15 years of MC-505

  • Michael Bingaman
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 14, 2013
      I just sent this to Roland figured, I'd share it here.

      Hi Roland,

      The MC-505 was the first instrument I ever bought when I was 16. I worked an entire summer and bought it. And I still used it today in a live performance.

      I think I know it about as well as anyone, so I just wanted to give you some feedback.

      First, I think there were 3 updates total. Did you achieve perfection on that 1.07 version of the system? I don't think so. Maybe there just aren't that many people who really took the time to learn it who would bother updating it to make that kind of effort worthwhile and you'd rather ship a complete product and not release later updates. Fine. But it didn't make me feel that great about buying new Roland gear after that (though I've bought plenty of older Roland gear since then :)

      It would be really, really nice if you could start recording without having to stop the pattern. You could always hit record and play and then record again to start playback without recording, but similarly, even then you can't get to step recording mode without stopping the pattern. The point is, a "groovebox" shouldn't have to stop the groove to edit it.

      It would also be nice if you could edit the length of the pattern while it is playing. Or set a different loopback point or play the sequence backwards or in a random order, etc.

      Every time I look at that set of 8 faders I wish there were a way to enter notes on a single part with it.

      Not being able to remove the preset patterns and having a preset load initially is still a major annoyance after all these years. The preset sounds are servicable, the patterns though have not dated well and I don't think they were that good to begin with.

      Of course, I'm not actually expecting Roland to release updates for a 15 year old piece of gear. What could be interesting is if you released the operating system under an open source license and allow those of us who still use it to continue to work with it.
    • Jeremy Hart
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 14, 2013
        brilliant!  if they made the OS open-source after all this time... wow... i would definitely buy another one.
      • Daniel Andersen
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 15, 2013
          yeah !!!!!!! lets do it!!!!!

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 15, 2013
            Probably never going to happen. Response from Roland:
            Thanks for the email - it is always great to hear from folks who are still using our older gear. Unfortunately, Roland considers all of the operating systems and code used as proprietary company property, so they do not release this information. Sorry.

            It's too bad. There was a thread a few years ago on the MC909 forum basically hoping and praying (and considering putting a kitty together) that someone would do the equivalent of the MPC JJOS thing with the 909 and actually pick up where Roland left it. As it stands, Roland shipped both the 505 and the 909 and then let them whither on the vine. I realize I'm probably the just the latest person who has given up on them. In addition the MPC, I've seen reverse engineered firmware for the Juno 60, Jupiter, Prophet 600, 303 etc. Of course these are all much more desirable to begin with. The 1.07 firmware update is still available as a download if anyone wants to have a try at figuring out what's going on there. As far as I'm concerned the groovebox OS is basically abandonware at this point. I love all the sound sculpting controls that are available, and the sound of the box itself if you just think of it as a massively overspec'd digital drum machine, it's really just about removing those preset patterns and a few fixes to the sequencer for me.

            All the people out there begging Roland to reissue their 80s classics (303 etc) would probably be better served begging them to support the hardware that is already out there. Oh well.

            Mike

            On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Daniel Andersen <discodalle@...> wrote:

            yeah !!!!!!! lets do it!!!!!

            On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Jeremy Hart <jchart01@...> wrote:

            brilliant!  if they made the OS open-source after all this time... wow... i would definitely buy another one.

          • root studio
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 15, 2013
              i'm quite surprised that Roland even bothered to answer your email.

              I can see how dropping into record would be a great feature, probably
              simple to implement and actually quite an oversight. Wiping the
              presets, however is impossible. They're in ROM. Of course, the OS of
              the 505 is abandonware. So is the OS of every device after its life
              cycle. Big expensive Lexicon reverbs, Fairlight, Alesis Midiverb, not
              to mention that mobile phones from 2004. I wish someone would service
              my Synclavier floppy drive! At least the 505 is holding on :-)

              Stefan

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 15, 2013
                It wouldn't be too hard to argue that it was not maintained during it's lifecycle either. ;)

                Looking at the service notes it looks to me like the user data (IC5) and program (IC4) use the same LH28F800SUT-70 8MB flash memory chip...and the data is versioned (1.0 still) which leads me to believe it's possible. I'm not trying to save my patterns to the preset area either, I just want them removed entirely. Or at least have it boot with user 1 selected!

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 16, 2013
                  I agree it's annoying that it always comes up with that damn same
                  pattern! Powering up to the last active state would be much nicer.

