Important- Please Read - New Year's Eve Bonfire

  • j.weishaupt@shell.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 16, 2008
      Important- Please Read - New Year's Eve Bonfire

      MCNO has been informed that the City of New Orleans is taking steps to prevent the New Year's Eve Bonfire (typically in the 4200 Block of Orleans Avenue), due to the risk to public safety and violation of a number of City codes.  An informational session will be jointly hosted by NOPD, NOFD, and Parks & Parkways on Monday December 22, 2008 at 6:30pm, at Grace Episcopal Church, 3700 Canal Street. The purpose of the session is to proactively inform residents and business owners about the City's enforcement plans for the night of the event.

      MCNO has questioned whether an engineered bonfire could receive a permit, and was told that City Code prevents any permit from being issued for an open burn on this neutral ground because of the proximity to homes.  MCNO also questioned whether any permits for a block party, without a fire, might be issued.  This is a possibility, should the organizers of the NYE event wish to pursue it through the normal permitting channels.

      Attached is a flyer for the Informational Session.  Please distribute this information to your Mid-City friends and neighbors.  Also note that NOFD representatives will be distributing these flyers door-to-door for a 2-3 block radius around the event site starting tomorrow.

      <<Bonfire Flyer 2008_2.jpg>>

      Jennifer Weishaupt
      President MCNO

    • jamestaylor6@cox.net
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 21, 2008
        Well said Mark, This is a thinly veiled attempt by an impotent mayor and police chief to show they still have control over something. They can't seem to provide basic services so they interject themselvesin an activity that is completely controlled by the citizensand actually works, something the administration can't seem to master(do something to make the lives of the citizens better that works).Jim