Re: [mc505] OT: 'Phamatik' free plugin for using Rex files

  • drK
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      >the next version of logic, 5.0, due later in Jan. is going to fully
      >support the usage of rex files also.
      >
      >ed

      As will the MOTU 3.1 release of DP due in January.

      --
      drk

      www.delora.com/music
      www.mp3.com/zdrk
      drk.iuma.com
    • drK
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hopefully 2002 will be an improvement on 2001. Can't remember a more
        trying year on almost all levels.

        Hope everyone who celebrates the past holiday season had a good one
        and I am looking forward to my fourth year with all of you.

        Sincerely,

        --
        drk

        www.delora.com/music
        www.mp3.com/zdrk
        drk.iuma.com
      • Ras
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
          Happy New Year All. Hope you had good xmas's. Much respect to all the
          learned wisdom and encouragement I've been lucky enough to receive from the
          Groovesource over the last couple of years. There are almost too many people
          to mention by name that constantly contribute positively on so many levels -
          but thank you all.

          Looking forwards to continuing to learn from you all in 2002. Also looking
          forwards to hearing more music from all of you soon.

          Reviews for the de505 project as soon as I've downloaded them all.

          Ras

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
            Happy New Year everybody.
            May you all get whatever gear you wish for
            and make great music too of course ;)

            norsez
          • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002

              BTW, you can only use REX1 files, IE mono.

              rEalm

              "jeroenbaar" <jeroenbaar@...>

              12/30/01 09:22 AM
              Please respond to mc505

                      To:        mc505@yahoogroups.com
                      cc:
                      Subject:        [mc505] OT: 'Phamatik' free plugin for using Rex files

              Hello group,

              Here is a link for a free VST plugin for PC, for using Recycle Rex
              files in for example, Logic audio. Could be useful.

              http://www.bitshiftaudio.com/

              I have found the URL through this article in Sound-on-Sound

              http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?
              a=tpc&s=215094572&f=594090574&m=6843099073

              bye,

              Jeroen

              Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
              Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
              Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/XkLolB/TM

            • Ras
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                I have listened to all the tracks now. Some excellent and very good work.
                Actually enjoyable to listen to them all one after another.

                in no particular order:

                SOlare: Nice groove! I though you could have built up the plucked sound a
                bit more than you did in the build that drops in at 4.30 which could have
                added a little to the intensity of the build. Could have been a little more
                varied - but a nice bouncy laid back track.

                Loser to the Edit: Very nice opening sounds and nice frenetic rythyms. IF
                you tidied it up a little and finished it it would be superb 1.05 was not
                long enough....

                Hope (version 2): Nice stuttering breaks at the beginning and that is a
                SMOOOOTH drop into the main rythym!! Really nice use of vocal samples. Lots
                of different layers but not not too cluttered. This would sound superb on a
                large system. And nice work with the guitar at around 5.00 just wish you'd
                added an extra minute and really let the track drop again! Must be doing
                something right if people want it longer!!

                Itchy Bush: (I think this is the right track - no artist details in the
                mp3.... but lots of Bush samples) OVerall I though this track had some good
                ideas and some really nice bits, but the overall feel was a bit too loose
                for me. Had it been a bit tighter sounding I think it would have been
                superb.

                Overpass: Interesting way to bring the beat in. Nice laid back feel to the
                track. Pad sounds at 1.55 could be a bit warmer but improve when they start
                when they stutter a bit - but the drum beat at this part is a little
                confused and more so at 2.45 though they finish quite well at 3.12.
                Interesting use fo the HAL sample in the second half of this track. Possibly
                the most expermental track. Nicely crafted but needs tightening up in the
                middle section.

                Dream Sequence: Nice gentle intro which does nothing to prepare the listener
                for that fantastic beat that drops in. THis works fantastically well! Thats
                the sweetest BD introduction I have heard for a while. But WHY HWY YHW WYH
                HYW YWH is it only 2.00 long....

                Slider: Nice groove that is pushing the beat along. I love the use of that
                plucked sound but think you could have used it more. I t was almost sreaming
                out for everything else to drop out and have a little fill of that plucked
                sound to bring the beat back in or something like that. Theres a nice break
                at about 3.10 which uses a vocal sample but was a little too subtle - I
                think you could have dropped out all the drums and used the vocals and
                plucked sound a litle more which would have made the change in intensity a
                little more pronounced and broken up the track a little more.

