Re: PC Backup via MIDI?

  • Ravi Ivan Sharma
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 1999
      You can save pattern to the harddrive via midi and recording the sysex dump into a computer sequencer. You must save patch data separately.

      In order to backup smartmedia to a harddrive you need a smartmedia interface (FUJI?)which is sold as a thing which accepts the smartmedia card and which you place in your floppy drive. The computer sees the smartmedia as a drive. You can then copy to your harddrive and vice versa.

      The last way I know is with the Hewlett Packard SP1000 printer which has a smartmedia port on it for printing pictures from digital cameras. The bonus is that again the smartmedia is seen by the computer as a drive and you can move files back and forth from it.

      Ravi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2000
        Well, Ravi, you managed to get me all exited about the safe + easy backups
        that i could be doing. See, my mom just got an HP P1000 printer and I
        thought wow now i can copy my files since i only own one card. Problem - it
        doesn't recognize my card. All though it does not say anything about voltage
        in the printer manual, my guess (since the notch was on the other side of
        the card in the picture) is that it only understands/accepts 3.5v cards. Any
        chance you could prove me wrong? i would be very happy if you did.
        chris

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2000
          Well lets see, it worked for my jp8080 card and . . . .

          yes it works fine for the 505 too, attached is a screenshot of my explorer with the card shown

          Ravi
          Well, Ravi, you managed to get me all exited about the safe + easy backups that i could be doing. See, my mom just got an HP P1000 printer and I thought wow now i can copy my files since i only own one card. Problem - it doesn't recognize my card. All though it does not say anything about voltage in the printer manual, my guess (since the notch was on the other side of the card in the picture) is that it only understands/accepts 3.5v cards. Any chance you could prove me wrong? i would be very happy if you did.
          chris

          [This message contained attachments]
        • Ravi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2000
            SHit, sorry for the attachment! I though I was replying to Chris directly! Sorry.

            Ravi