Re: Aprilia direct injection

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2001
      In article <3AEDF108.EBBE6647@...>, ian <iwd@...> writes
      >They have 2 versions - the original uses a burst of
      >compressed air to carry the fuel directly into the combustion
      >chamber. A second version developed for scooters
      >deosn't need an external compressor but I don't know
      >any more about it.

      The Aprilia scooter uses a crank driven compressor. A Bump on one of the
      crankwheels pushes a roller plunger on a pump plumbed into the side of
      the crankcase.

      >Orbital are an R&D organisation and I would expect them
      >to defend their patents vigorously if you built your own
      >version.

      I was pondering using some of their / Aprilia's bits on a home brew
      LC/RGV/TZ engine. They would have already got their license fee by that
      time. Surely you can build whatever you like with commercially available
      and 2nd hand parts. The problem comes when you try and offer it for
      commercial sale.

      --
      -----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
      Julian Bond mailto:julian_bond@...
      > Supreme Quality <
    • ian
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2001
        > The Aprilia scooter uses a crank driven compressor. A Bump on one of
        > the
        > crankwheels pushes a roller plunger on a pump plumbed into the side of
        >
        > the crankcase.

        OK - there you go - maybe the wording of the scooter
        setup was that they didn't use a belt driven compressor
        like the car motors do.

        > I was pondering using some of their / Aprilia's bits on a home brew
        > LC/RGV/TZ engine. They would have already got their license fee by
        > that
        > time. Surely you can build whatever you like with commercially
        > available
        > and 2nd hand parts. The problem comes when you try and offer it for
        > commercial sale.

        That sort of thing is OK - if it is available as a spare part you
        can do what you like with it as long as you don't claim it as
        your own. I assumed from the last post that you were thinking
        of knocking up your own version.

        DRYSDALE MOTORCYCLE CO.
        AUSTRALIA
        Ph :+613 9562 4260