Re: Air Horn from exhaust ?

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
      > I'd like to put a big truck Air-horn on my Suzuki DRZ-400 offroad
      > bike. But, I don't want to use an electric aircompressor.
      >
      > So, I was wondering if I could use the exhaust pressure to power the
      > horn, turning it off and on with a valve that opens and closes quickly
      > with a lever near the clutch or brake lever.

      You'll get a maxium of around 50 kPa ( 7 psi ) out of an exhaust,
      this won't be enough to get any sort of noise out of an air horn.

      DRYSDALE MOTORCYCLE CO.
      AUSTRALIA
      PH: +613 9562 4260
      FAX: +613 9546 8938
      NEW WEBSITE:
      750-V8 & 1000-V8 MOTORCYCLES,
      2X2X2, RACECAR & CARBERRY-ENFIELD
      V-TWIN SITE :
      http://www.drysdalev8.com
    • RohanB
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
        While exhaust pressure won't drive a set of air horns, exhaust whistles
        were once common on early vehicles - you still see them on ebay sometimes.
        (Similar to steam whistles on steam trains ). If well tuned can produce a
        somewhat loud and very piercing whistle - as long as your motor is not just
        idling...

        hth,
        Rohan.

        ----------

        -------

        I'd like to put a big truck Air-horn on my Suzuki DRZ-400 offroad
        bike. But, I don't want to use an electric aircompressor.

        So, I was wondering if I could use the exhaust pressure to power the
        horn, turning it off and on with a valve that opens and closes quickly
        with a lever near the clutch or brake lever.

        Any ideas ? Could this work ? Could it hurt my motor ?
      • David Kath
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
          Using a horn to umm .. 'surprising' your buds out on the trail sounds a
          very fun deal to me! In the past I spent many happy hours on my Huskies
          with my pals out on the desert trails. And there's only one rule out
          there, "There ain't no friggin rules"! "How fast can you go"?
          How about this .. instead of going to a lot of trouble and having a
          biggo kluge horn on your bike, merely buy a "boat horn", that uses a
          little canister of compressed gas. You know the irrating type blaster
          fans use at ball games. Keep it hidden away until you do a 'sneak
          attack' from the rear on your friends... blast them with the horn and
          there ya go, they're in the bushes and you have a open trail in front of
          you. Gas it up. heh.
          dave - NV

        • PeterFouch�
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
            --- Ian <iwd@...> wrote:

            > > I'd like to put a big truck Air-horn on my Suzuki
            > DRZ-400 offroad
            > > bike. But, I don't want to use an electric
            > aircompressor.
            > >
            > > So, I was wondering if I could use the exhaust
            > pressure to power the
            > > horn, turning it off and on with a valve that
            > opens and closes quickly
            > > with a lever near the clutch or brake lever.
            >
            > You'll get a maxium of around 50 kPa ( 7 psi ) out
            > of an exhaust,
            > this won't be enough to get any sort of noise out of
            > an air horn.
            >

            > Cheers IAN
            >

            > --
            > DRYSDALE MOTORCYCLE CO.
            > AUSTRALIA
            > PH: +613 9562 4260
            > FAX: +613 9546 8938
            > NEW WEBSITE:
            > 750-V8 & 1000-V8 MOTORCYCLES,
            > 2X2X2, RACECAR & CARBERRY-ENFIELD
            > V-TWIN SITE :
            > http://www.drysdalev8.com

            Hi Ian

            Not wanting to dispute you, but isn't an engine
            basically a compressor? Why can't higher pressures be
            developed - or is 50kPa the max before performance is
            effected or the engine stalls?

            Peter

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • geoo lutwigg
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
              Brad Lackey raced a few nationals with one of those
              taped to his crossbar.
              He said it was for lappers

              --- David Kath <BSAGS@...> wrote:

              merely buy a "boat
              > horn", that uses a
              > little canister of compressed gas. You know the
              > irrating type blaster
              > fans use at ball games.

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • D.M.Co.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
                >> You'll get a maxium of around 50 kPa ( 7 psi ) out
                >> of an exhaust,
                >
                >Not wanting to dispute you, but isn't an engine
                >basically a compressor? Why can't higher pressures be
                >developed - or is 50kPa the max before performance is
                >effected or the engine stalls?

                You can get higher pressures if you block the exhaust off
                completely - but with a hole in one end ( Muffler ), it will
                only raise about 50 kPa.

              • Brian Kelleher
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Too funny !