my new(ish) 505

  • Jeremy Hart
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      I finally got another MC505. My original is back in the US far and away from me. I was hoping to get a cheap one off of Ebay... and indeed it started cheap but the shipping and customs fees ending costing and additional $250!!! FUKT!!!

      The LCD seems pristine as does the metal of the face and the RPS keys.  Oddly though the power cord and knobs seem different, cheaper, flimsier, it makes me wonder if it's a refurbished B-stock.

      Anyway, any of you people still using this machine? I used to make some thick evil chewns on this machine back in the day and am hoping my creative 505 juices may have mutated a bit in the interim.

      My biggest complaint is that I cannot use more than one effect at a time. I want to have the Lo-Fi, Slicer and Distortion at the same time. I'm not so good with the synthesis potential of this beast so if you all have any advice on making distortions, choppiness and glitchiness without using the effects please let me know.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Genjutsushi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007

        Hey Jchart.

        You cant use more than one effect at a time. If you want to do that youll need to use something like a 909 or 808 instead. However, you can use the LFOs to simulate the slicer / choppiness effect. I'm not at home at the mo, but will post a couple of patch descriptions / walkthroughs later.

        Have you got any ideas regarding artists that you like the sound of so that i have a frame of reference?

        Gen

        To: mc505@yahoogroups.com
        From: jchart01@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:27:08 -0700
        Subject: [mc505] my new(ish) 505

[...]

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        Get free emoticon packs and customisation from Windows Live. Pimp My Live!
      • Jeremy Hart
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
          Gen,

          I'm still waiting on those walkthroughs.  :P

          I can't really compare my 505 work to anyone I can think of.  I would probably compare it to the genres of terrorcore and power-electronics... like neoindustrial... I don't know if you understand that.

          Basically a slow (111.1 BPM) HEAVILY distorted bass drum, actually usually layers of bass drums some reversed 808s and straight 909s all aiming towards maximum sludge.  I usually have 3 or 4 of those on the 8 parts and then I use the Part Select flip flop to switch to a binary phrase of weird sound effects (also HEAVILY distorted) on the other 4 parts.  It makes for interesting unexpected trailing sounds.

          At 111.1 BPM it kind of lulls you in, but the unexpected reversals and glitchy chattering sound effects randomly interspersed keep you awake.

          It's like retard rock for the hardcore heads... maybe...  :P

          I would like to have Slicer like effects on top of the Distortions for sure... it would add more dimension and movement.

          Thanks,
          Jchart

          To: mc505@yahoogroups. com