Re: [mc505] Compression

  • bk
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Ed,
      Some ways sidechain can be used. Sidechain can also be used
      to add some funky effects by ducking tracks to the kick or snare
      hits.

      De-Essing

      Occasionally when recording vocals, the letter "s" seems to jump out louder than the rest of the part.
      This is because sibilant letters, especially the letter s, have more high frequency energy than other
      letters. This can cause tape recorders or other components to distort, even though the level may not
      seem very loud. This "sibilance" can sometimes be eliminated by moving the microphone, but often a
      de-esser is required.

      Many compressors allow you to perform de-essing on a track by using a sidechain. By placing an
      equalizer in the sidechain, you can set the compressor so that only certain frequency ranges trigger
      the unit to start compressing.

      The trick is to set the EQ to cut all frequencies except for the sibilant range, between 3-6kHz. Then
      set the compressor like this:

      Threshold set around 0dB

      Ratio set for 6:1

      Hardknee active

      Attack set at minimum

      Release set around 8 o'clock

      The Threshold should be set so that an "s" triggers about -3 to -6 dB of compression. If other sounds
      are triggering the compressor, you might need to adjust the EQ cutoff frequencies.

      Ducking

      Ducking is often used when doing voiceovers. It allows background music to automatically be turned
      down whenever a external source, such as an announcer's voice, begins to speak. You can also use
      ducking to have one instrument push the other out of the way, such as the bass guitar ducking every
      time the kick drum hits.

      To make the compressor into a ducker, plug the source into the inputs and plug the trigger into the
      sidechain. The Sidechain return isn't used in this example. In the example below, the sound of a radio
      announcer's voice will automatically turn the music down when he speaks and it will slowly fade back
      in after he stops:

      Set the compressor controls like this:

      Threshold set for +3dB (around 3 o'clock)

      Ratio set for 6:1

      OverEasy in

      Attack set around 9 o'clock

      Release set around 2 o'clock

      Plug the announcer's mic into the mixer, and feed that mic to the compressor's Sidechain in. When the
      announcer speaks, the music will duck down (turn the ratio up to duck it even lower). When he finishes
      speaking, the music will fade back up at a rate set by the Release knob.

      trance-head@... wrote:

      > Could someone explain "side chaining" with a compressor....I noticed this in the compressor specs.
      >
      > Ed

    • Ravi Sharma
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2000
        Very good post!