                  On Jul 16, 2013, at 1:43 AM, Michael Bingaman wrote:

                  > It wouldn't be too hard to argue that it was not maintained during
                  > it's lifecycle either. ;)
                  >
                  > Looking at the service notes it looks to me like the user data (IC5)
                  > and program (IC4) use the same LH28F800SUT-70 8MB flash memory
                  > chip...and the data is versioned (1.0 still) which leads me to
                  > believe it's possible. I'm not trying to save my patterns to the
                  > preset area either, I just want them removed entirely. Or at least
                  > have it boot with user 1 selected!
                  >

                  > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM, root studio <rootstudio@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > i'm quite surprised that Roland even bothered to answer your email.
                  >
                  > I can see how dropping into record would be a great feature, probably
                  > simple to implement and actually quite an oversight. Wiping the
                  > presets, however is impossible. They're in ROM. Of course, the OS of
                  > the 505 is abandonware. So is the OS of every device after its life
                  > cycle. Big expensive Lexicon reverbs, Fairlight, Alesis Midiverb, not
                  > to mention that mobile phones from 2004. I wish someone would service
                  > my Synclavier floppy drive! At least the 505 is holding on :-)
                  >
                  > Stefan
                  >

                  > On Jul 15, 2013, at 11:30 PM, Michael Bingaman wrote:
                  >

                  > > Probably never going to happen. Response from Roland:
                  > > Thanks for the email - it is always great to hear from folks who are
                  > > still using our older gear. Unfortunately, Roland considers all of
                  > > the operating systems and code used as proprietary company property,
                  > > so they do not release this information. Sorry.
                  > >
                  > > It's too bad. There was a thread a few years ago on the MC909 forum
                  > > basically hoping and praying (and considering putting a kitty
                  > > together) that someone would do the equivalent of the MPC JJOS thing
                  > > with the 909 and actually pick up where Roland left it. As it
                  > > stands, Roland shipped both the 505 and the 909 and then let them
                  > > whither on the vine. I realize I'm probably the just the latest
                  > > person who has given up on them. In addition the MPC, I've seen
                  > > reverse engineered firmware for the Juno 60, Jupiter, Prophet 600,
                  > > 303 etc. Of course these are all much more desirable to begin with.
                  > > The 1.07 firmware update is still available as a download if anyone
                  > > wants to have a try at figuring out what's going on there. As far as
                  > > I'm concerned the groovebox OS is basically abandonware at this
                  > > point. I love all the sound sculpting controls that are available,
                  > > and the sound of the box itself if you just think of it as a
                  > > massively overspec'd digital drum machine, it's really just about
                  > > removing those preset patterns and a few fixes to the sequencer for
                  > > me.
                  > >
                  > > All the people out there begging Roland to reissue their 80s
                  > > classics (303 etc) would probably be better served begging them to
                  > > support the hardware that is already out there. Oh well.
                  > >

                  > > Mike

                • Michael Bingaman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 16, 2013
                  Here is the only particularly interesting thing I've found in my digging so far...

                  ldr H. Ishizaki
                  ldr T. Fujioka
                  ldr K. Shibue
                  spec F. Matubara
                  snd S. Yoshida
                  seq T. Komori
                  dsp T. Shimizu
                  hard T. Nakano
                  hard T. Kubota
                  hard Y. Sugahara
                  hard Y. Maruyama
                  desgn K. Terada
                  data S. Takai
                  wave Koji.Oe
                  wave d01
                  card Y. Kumai
                  midi T. Katagiri
                  mech S. Matumoto
                  ptn cool DJs very Thanks!!

                  :D

                  On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 5:47 AM, root studio <rootstudio@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  > > reverse engineered firmware for the Juno 60, Jupiter, Prophet 600,
                  > > 303 etc. Of course these are all much more desirable to begin with.
                  > > The 1.07 firmware update is still available as a download if anyone
                  > > wants to have a try at figuring out what's going on there. As far as
                  > > I'm concerned the groovebox OS is basically abandonware at this
                  > > point. I love all the sound sculpting controls that are available,
                  > > and the sound of the box itself if you just think of it as a
                  > > massively overspec'd digital drum machine, it's really just about
                  > > removing those preset patterns and a few fixes to the sequencer for
                  > > me.
                  > >
                  > > All the people out there begging Roland to reissue their 80s
                  > > classics (303 etc) would probably be better served begging them to
                  > > support the hardware that is already out there. Oh well.

                • root studio
                  Message 9 of 21 , Jul 17, 2013
                    Wow, the whole crew it seems. I think there were also credits in the
                    manual for the demo patterns. Could be it was a different piece of
                    Roland gear, but I know they are pretty good with acknowledging their
                    artists. Not a lot of companies can say the same thing.

