Skip to search.

Any interest in replacement LCDs still?

  • mem_82
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
      I am an electronic engineering student and I repair electrical equipment part-time. I've repaired a couple of these MC-505s now, but the one I'm currently working on is the first one that had a bad LCD. After doing some research I find that this isn't an uncommon problem with these, and that RightKeyRepair has quit selling replacements.

      As he posted the PCB file here, it's easy to have it made for the new LCD units. However, for it to be cost-effective, I'd prefer to order a larger quantity of them. Is there still a large demand for these out there?

      Alternatively, for those who have enough electronics skills to do some basic soldering, I could also just populate the board with the flat ribbon connector and just sell out the boards by themselves, as at that point the only thing you would have to do is solder wires from your replacement LCD to the adapter board and plug the ribbon cable in.
    • Alejandro
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
        Hallo!
        I am interested, any idea how much could cost the LCD?
        Greets.
      • mem_82
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
          I will need to gather some more information, but probably about the same as what RightKeyRepair was charging, which as I recall was about $50.

          --- In mc505@yahoogroups.com, "Alejandro" <arte_boliviano@...> wrote:

          > Hallo!
          > I am interested, any idea how much could cost the LCD?
          > Greets.

        • Neil Pike
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
            Hi,
            yeah, I'd be really interested in buying one.
            Cheers

[...]

          • zeev jelinek
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
              Hi
              I am interested to in buying one

              Thanks

              Zeev

            • mem_82
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
                Ok, it looks like there is some interest in these still, so I will go forward with getting a batch done. I'll post progress information as I go along.

                --- In mc505@yahoogroups.com, zeev jelinek <mushmu@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > I am interested to in buying one
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Zeev

              • alexandro carrera
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
                  hello
                  I'm intrested in buy one LCD

                  Alex
                  From México.
                  waitting for your response

                  BR

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2011
                    Hello
                    I'm intrested in buying one lcd I'm fron Mexico

                    BR
                    Alex

                  • killian.denny@btinternet.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                      I will be needing one - though I'm too broke to buy one this very minute. As soon as I have a little more cash I'll get one.

                      If you make them, you'll definitely sell them over time. The display problem is very common.

                      --- In mc505@yahoogroups.com, alexandro carrera <valladares43@...> wrote:

                      > Hello
                      > I'm intrested in buying one lcd I'm fron Mexico
                      >
                      > BR
                      > Alex

                    • Maxim Porges
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                        I'd be interested in the self-soldering option as well if my display ever goes out. So far, so good *knock on wood* :)

                        -
                         max

                        On Mar 8, 2011, at 5:44 AM, killian.denny@... wrote:

                        I will be needing one - though I'm too broke to buy one this very minute. As soon as I have a little more cash I'll get one.

                        If you make them, you'll definitely sell them over time. The display problem is very common.

                        --- In mc505@yahoogroups.com, alexandro carrera <valladares43@...> wrote:

                        > Hello
                        > I'm intrested in buying one lcd I'm fron Mexico
                        >
                        > BR
                        > Alex

                      • Bimbleweed franjypants
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011

                          Hi,

                          I botched mine when trying to replace with a standard hd-87... LCD. I would be interested in you having a look, I could pay you. Are you based in UK by any chance?

                          cheers,

                          Jon

[...]

                        • Rob Morrow

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 9, 2011

                              It's okay, I think the shipping is fairly expensive, so will find someone in the UK. Thanks anyway,

                              Jon

[...]

                            • Andy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 9, 2011
                                I would also be interested in buying LCD Screen

                                Andy
                                UK

                                Sent from my iPhone
                              • mem_82
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 10, 2011
                                  Ok everyone, I've joined a group buy on a PCB run, and I'll be ordering LCDs within a couple weeks. Expect replacements to be available in around two months.

                                  --- In mc505@yahoogroups.com, "mem_82" <rmorrow@...> wrote:

                                  > I am an electronic engineering student and I repair electrical equipment part-time. I've repaired a couple of these MC-505s now, but the one I'm currently working on is the first one that had a bad LCD. After doing some research I find that this isn't an uncommon problem with these, and that RightKeyRepair has quit selling replacements.
                                  >
                                  > As he posted the PCB file here, it's easy to have it made for the new LCD units. However, for it to be cost-effective, I'd prefer to order a larger quantity of them. Is there still a large demand for these out there?
                                  >
                                  > Alternatively, for those who have enough electronics skills to do some basic soldering, I could also just populate the board with the flat ribbon connector and just sell out the boards by themselves, as at that point the only thing you would have to do is solder wires from your replacement LCD to the adapter board and plug the ribbon cable in.

                                • Ravi Ivan Sharma
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 10, 2011
                                    I will take one as well. Thanks!