Re: darkstar & sampler

  • Ravi Ivan Sharma
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 1998
      I can't imagine that the zoom would be better than the electribe. What about
      a used ASRX ( I have one but I am not selling) The Black ones are going
      cheap I think and they are full fledged samplers with great effects and
      expandable. One could be the same price as the electribe if you look hard
      enough.

      Ravi

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
        --- "John D. Hume" <jhume@...> wrote:
        > I was just browsing around novamusic and saw
        > that cool sounding
        > Darkstar again. Does anyone know how good it
        > sounds?

        Just in case you haven't heard its mp3 demos although
        it might not do its justice.
        http://www.redsound.com/redsound/darkstar/demos.htm

        norsez

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Jose Saez
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
          > I was just browsing around novamusic and saw that cool sounding
          > Darkstar again. Does anyone know how good it sounds?
          > Also, if I'm looking to get a low-prices sampler pretty soon, do
          > you think I ought to go Zoom ST224 or wait to see how much the new
          > Electribe Sampler's gonna be? I read about it and didn't see anything
          > that sounded all that special, but I know someone commented that
          > they'd probably upgrade from the zoom to the Korg once it came out, so
          > there must be something special in those specs I missed.
          > What's so good about the ES1?

          I have a ST-224.... wait for the electribe. The ST-224 is cheap and good but
          a little quirky to use....

          Jos� "BL73353" S�ez
          Keep Power ON !
          ICQ 41781107
          www.mp3.com/orbiter

          "like a dub sub sonic beat box booming bass under my bed" (Radiophonic - Pet
          Shop Boys)
        • Georg Conrads
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
              Ravi,

              Is the ASRX's sequencer as bad as it is made out to be. In particular, if
              the sampler on the ASRX "broke" would it pretty much be useless as a
              sequencer-only device?

              There are some good bargains on these right now!

              drk

              > I can't imagine that the zoom would be better than the electribe. What
              about
              > a used ASRX ( I have one but I am not selling) The Black ones are going
              > cheap I think and they are full fledged samplers with great effects and
              > expandable. One could be the same price as the electribe if you look hard
              > enough.
              >
              > Ravi

              Here</a>

              > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
              > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
              > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
              > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

            • Ravi Sharma
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2000
                I think maybe you are right. The consensus I get from the ASRx list is that
                the cpu in the unit is too weak to hand effects and samples/synth and
                sequencing simultaneous without stuttering or losing time.

                I have never relied on the ASRx for sequencing so I don't first hand
                experience but I trust what I have heard for about two years now.

                If the sampler broke, the sequence might do fine by itself OR NOT. I don't
                know.

                Definately get it for the sampler and resampler and effects though. I think
                it is GREAT. And you can use the sequencer for short ditties to resample
                into cooler samples with no problems. It also is a great module to add to
                your existing sequencing kit. 16 channels, etc. Yes I think blow out prices
                on the black are worth it. It is a solid sampler! and great efx. Limited
                sequencer!?

                Nice touch sensitive pads but better arranged the Akai MPC series. You can
                Play it.

                Look for one with the SCSI addon, it is a must have to hook up a jaz or
                computer or both . The Urban Dance project rom is great. I also have the
                extra output addon which is nice for recording.