Shakes?

  • David Kath
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      Note that these engines don't shake themselves to bits on the dyno, its
      the
      chassis they were in - and the rider - that shakes.
      Cheers,
      Rohan.

      I believe if you talk with the gents riding/racing the olde Brit singles
      you will find that vibration is not an issue. Of course those "tuners",
      that make no effort to balance their engines may have problems..... We
      do not deal with the buzz so many out and about with different designs
      complain about... nice. A smooth running and dependable 40 year old
      design single, making 45-50hp 500 is a 'good thing' you know. Yup,
      kinda nice.
      dave - NV
      One of the Gold Star Guys
    • RohanB
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        Dave,
        Seems we are off the topic here.

        Old racing singles don't vibrate ??!! You ever been out to the classic races
        - nuts and bolts missing everywhere, welder doing all-day business welding up
        things. Old film from the Isle of Man TT races shows riders being lifted from
        their bikes, hand and feet and bum numb from vibration. (300+ miles for a
        race though). Swingarm frames are better though than earlier frames, the
        first wasn't called a "featherbed" for nothing ...

        Cheers,
        Rohan.

        ----------
        From: David Kath <BSAGS@...>
        To: MC-Engine mail <mc-engine@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Shakes?
        Date: Monday, 1 July 2002 17:06

        Note that these engines don't shake themselves to bits on the dyno, its
        the
        chassis they were in - and the rider - that shakes.
        Cheers,
        Rohan.

        I believe if you talk with the gents riding/racing the olde Brit singles
        you will find that vibration is not an issue. Of course those "tuners",
        that make no effort to balance their engines may have problems..... We
        do not deal with the buzz so many out and about with different designs
        complain about... nice. A smooth running and dependable 40 year old
        design single, making 45-50hp 500 is a 'good thing' you know. Yup,
        kinda nice.
        dave - NV
        One of the Gold Star Guys

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        [<http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/cl/classmates_com2/bll_lrec1.gif>]
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2174088.3620944.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705065098
        :HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      • Julian Bond
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
          In article <S37E2crniLOclUvKMba0000874b@...>, RohanB
          <rohanb@...> writes
          >Old racing singles don't vibrate ??!! You ever been out to the classic races
          >- nuts and bolts missing everywhere, welder doing all-day business welding up
          >things. Old film from the Isle of Man TT races shows riders being lifted from
          >their bikes, hand and feet and bum numb from vibration. (300+ miles for a
          >race though). Swingarm frames are better though than earlier frames, the
          >first wasn't called a "featherbed" for nothing ...

          The one that always astonished me was Dave Degens winning a 24 hour race
          at Montjuich Park somewhere around 1970 on a Triton. I've ridden a
          Triton a couple of times and I can't imagine doing 30 minutes, let alone
          24 hours.

          They were hard in those days...

          --
          Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond@...
          Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
            >The one that always astonished me was Dave Degens winning a 24 hour race
            >at Montjuich Park

            The donor for the name of the '80's Ducati?

            >somewhere around 1970 on a Triton. I've ridden a
            >Triton a couple of times and I can't imagine doing 30 minutes, let alone
            >24 hours.
            >
            >They were hard in those days...

            Well 'ard!

            --
            Alan Lapp
            ---------------

            "Heheheheh. Fire. Cool!"
            -- Beavis & Butthead
          • Michael Moore
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
              > >The one that always astonished me was Dave Degens winning a 24 hour
              > >race at Montjuich Park
              >

              > The donor for the name of the '80's Ducati?

              Donor of the mid 70s Bultaco street bike name before that
              (Montjuic).

              And Benjamin Grau, who I think rode the Barcelona-winning 860
              Ducati also won Barcelona on a 360 Bultaco in the early 1970s-
              overall.

              cheers,
              Michael
              Michael Moore
              Euro Spares, San Francisco CA
              Distributor of Lucas RITA and Powerbase products
              Sole North American distributor of "The Racing Motorcycle: a technical guide for constructors"
              Host of 8 m/c email lists (details on the web site)
              http://www.eurospares.com
              AFM/AHRMA #364