                Closer to the Exit: Very nice drum programming and nice use of those funky
                sounds. Really nice build from 3.30 to 3.56 - but it didn't drop back in
                quite as well as it could have... Overall I think this needed a little bit
                more bite - but I'm not sure if I can explain this properly. I reckon if you
                raise the level of the funky sounds in the mix it would help - I also know
                you said you had trouble finding a good BD sound - could be worth going back
                to replace the one you have or just raise it;s level a bit.... Good overall
                though - I'm just being picky ;)

                DayDay: Superb use of the guitar sample reminded me of the Doors a little
                bit!! Nice laid back feel. Everything sits well in the mix. Possibly the
                quiter middle section is a little too long - but then when everything comes
                back in at 3.52 it makes the wait worthwhile. Creates a fantastic
                atmosphere. Laid back euphoric feel and the fact that it is the tracks which
                is least electronic sounding probably make this my favourite of them all.
                Good work.

                Perfectly: Very clever use of the samples to create the different phrases -
                but seemed as though you were cycling thorugh the FX at the beginning....
                Nice use of most sounds too. Nice change at 2.30. Was a couple of minutes
                too long really. And possibly the harshest bit of feedback I've ever given:
                It sounds far too much as if you are trying to force yourself to create a
                particular style instead of just creating something that comes more
                naturally. However - given that you only used the Korg sampler - it is a
                good bit of work.

                I think it would be good if people who haven't done one of these tracks
                should do so now!!

                Ras
              • Steven Fernandes
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                  Lol RAS thanks for the kinds words on my song...it seems to be a big hit for
                  anyone who hears it =) the reason it's only 2 min long is I have like 4
                  hours to work on it and missed the dead line...but I will be developing this
                  into a monster of a track hopefully a couple more then recording it to vinyl
                  for play at clubs ;)

                  -Lucid
                • Stefan Henry-Biskup
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                    Hello all,
                    I am a newbie to this group but have had my 505 for about 2 years.  I love it.  Mostly I use it to make patterns and make audio loops from that.

                    Anyway I have recently tried using the song mode and I ran into a problem.  How would I change the tempo of a song.  I am working on something that goes 1.5x time at the end and can't figure out how to do it.  I read about how to insert tempo changes in a pattern but it seemed manual and based around real-time editing.  I just want it to change instantaneously.  and stay that way as I go to other patterns in the song.

                    Any help would be great, thanks.
                    Stefan

                    .     .    .   .  . .. .  .   .    .     .
                    www.light-housestudios.com

                  • mojo tek
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                      (itchy bush)
                      >Had it been a bit tighter sounding I think it would have ...

                      cheers ras, had it been a bit cooler (lub dis aussiee summa), i coulda cared
                      about being tight :)...think i am sthtill gunna play with it, with any
                      further workings with the samples is it cool to put it up on the de505 site?
                      perhaps under another album...

                      martin

                    • Ras
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                        I reckon just stick it up there - but mr Klown would be the one with the
                        final say. This whole thing was (in my eyes) more an exercise to get people
                        working and thinking differently. I think it;s amazing how diverse the
                        tracks were - and it was interesting to hear how different people used the
                        same sounds in different ways. The gamalan bells and the plucked sound I
                        heard a few times in different tracks!

                        Ras

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002

                          You would need to insert a tempo change into a pattern, and then place that new pattern where you want the tempo change to occur in your song.  Best bet would be to find out which pattern in the song corresponds to where you'd want your tempo change to be, save it again with a new name, insert the tempo change, and then place it back in the song, overwriting the pattern that was previously in that location.  Hope that helps, not many people here use Song Mode, so I'm not sure if anyone else has any ideas?

                          rEalm

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002
                            This is a track I originally posted in October. I've followed the feedback I was given and have posted the result. If you liked it before you should love this.

                            Tech Breaks.

                            Now features:
                            - Layered drums with multiple treatments (phat)
                            - Additional synth programming sh-02 (phat)
                            - NO COWBELL!!
                            - A variation on the bullet bassline to help break up the track!

                            Many thanks - to all the feedback from before. All good constructive criticism.

                            If anyone still has the original mp3 of this saved - I'd love to hear what they think the main improvements are between the tracks.

                            Ras

                          • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002

                              What happened to the rest of your tunes up there?  Anyway...

                              Nice lead synth in the beginning, Reaktor?  The drums sound better but still kinda quiet compared to that loud lead line in the intro, I think the intro is just too loud compared to the rest of the song.  The breaks are good too, did you redo some of the actual programming on those?

                              I like the floating sound effects in the background, keep it a lot more interesting.  The new bassline is a lot better, not nearly as repetitive as the last time.  Between 3:00 and 3:43 things start to get a little muddy, but don't take me too seriously on it, I can't get the best picture here at work.  I like the section at 4:25, nice circular movements in the song.  The end fades out nicely too, don't know why that stands out (in a good way) to me.

                              Great job mate, much much better than the last go.  Gotta hear that one at home to get a better feel for the sonics of it...

                              rEalm

                              Tech Breaks.
                              REFLEX @ http://bionic.iuma.com/

                            • binaryzero1 <binaryzero1@hotmail.com>