Re: Welding cylinder heads

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 1, 2005
      > > The guys who do my ali HT recently had the thermostat on their
      > > furnace go out of calibration by 50 deg and they ended up with a
      > > 2 ft deep pool of molten ali in the bottom. ( Instead of some very
      > > expensive 1 off castings )
      >
      > if the difference between HT and melting was less
      > than 50 degrees, how it doesn't deform due to the
      > temperature (under own weight)?
      > they had tools to hold expensive 1off castings?

      Yes - big castings sag and distort - they ask you to what
      tolerance you want them straight and flat - they straighten
      them before they put it into the last process.

      DRYSDALE MOTORCYCLE CO.
      AUSTRALIA
      PH: +613 9562 4260
      FAX: +613 9546 8938
      NEW WEBSITE:
      750-V8 & 1000-V8 MOTORCYCLES,
      2X2X2, RACECAR & CARBERRY-ENFIELD
      V-TWIN SITE :
      http://www.drysdalev8.com
    • Derek Capito
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 8, 2005

        Ian,

        Thanks for the compliment on the machining!

        I’m aware that you cannot hard anodize 2024. I was looking for a cosmetic clear finish, which you can’t get in hard, regardless of the grade of aluminum. I got exactly the color/sheen/look I expected, and can find no fault with the result.

        Regards,

        Derek

        motolab

        www.moto-lab.com