Re: [mc505] different questions (mastering, computer,...)

  • G e r a e u s c h d i c h t e
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2004
      waw drk, you really dove into the matter! thanks!

      > Not sure what to think after working through all
      > this.

      but as a result of what you wrote and what i already
      knew i have made a decision :o)

      the rme hdsp cards would force me into pci-only
      soundcard solutions. if i'd ever buy a laptop, i'd
      have to buy an additional souncard to use with it.
      also, when trying to get as many in/outs and
      flexibility as the fireface, it would cost me about
      the same as the fireface would cost me. add to that
      that it has firewire, so can easily be connected to
      another computer/laptop, and - very important - it can
      be used for live shows without computer, which
      wouldn't be possible with the pci-soundcards.

      if i'd need more analog ins, i could just add one of
      those behringer ada8000 units for a total of 18 analog
      ins. + adat + s/pdif!
      sounds like the most flexible solution.

      so the fireface it will be.
      combined with a dual 1.8 g5 powermac with 2 gb ram,
      which i'll buy just across the border where i'll pay
      the equivalent of more than 600 us dollars less.

      thanks for all the advice! really helpful.
      i hope i'll be up and running in about two weeks.

      thanks again
      hans

      =====
      feindbild musik: check http://www.electrobel.be, user feindbild
      http://www.etherialdawn.be
      http://www.isabellableeds.com
      http://www.spectre.be
      -|[ G E R Ä U S C H D I C H T E ]|-

      Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de
    • drK
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2004
        Well hopefully it will work out as planned (I think it will). I thought
        some more last night after writing the previous post and concluded in
        my own heart that if RME is what someone wants then the FF800 is the
        best answer, especially for a Mac user due to the limited slots, and as
        you pointed out the ability to use it with either laptop or desktop. I
        personally believe that RME is a better long-term choice than a MOTU
        828 MKII.

        drK

        On Dec 1, 2004, at 7:32 AM, G e r a e u s c h d i c h t e wrote:

        > waw drk, you really dove into the matter! thanks!
        >

        >> Not sure what to think after working through all
        >> this.
        >
        > but as a result of what you wrote and what i already
        > knew i have made a decision :o)
        >
        > the rme hdsp cards would force me into pci-only
        > soundcard solutions. if i'd ever buy a laptop, i'd
        > have to buy an additional souncard to use with it.
        > also, when trying to get as many in/outs and
        > flexibility as the fireface, it would cost me about
        > the same as the fireface would cost me. add to that
        > that it has firewire, so can easily be connected to
        > another computer/laptop, and - very important - it can
        > be used for live shows without computer, which
        > wouldn't be possible with the pci-soundcards.
        >
        > if i'd need more analog ins, i could just add one of
        > those behringer ada8000 units for a total of 18 analog
        > ins. + adat + s/pdif!
        > sounds like the most flexible solution.
        >
        > so the fireface it will be.
        > combined with a dual 1.8 g5 powermac with 2 gb ram,
        > which i'll buy just across the border where i'll pay
        > the equivalent of more than 600 us dollars less.
        >
        > thanks for all the advice! really helpful.
        > i hope i'll be up and running in about two weeks.
        >
        > thanks again
        > hans
        >

        > =====
        > feindbild musik: check http://www.electrobel.be, user feindbild
        > http://www.etherialdawn.be
        > http://www.isabellableeds.com
        > http://www.spectre.be
        > -|[ G E R Ä U S C H D I C H T E ]|-

        > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier
        > anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de

        drK

        www.delora.com/music
        drk.iuma.com
      • dan torangeau
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 1, 2004
          I totally agree with this, no one should buy internal anything anymore, it
          will become obsolete
          soon... get external dvd writers, hd's etc... they are perfect, small,
          rugged, portable...
          even hot swapable and move them from one computer to another.
          I did buy internal drives cuz there dirt cheap.
          Dan.

          Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new
          MSN Search! Check it out!
        • G e r a e u s c h d i c h t e
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 1, 2004
            http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3243&highlight=behringer

            teaser:
            "Yes, ADA8000 is based on Alesis (now WaveFront
            Semiconductors) A/D (AL1101), D/A (AL1201), an ADAT
            encoder (OptoGen AL1401) and an ADAT receiver (OptoRec
            AL1402).
            Take a look at application notes and datasheets.
            The ADA8000 is a copy of the RME AEB8-I (I had schem
            for it if you want), and the schem is simply an
            expansion to 8 channels (instead of 2)of the appnote
            given by Alesis for OptoGen and OptoRec."

            =====
            feindbild musik: check http://www.electrobel.be, user feindbild
            http://www.etherialdawn.be
            http://www.isabellableeds.com
            http://www.spectre.be
            -|[ G E R Ä U S C H D I C H T E ]|-

            Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 250MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de
          • drK
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2004
              Thanks Hans for the great link, right up my alley! Not surprised the
              Behringer is so similar to a top-rated product. They have a reputation
              of learning from their competitors and then making the product very
              inexpensively in China.

              drK

              On Dec 1, 2004, at 9:07 PM, G e r a e u s c h d i c h t e wrote:

              > http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
              > t=3243&highlight=behringer
              >
              > teaser:
              > "Yes, ADA8000 is based on Alesis (now WaveFront
              > Semiconductors) A/D (AL1101), D/A (AL1201), an ADAT
              > encoder (OptoGen AL1401) and an ADAT receiver (OptoRec
              > AL1402).
              > Take a look at application notes and datasheets.
              > The ADA8000 is a copy of the RME AEB8-I (I had schem
              > for it if you want), and the schem is simply an
              > expansion to 8 channels (instead of 2)of the appnote
              > given by Alesis for OptoGen and OptoRec."
              >

              > =====
              > feindbild musik: check http://www.electrobel.be, user feindbild
              > http://www.etherialdawn.be
              > http://www.isabellableeds.com
              > http://www.spectre.be
              > -|[ G E R Ä U S C H D I C H T E ]|-

              > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 250MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier
              > anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de

              drK

              www.delora.com/music
              drk.iuma.com