Re: RnB shaker programming?

  • modularjack@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2010
      Best way to get nice percussion lines is usually to play them in with quantize set to OFF so you can play triplets and different rhythms and stuff yourself... You gotta have good timing to do it this way though. Another way is to quantize it to straight 16ths while recording and then turn on shuffle quantize to try to add back in some of that natural feeling, but there's no set pattern really for shakers.

      The other thing to consider is that real shakers never sound the same each time you shake em, so if you are just using one pad for a shaker you are probably gonna have trouble making natural sounding shaker riffs. If you have no more keys to use in your drumkit I'd make sure to turn up the random pitch setting for your shaker, maybe a dash of random pan, and then set it so velocity tweaks the cutoff setting a little bit as well (so weak hits get filtered more and sound duller). If every shaker note sounds the same as the last one, it's gonna sound kinda lame and static, even if you get a nice bouncey pattern going.

      Really the best approach for natural shakers (and in fact any percussion like bongos etc) is to set up a whole block of keys to slightly different shakers and use them all while inputting the rhythm. I usually do this in the 'hits' and 'other' category at the top of the keyboard, since by default roland has loaded them with a lot of weak lame samples like 'ohhh yea baby' and weird blips etc. And doing this you can still just mute the whole shaker line by pressing the mute for 'hits' on the rhythm track. I use the whole range of 'hits' as a bunch of shakers (I think there are 6 or 7 keys to set up), and 'other' would be a bunch of bongos or whatever.

      Mix and match a couple/few waveforms, pan/filter/pitch them all a little differently and when you're playing your shaker line move your hand around the range of keys, don't just keep hammering that same shaker sound. Important to put them all into the same mute group too in the wave settings, so shaker X doesn't play on top of shaker Y, they kind of blend into each other. This technique works really good for me, I'll usually use like two or three different waveforms with different pitch and filter settings for each key. Also, really explore the waveforms in the box too, there's some great stuff to use in there that's not labeled 'shaker'. I get a lot of nice metallic shaker lines using the sleighbell and tambourine waveforms, and even made some pretty cool ones with the various noise samples white/pink/etc... using noise you gotta play with your amp and filter envelopes a bit to get it to sound like a shaker though.