neighborhood along with the rest of New Orleans 21 months ago (August 28, 2005).  80% of the housing in Mid City was either damaged or destroyed and all businesses were closed by the storm damage.  Since that time MCNO has initiated and/or coordinated a number of successful projects for rebuilding:

      (1) MCNO provided leadership and organization during the neighborhood post-Katrina recovery planning process (May-Sept, 2006) by surveying the neighborhood to provide statistics on vacant vs. occupied vs. under construction houses and businesses; by providing a committee structure for recovery planning activities; by advertising recovery meetings and assistance programs and coordinating recovery communication through its website and its email discussion group; and by holding weekly meetings in which  neighborhood residents met with government-appointed urban planners and participated in recovery decision-making. See www.mcno.org/plan for the resulting Mid City Plan and other relevant information.

      Since the completion of the Mid City plan, MCNO has been working to turn that plan into reality by hosting monthly "Recovery Action Meetings" where interested Mid City residents meet to advance recovery goals; and by undertaking numerous projects of which the following are a sample:

      (2)  Business Recovery Assistance - In November, 2006, MCNO's Economic Development Committee organized "Mid City's Open for Business", an informational forum for returning and prospective small business owners in the Mid City area.  This free event provided a "one-stop-shop" for business owners to learn about grants, loans, tax incentives and business services available to them in post-Katrina New Orleans .  Featured speakers and business fair representatives included the Louisiana Department of Economic Development; the Louisiana Small Business Development Center ; and the Small Business Association's Office of Disaster Assistance, along with nonprofits, banks and other resources.  In total, thirty-two businesses participated in the forum - 6 prospective businesses, 4 newly-opened businesses, and 22 returning businesses - and MCNO received extensive positive feedback from this event.

      (3) Birth of the Mid City Business Association ("MCBA") - This organization became a reality through efforts of MCNO's Economic Development committee and its membership was kicked off at the "Mid City's Open for Business" seminar (discussed above).  The MCBA, as planned, is now getting up and running on its own, emerging as a separate entity from MCNO.

      (4) New Mid City Library Branch - Residents working on the Mid City recovery plan were unanimous in asking for a library in the neighborhood.  (The last Mid City library branch was closed in 1958 when the new main Library was opened downtown.) MCNO's Education Committee applied for and received a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and SOLINET, a regional library service provider based in Atlanta , for the purpose of opening a temporary library branch in Mid City. The Committee raised funds to supplement the grant and worked closely with the staff of the New Orleans Public Library and the New Orleans City Council to make plans for the "temporary" branch to eventually become a permanent part of the system.  The library, in temporary quarters formerly occupied by a video store, will open this month.

      (5) New Mid City Community Center - MCNO's Green Space & Public Space Committee helped to land a major donation to the New Orleans Recreation Department ("NORD") for the purpose of constructing a community center in Mid City.   The donor, which will build the community center at a public playground site at no cost to NORD, is the California firm, DNA Creative Media, and its sponsors.  After Katrina, the company decided it wanted to create a community center for a flooded New Orleans neighborhood and film the building of the center as a "makeover" TV series which would draw attention to both the needs and the successes of New Orleans as it rebuilds.  MCNO members met with DNA and its chief sponsor, BrandSource, and convinced them that the project should be done at Comiskey Park in Mid City. MCNO then worked with City officials to explain the project and get approval.  MCNO also conducted public meetings to get community input on what the center should contain.  Then architects provided from DNA designed the center based on that input.  The center will be a 2-story building which will include an indoor NBA-sized basketball court; a 4-station kitchen with commercial grade appliances (to be used for cooking classes and demos); and a general purpose room for meetings, theater, dance & exercise.  A state-of-the-art computer lab with Internet access will encourage research by students of all ages as well as allowing families and friends still divided by the Katrina evacuation to keep in touch by email.  The contract between DNA and the City was signed on February 6th.  Demolition of derelict buildings on the site and construction of the new center is planned for later this year.

      ****************************

      Note that this list was trimmed of certain items (like MCNO's Endymion efforts and its work to represent the neighborhood's views to Victory Real Estate) which would not mean much to those outside the New Orleans area.  Still, I think the list is extremely impressive and I am proud to be part of Mid City and MCNO!!  Thanks to all who continue to make this a great place to live!!

      Janet

      Janet Ward Pease

      Web & Software Consultant

      Ward / Pease, LLC

      janet@...

      (504)450-2987

    • Sally Schur
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 11, 2007
        Pretty impressive!

        - Sally

        ************ ********* *******
        Note that this list was trimmed of certain items (like MCNO's Endymion efforts and its work to represent the neighborhood' s views to Victory Real Estate) which would not mean much to those outside the New Orleans area.  Still, I think the list is extremely impressive and I am proud to be part of Mid City and MCNO!!  Thanks to all who continue to make this a great place to live!!
        Janet
        Janet Ward Pease
        Web & Software Consultant
        Ward / Pease, LLC
        (504)450-2987

        Do you know what it means...

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      • pmobrien56
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 11, 2007
          --- In mcno@yahoogroups.com, Sally Schur <sallylynns2003@...> wrote:
          >Don't forget that MCNO made a valiant effort to open a very
          innovative charter school with incredible community involvement! It
          would have been a model for education in the 21st century.