                    Stefan

                  • Michael Bingaman
                    Message 10 of 21 , Jul 17, 2013
                      Yup, all the cool DJs got credits in the manual...though I don't think the team that built it got credits anywhere. This seems to be a credits screen, though I haven't figured out how to bring it up. It's close to the test mode info in the source.

                      Message 11 of 21 , Jul 17, 2013
                        It might be an 'easteregg'. Hold at least 3 buttons while turning it
                        on, wave your hand vigorously across the D-Beam while recalling preset
                        23, or press record 10 times in a row... something like that ;-)

                        On Jul 17, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Michael Bingaman wrote:

> [...]
                        > > not
                        > > > to mention that mobile phones from 2004. I wish someone would
                        > > service
                        > > > my Synclavier floppy drive! At least the 505 is holding on :-)
                        > > >
                        > > > Stefan

                        > > are
                        > all of
                        > > property,

                        > > forum
                        > > thing
                        > them
                        > 600,
                        > > with.
                        > > anyone
                        > > far as
                        > available,
                        > about
                        > > for

                        > them to

                        > > Attachment(s) from Michael Bingaman
                        > >
                        > > 1 of 1 Photo(s)
                        > >

                        > > Screen shot 2013-07-16 at 8.48.28 PM.png

                      • Joseph Gingerich
                        Message 12 of 21 , Jul 17, 2013

                          I can certify that the MC-505 manual does credit the writers of each pattern in the back of the manual.  I am excited to see if reverse engineering the 505 is possible.  I am thinking the last pattern memory on boot may not be possible since there is no shutdown sequence on the 505.  Turning off the power switch just cuts the power.

                        • Michael Bingaman
                          Message 13 of 21 , Jul 18, 2013
                            Honestly, I would be fine with user pattern 01 loading. Saving state is possible after power off if you're saving it all along, which is what most other instruments do.

                            The real biggest problem for me with the 505 which I forgot to mention is that there is no way to back it up over midi. You can either back up single patterns or patches. I don't think there is a way to back up drum kits either. But it really needs a system dump and restore that doesn't rely on totally obsolete media. Even drum machines from 5 years previous can do it (eg Roland r-70). That's the single biggest oversight as far as I'm concerned, especially since the smartmedia cards are now pretty much impossible to get.

                            Some smart people have swapped out disk drives on MPCs and various Korgs...SCSI/IDE is obviously not smartmedia...there are smartmedia to xd converters but i doubt that would work with 5v...though it might be worth a try.

                            I actually have a 5V smartmedia card which can be formatted, written to and read by a computer, but when I try to format it on the 505 it does the format and then I get a Wrong Card error. If it's like old Olympus cameras there could be something weird in the boot sector?

                            Anyway, I ran the first 2 tests which passed, which got me to the smartmedia test, which wants me to insert a protected smartmedia card. Nothing happens when I insert the card, which makes me think there could be a problem with the card reader itself. Since there was no response I checked the voltage on pins 1 2 and 7 of IC25. I do get 5v on pin 1 with the card inserted. No reading on IC57 pin3 and the service notes don't really mention what it should be.  The problem may just be that the card needs to be formatted. That isn't working obviously.

                            In the course of this poking, I seem to have corrupted the user memory, as it now shows 'no media' when I go to the user preset patterns or patches. So basically it looks like I've likely wiped out what I was trying to back up in the first place. Anyone have any ideas of things to try before resetting everything and crying in the corner?

                            Message 14 of 21 , Jul 18, 2013
                              It can't save memory with a MIDI sysex dump??? That's absurd. Not that
                              I've tried it, but considering how far you're inside the machine, I'm
                              sure you know. That's ridiculous. Sysex dumps were around long before
                              the 505 and actually a very nice and portable way to save your stuff.
                              I still have some D-50 patches here. I don't even have the machine any
                              longer, but I could load the sequence and put the patches right back.
                              That thing came out in what... 1987?

                              Sorry I can't help you with the card problem, since I never used a SM
                              card.

