jetgroove warning

  • Shara
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      hi folks...not sure how relevant this may be for some of you, but just in case...shara.

      at least they got back to you. i wrote several e-mails and never got an answer... i know that, amongst others, kompakt distribution is about to take legal steps in the name of their exclusive labels (which mine, indigo:inc, is one of). this whole thing sucks.

      best,
      susanne

      At 12:50    +0100 21.10.2004, Lerato wrote:

      myself and the guys from level records in duselldorf , got in touch with these prats .their legal representation got back to us and said that they will not sell any of the product on their site, without prior permission. which amazed, because they went as far as having our product on our site , and when were  they thinking of approaching us for that permission . i have since contacted them to ask them to remove our product from their site, and this request was ignored. we have since tried to liase with other smaller, labels  and unfortunately due to the fact that we can't  afford legal fees, the only  way is for us to let the public know , about these assholes !

      Electric Indigo wrote:
      Subject: Jetgroove

      After Kazaa, there is a new threat to artists, and it is in websites like jetgroove.com.

      There is only one way to save us from this threat; through awareness.
      7 steps to save the independent record industry :

      I - Everybody have to be aware that the Russian based company "JetGroove", www.jetgroove.com is selling music illegally.

      Even though Ulukman Mamytov, JetGroove legal department's spokesman, states on their website JetGroove signed license agreements with all the labels sold on its site, this is a false information and it is mistaking the customer.

      II- They are selling music downloaded from Kazaa and other P2P networks:

      To build up their music library of music files, they downloaded them from P2P networks and then re-encoded them.

      III - JetGroove is not British, but a Russian company:

      a- They are renting a British address in London at "Douglas Company Services", http://www.douglas-cs.co.uk/, to show they are legit and an English company.
      The address provided by Douglas Company Services is:
           Regent House,
           316 Beulah Hill,
           London SE19 3HF,
           United Kingdom
      It's exactly the address of the JetGroove offices you can find on their website.
      b- Their phone number in Moscow is +7 095 730 8046
      c- One of their sub domain name is: ru.corp.jetgroove.com , as "ru" for "Russia"
      d- Some other contacts of JetGroove: Alena Chakhnazarova, Ilya Basalaev (very English isn't it?)

      IV - Record Industry Associations around the word are preparing to sue them:

      Yes..., why ?  Just because, not only being happy about selling illegal content from small independent labels, they decided to sell music from major companies such as Madonna, Britney Spears and so-on... They are very angry.

      So be really careful with your music: if you feel your music is sold there illegally, first contact your label manager then your local Recording Association as soon as possible, or contact the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) http://www.ifpi.org/

      V - Their website has been built by the following Russian webdesign company http://www.suponix.com which is using the same tricks as JetGroove to fool people on where they come from. They are a Russian company from Odessa, Russia, and try to show they are American.

      VI - You can find more info here:
      http://www.ivibes.nu/index.php?article=3461

      VII - Be aware that there is a rumour of scam for credit card details.

      So to help save the independent record industry make people aware of this new kind of threat...
    • drK
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
        Thanks Shara, that was very interesting. I've been waiting for this
        sort of thing to arise and it does not surprise me that it is based in
        a country that clearly behaves as if the Internet was the US wild west
        of yesteryear. P2P is one thing, but at least it is not something that
        is harvesting people's credit cards! The effect of scams like this is
        that it will further drive legitimate users either to the "big boys" of
        downloaded music (like iTunes Store), or back to the underground of
        P2P. And, once again, it is the artist that ends up paying the freight!

        drK

        drK

        www.delora.com/music
        drk.iuma.com
      • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
          To be fair, Jetgroove never sold a single track without consent, though it did "appear" that this was the case.  Shara's info is a little bit dated, there's new info on this that came out more recently, I'll see if I can dig it up....

          rEalm

          drK <drk@...>

          11/01/2004 05:32 PM
          Please respond to mc505

                  To:        mc505@yahoogroups.com
                  cc:
                  Subject:        Re: [mc505] jetgroove warning

> [...]

          >  VI - You can find more info here:
          > http://www.ivibes.nu/index.php?article=3461
          >
          > http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?
          > s=23ff44fc86589e6426bbc1dba7889049&threadid=244233&perpage=20&pagenumbe
          > r=1
          >
          > VII - Be aware that there is a rumour of scam for credit card details.
          >
          > So to help save the independent record industry make people aware of
          > this new kind of threat...

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          > <image.tiff>
          >
          > Get unlimited calls to
          >
          > U.S./Canada
          > <image.tiff>
          >
          > <image.tiff>
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >                  •                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
          >
          >                  •                   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >
          >                  •                   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

          drK

          www.delora.com/music
          drk.iuma.com

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/XkLolB/TM

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s)or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive privilege or confidentiality. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of , or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.For Translation:http://www.baxter.com/email_disclaimer