Re: [mcknightdnagenealogy] McKnights in Clay County Illinois

  • Jim McKnight
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 22, 2013
      Barb, after re-reading your post I decided to answer this again.

      DF13 is a downstream SNP of R-L21 (you can also think of it a a smaller branch of the R-L21 branch of the Phylogenetic  tree) therefore since you know that Smitty and I are DF13 there's no need to test upstream SNPs like R-L21. And that saves you money.

      FTDNA has different types of projects such as Surname projects (McKnight, Smith, Jones, etc), geographical projects (Cumberland Gap, Scottish, South Irish, etc.), and they also have projects based on SNP markers (R-L21, R1a, I1b, etc.). The advantage of being in several of these projects besides just a Surname project is that your STR markers are shared with a bigger audience. In addition, many of the admins who run these other projects are both citizen scientists and degreed scientists who are up to date on the science to the point that they are able to help both the science and the members of the projects. That's important because you get the combined knowledge of a group of experts rather  than the one or two who run a surname project. If they see something that is of significant or interesting in a member's STR markers then they can recommend what should be tested next, similar to what I recommended to you. I knew that because Smitty and I were closely related, then he was very likely DF13 and the $39 test confirmed it. That means you didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars doing multiple test like I did to find out I am DF13.

      There's also a forum called DNA Newbie that's a great resource for folks to learn and ask questions and get layman, not scientific, answers. The folks who run that forum are scientists, but they are also down-to-earth enough to know that most folks like me won't understand the scientific answer and need a layman's explanation.

      Hope this helps,
      Jim