chroming

  • Jim Schneider
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 12:30 PM
      Not exactly on topic, but I need to get a couple of headlight housings
      re-chromed in the reflectors. Does anyone know of a small shop that will do
      a pair of them without charging me a ridiculous amount?
      Thanks,
      Swiss
    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 3:44 PM
        Try a silver-platers. The amount used is miniscule, so might not be
        expensive. I saw it done at tech - looked pretty simple, less involved
        than chrome-plating. Silver used to be the norm for headlight reflectors.

        Jordan

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 7:07 PM
          Won't silver tarnish and require polishing?
          Swiss

          Try a silver-platers. The amount used is miniscule, so might not be
          expensive. I saw it done at tech - looked pretty simple, less involved
          than chrome-plating. Silver used to be the norm for headlight reflectors.

          Jordan

          > From: "Jim Schneider" <swissscf@...>
          > I need to get a couple of headlight housings
          > re-chromed in the reflectors.
        • RohanB
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3 12:41 AM
            Quite right Jordan, headlight reflectors have been silvered almost since
            time immemorial.

            The silver-plater probably has a trick or 2 up his sleeve to prevent it
            readily tarnishing like you would expect.

            hth,
            Rohan

            ----------
            From: Jim Schneider <swissscf@...>
            To: mc-engine@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:07 PM

            Won't silver tarnish and require polishing?
            Swiss

            Try a silver-platers. The amount used is miniscule, so might not be
            expensive. I saw it done at tech - looked pretty simple, less involved
            than chrome-plating. Silver used to be the norm for headlight reflectors.

            Jordan

            > From: "Jim Schneider" <swissscf@...>
            > I need to get a couple of headlight housings
            > re-chromed in the reflectors.
          • JOHN MEAD
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4 4:51 PM
              Look at the "services" section of Hemmings Motor News
              and you will find at least 2 ads for headlight
              reflector re-silvering. Send your reflector to one of
              these guys and get a proper job done.

              John Mead

              --- Jim Schneider <swissscf@...> wrote:

              > Won't silver tarnish and require polishing?
              > Swiss

            • Jim Schneider
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4 6:43 PM
                Thanks, that even gives me a location to find a re-silvering shop.
                Swiss
                Look at the "services" section of Hemmings Motor News
                and you will find at least 2 ads for headlight
                reflector re-silvering. Send your reflector to one of
                these guys and get a proper job done.

                John Mead

                --- Jim Schneider <swissscf@...> wrote:

                > Won't silver tarnish and require polishing?
                > Swiss

                Yahoo! Groups Links