Re: Getting paid

  • disuye
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
      > hi i doubt youve heard from me before but i work with greg Spicer
      > and i think £300 is about $500 man that guy must be doin alright.

      Yes & no! If you figure that you'll look to get approx <$1000 USD
      back on one typical 1500 run of vinyl; and you could release about 6
      to 8 records per year (on your own label) then that's a megre $8000
      per year. You'd get more at 7-11 AND have better hours.

      Say you figure in 6 remixes per year, 2 compilation inclusions and 3
      tracks on other labels (pretty good going) then your annual income
      will be about $20000. Still pretty shit. Although in the following
      year (if you can still cut it) your remix/track license fee can
      triple/double plus you may get more work; making an annual earning in
      the region of ~$40000 *a possibilty*...

      Add to this live performances, DJing and rare commercial licenses
      (Ils "Next Level" returned 50,000 GBpounds for a Orange Telephone TV
      advert - the label Marine Parade takes half) things start to look
      brighter.

      However when you average this out with the two, three, ten years of
      unpaid struggle [Hybrid = 7 years] it takes to get there... you'd be
      better off making shoes for Nike in a Korean sweatshop. My only
      advice is: don't do it for the money.

      Dan
    • matsumurat2001
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
        That's a pretty silly.
        My 19 years old brother get paid $2500 per month.
        He works as a registered surveyor.
        Easier to get license of a surveyor rather than find a label deal.

        I am outta work for almost 3 month now...
        Doing pretty silly stuffs...
        Music industry must be a nest of silly people.

        TM
      • Bob Dunham
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
          Album Artwork: $ 5,000 _ What a waste - They wasted mad cash on useless
          crap, they deserve to loose money.........artwerk for 5000 is just one small
          example......

          >From: "Ras" <leras@...>
          >To: <mc505@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [mc505] Interesting link
          >Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:19:56 -0000
          >
          >From a friend in a band:
          >

          >For any of you who have ever dreamed of being famous in a band, or
          >have friends that have..... an explanation of the way money works in
          >showbiz...
          >
          >http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
          >

          >This is his band - rock stuff with guitars etc. Listen to the track 'Crawl'
          >(about 3 minutes long) it's only in Real Audio - but it is an amazing
          >track - If you hear it I'm sure you'll listen to the other two tracks
          >
          >http://www.thisisslice.com
          >

          >Ras

        • disuye
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
            > Album Artwork: $ 5,000 _ What a waste - They wasted mad cash on

            Yeah - for sure; that artical paints a really distorted view of how
            things work. If it was that bad; no-one would do it!

            Having said that though; all that kind of stuff does happen if the
            aritst isn't clued up to look out for it. Also I think the account
            sheet at the end is meant to be a "so-bad-there-is-nothing-worse"
            example :)

            Dan
          • klown_mr
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
              > Yeah - for sure; that artical paints a really distorted view of how
              > things work. If it was that bad; no-one would do it!

              Whatever Dan, you're just saying that to try to trick me. How dare
              you try to knock me back into that 'trench of shit'! I'm onto to you
              though now, so don't be surprised if there's a funny taste in yo
              mouth...

              =)

              klown
            • Phil
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
                Hi all,

                Anybody got a recommendation (anywhere around the wold) for cheap, reliable,
                quality record pressings (say around 500 copies)?

                Cheers,

                Phil
              • disuye
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
                  > Anybody got a recommendation (anywhere around the wold) for cheap,
                  > reliable, quality record pressings (say around 500 copies)?
                  > Phil

                  For pure quality; check out Heathmans or EuroDisk in the UK. Although
                  if you're in Oz, then perhaps one of the american jobbies would be
                  closer/cheaper. Just make sure they have done pressings for dance
                  labels before and/or try to get hold of a previous cut.

                  I would bear in mind however that the price for 500 copies is not
                  much different than pressing 1000? Always get a test pressing
                  (normally 15 GBP each plus the plates at ~100 quid) unless you are
                  able to sit in on the cut. The last thing you want is 1000 novelty
                  placemats :)

                  Dan
                • michael bowman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
                    Check discmakers.com. Right now I think they are
                    selling 500 for around $790.00.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com/