my newbie q's...

  • Shara
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      what is/was 2-step?
      how are breakbeats made/constructed, what gives them that 'broken' feeling?

      shara

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • greg spicer
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        Two-step
        (n.) A kind of round dance in march or polka time; also, a piece of
        music for this dance.

        greg

        --- In mc505@yahoogroups.com, Shara <malikashara@y...> wrote:
        > what is/was 2-step?
        > how are breakbeats made/constructed, what gives them that 'broken'
        feeling?

        > shara

      • dan
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          Message
          Who knows. I think its when the snare hits only on the 2nd and 4th beats, but the kick goes all over the place. The emphasis is on the snare hits.

          Dan Torangeau

          how are breakbeats made/constructed, what gives them that 'broken' feeling?

          shara

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004

            I always thought the "breakbeat" term came not from "broken", but from old funk records where you have that bit in the song where the instrumentalists take a "break" and let the drummer do his things for a few bars.  DJ's started mixing these "breaks" back to back to form new songs.

            Rob

            http://groovewiki.hydraphonic.info   <----  Come play with my wiki

            -----Original Message from Shara <malikashara@...>-----

            what is/was 2-step?
            how are breakbeats made/constructed, what gives them that 'broken' feeling?

            shara

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Douglas Kraul
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
              This I believe is correct. "breaks" were/are a staple of jazz
              performance. There of course a few bars stretch sometimes to a full 32
              bar chorus of mad drumm soloing!

              drK

              On Apr 1, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Robert wrote:

              > I always thought the "breakbeat" term came not from "broken", but from
              > old funk records where you have that bit in the song where the
              > instrumentalists take a "break" and let the drummer do his things
              > for a few bars.  DJ's started mixing these "breaks" back to back to
              > form new songs.
              >

              > Rob
            • Miguel Miranda
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                To define a genre isn’t always a easy task so here go a few hints:

                In simple terms 2step appeared as a fusion of garage, speed garage and
                drum’n’bass. breakbeat refer to old vinyl records samples…well much can b
                said.

                Just as an example try this simple teste:

                Normally a simple break is like this (505 style)

                1 1 1 1 1 1 1
                1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
                BD X - - - - - x - - - X - - - - -
                SD - - - - X - - x - x - - X - - -
                HH x - X - x - X - x - - - x - X -
                OH - - x - - - - - x - X - - - - x

                A simple 2step beat

                1 1 1 1 1 1 1
                1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
                HH - - X - - - X - - - X - - X - X

                This is very simple... a little shuffle is nice, now all depend on the
                sounds u use and how u mingle them with other instruments...

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Tempo around 138bpm