Re: [mcknightdnagenealogy] Attn: Gail - DNA information

  • Gail Riddell
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 17, 2012
      Thank you.
      I shall look in more detail in a few hours time but be aware that whatever comments I make, they will be sorely curtailed and full of guesswork by your only having tested 25 markers.
      25 is a good start but they will only allow the most superficial of comments and discovery.  The moment you can finance it, please upgrade to 67 - this is fast becoming the new entry level, purely because of the incredible speed of discoveries in the last year or so.

      Do you wish me to post my comments to this forum?

      On 18/07/2012, at 12:37 PM, W McKnight wrote:

      Gail

      My kit number is 145150. I am hoping that I will find a match in this group. I have found several matches, including one that is perfect through 25 markers. That man and I can establish a link as recent as 1798. However, there is another man with whom I can establish a match, but there is a 1-mutation difference between our results.

      One of my 1-mutation matches is with a Matthew McKnight from New Zealand, but the others are in the USA.

      I would like to know as much as I can about the mutation in DYS388.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 17, 2012
        Jim

        There are several people in my line who have mistakenly tried to connect with your William. I know, however, that I can establish a paper trail to the William who came through Ireland via Charleston.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 18, 2012

          #145150 has requested comments about a "mutation in DYS 388, and hoping he matches a man (or men) in this group.

             There is a great deal of information in this answer, and I have widened it to generally extend to Clan D men:

          a)  DYS 388 – you do not have a "mutation in DYS 388" unless you are looking in another project and comparing your alleles with someone from one of those other projects.  But possibly you are looking at the Knight project?  And possibly you are asking about your "colours" attributed to the 15 "repeats" of DYS 388 as posted on that project site?  If so, then this colour is merely indicating the deviation from whosoever the administrator believes is the patriarch of your family's Haplotype.

          b)  What is Matthew (from NZ) kit number?

          c)  You are a member of the genetic family titled "Clan D" in the McKnight Project.

          And now to Clan D in general:

          Allow me state at the beginning that I have no idea of the genealogy of any McKnight family. The following comments are based purely on the DNA results found for those in Clan D.

           For those interested in what I write here, you will be aided if you first go to http://www.familytreedna.com/public/McKnight/  (there is no need to sign in) and scroll down to Clan D where you will see eight men and their Haplogroups (red=predicted or green=confirmed) and their Haplotypes (all the numbers running across the page against their names).

          1.     Although #145150 has tested to 25 markers, the others, excepting one, have tested higher and so the comparisons stop at DYS 464.

          2.     DYS 464 is classed as a "fast moving" multiple marker but it carries much more significance by looking at the number of "c"s and the "g"s of that marker.  (This test will cost about US$19).

          3.     The group all match at their levels of testing but I place no credence on #127273 results and only a little more on #145150.

          4.     Y-37 is an absolute minimum for testing and Y-67 is being frequently touted as necessary to get accuracy of comparisons.

          5.     Leaving #127273 aside, all the men in Clan D are family although it remains to be seen how distant their common ancestor is.

          6.     if all upgraded to say Y-67, I would be able to run what is sometimes titled a "Fluxus" report which would show precisely who branches off from whose family and at what point.  (Less than 67 is a "waste of time" and virtually meaningless).

          7.     #169408  and # 49763 are at what is called 60/67 which indicates their common ancestor is possibly 1,000 or more years back.  BUT, and it is a big "BUT", the differences are mostly in the fast moving markers which are unstable and do not conform to the "average" rule.  Therefore, if they are disregarded and each man's line has say 3-4 mutations each (either up or down), then the common ancestor may only be some 400 or 500 years ago.

          8.     #145150 and #32928 and #169408 indicate very close matching – I have seen grandfathers and grandsons with this sort of matching although I am not suggesting this has occurred here as each family has its own "average" of mutation frequencies.  But to be certain, #145150 must upgrade  and similar is also recommended for # 32928.  Once this is done, you may find that your results place you in a different DNA branch of this extended family of eight men.

          9.     I strongly recommend that #67786, #73625 and #32928 all join the  I2*, ISOGG new I2b, Project

          10. #145150 and #32928 are both stating their oldest ancestor's origin as Scotland and because #145150 states Ireland is the birthplace and the birth year of his oldest known ancestor I am led to wonder if their ancestors fled to Ireland from Scotland as a result of the terrible Covenanter times in Scotland a little earlier that century?

          11. I note there are "matching possibilities" with men in the "Knight" project  After discussing same with  your admin (Jim), perhaps some of the men currently in that project could be persuaded to join the McKnight project.

          In closing, I encourage all of you to please load your gedcoms to FTDNA.  In addition, if you have not already done so, please upload your Y DNA results to Y Search.  (You will find these options by logging into your FTDNA account and looking under your Y-DNA tab).

          --- In mcknightdnagenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Gail Riddell <gail.r@...> wrote:

          > Thank you.
          > I shall look in more detail in a few hours time but be aware that whatever comments I make, they will be sorely curtailed and full of guesswork by your only having tested 25 markers.
          > 25 is a good start but they will only allow the most superficial of comments and discovery. The moment you can finance it, please upgrade to 67 - this is fast becoming the new entry level, purely because of the incredible speed of discoveries in the last year or so.
          >
          > Do you wish me to post my comments to this forum?
          >

          > On 18/07/2012, at 12:37 PM, W McKnight wrote:
          >

          > > Gail
          > >
          > > My kit number is 145150. I am hoping that I will find a match in this group. I have found several matches, including one that is perfect through 25 markers. That man and I can establish a link as recent as 1798. However, there is another man with whom I can establish a match, but there is a 1-mutation difference between our results.
          > >
          > > One of my 1-mutation matches is with a Matthew McKnight from New Zealand, but the others are in the USA.
          > >
          > > I would like to know as much as I can about the mutation in DYS388.

        • mcknight77
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 18, 2012
            Joe, I know what you mean. I've had to do several trees for several lines to try to figure out which line I belong in. That's what I'm hoping DNA testing will help me with. Finding a match with someone in your line helps confirm the paper trail.

            Jim