                              On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Michael Bingaman wrote:

                              > Honestly, I would be fine with user pattern 01 loading. Saving state
                              > is possible after power off if you're saving it all along, which is
                              > what most other instruments do.
                              >
                              > The real biggest problem for me with the 505 which I forgot to
                              > mention is that there is no way to back it up over midi. You can
                              > either back up single patterns or patches. I don't think there is a
                              > way to back up drum kits either. But it really needs a system dump
                              > and restore that doesn't rely on totally obsolete media. Even drum
                              > machines from 5 years previous can do it (eg Roland r-70). That's
                              > the single biggest oversight as far as I'm concerned, especially
                              > since the smartmedia cards are now pretty much impossible to get.
                              >
                              > Some smart people have swapped out disk drives on MPCs and various
                              > Korgs...SCSI/IDE is obviously not smartmedia...there are smartmedia
                              > to xd converters but i doubt that would work with 5v...though it
                              > might be worth a try.
                              >
                              > I actually have a 5V smartmedia card which can be formatted, written
                              > to and read by a computer, but when I try to format it on the 505 it
                              > does the format and then I get a Wrong Card error. If it's like old
                              > Olympus cameras there could be something weird in the boot sector?
                              >
                              > Anyway, I ran the first 2 tests which passed, which got me to the
                              > smartmedia test, which wants me to insert a protected smartmedia
                              > card. Nothing happens when I insert the card, which makes me think
                              > there could be a problem with the card reader itself. Since there
                              > was no response I checked the voltage on pins 1 2 and 7 of IC25. I
                              > do get 5v on pin 1 with the card inserted. No reading on IC57 pin3
                              > and the service notes don't really mention what it should be. The
                              > problem may just be that the card needs to be formatted. That isn't
                              > working obviously.
                              >
                              > In the course of this poking, I seem to have corrupted the user
                              > memory, as it now shows 'no media' when I go to the user preset
                              > patterns or patches. So basically it looks like I've likely wiped
                              > out what I was trying to back up in the first place. Anyone have any
                              > ideas of things to try before resetting everything and crying in the
                              > corner?
                              >

                              > On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Joseph Gingerich
                              > <otakujoe@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > I can certify that the MC-505 manual does credit the writers of each
                              > pattern in the back of the manual. I am excited to see if reverse
                              > engineering the 505 is possible. I am thinking the last pattern
                              > memory on boot may not be possible since there is no shutdown
                              > sequence on the 505. Turning off the power switch just cuts the
                              > power.

                            • Michael Bingaman

                                Message 16 of 21 , Jul 19, 2013

                                  I hadn't considered "save state as you go" until after I posted.  Glad to know Bulk Dump is only the selected pattern!  I did not read the manual closely enough, and have assumed I had a full backup all these years!  And is anyone still selling retrofit LCDs for the 505?  I have the lines of doom on mine and would like to fix it.

                                • Michael Bingaman
                                  Message 17 of 21 , Jul 19, 2013
                                    I got mine from stressfx at http://mc505display.com/

                                    Though an LCD display itself is only about a $5 part, but the wiring needs to be adjusted (which he does for you). It still ends up being a hassle due to the fact that you need to increase the size of the hole the display sits in with a dremel or a file. Once it's in place it is much, much better though.

                                    This youtube video might help if you want to get the cheaper display and wire it yourself:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4CodxFR1s

                                    Back to the bulk dump, even the MC303 could do it, so it's possible there is a way which just isn't in the documentation. When I get my user memory working again I will try the 303 method - it was function-shift-16. Worth a try anyway.

                                    Mike

                                    On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Joseph Gingerich <otakujoe@...> wrote:

                                    I hadn't considered "save state as you go" until after I posted.  Glad to know Bulk Dump is only the selected pattern!  I did not read the manual closely enough, and have assumed I had a full backup all these years!  And is anyone still selling retrofit LCDs for the 505?  I have the lines of doom on mine and would like to fix it.

                                  • ram zing
                                    Message 18 of 21 , Jul 19, 2013
                                      I'm amazed that after all these years there's still some activity here. I just figured everyone had moved on to software!

                                      Hope you get it working the way you want.

                                      Raam

                                      Message 19 of 21 , Jul 19, 2013
                                        Actually, after all these years, starting about 6 months ago, I started using the mc505 more often, after not touching it for years. I have a live rig that includes the machine drum and a command station among other hardware and a computer using Ableton Live.

                                        But 6 months ago I set up a separate studio (a museum mostly given my lack of time) with lots of synths and a computer, and since my machine drum is not part of that .... the MC505 has come back into use, mainly as an impromptu drum machine to put beats behind fun jamming on the synths.

                                        My LCD is shot though...

                                        Ravi

                                        On Jul 19, 2013, at 2:53 PM, ram zing <ramzing@...> wrote:

[...]

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                           Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                           mc505-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                           mc505-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      • ram zing
                                        Message 20 of 21 , Jul 19, 2013
                                          I replaced my mc505 with a jx305 a few years back. It's not the same!

                                          Raam

                                          Message 21 of 21 , Jul 24, 2013

                                            I have lots of experience with soldering, so the diy option looks like more fun, and a lot less money.  I didn't know the lcd was an off-the shelf part.  Thanks for the pointer!  I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks when I have time to do it.