Drouin old school work around

  • hobot
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
      Early dual belt model with lots of work adapting to make it work, even
      though designed for a Norton twin.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9ER_9zzXc

    • Rick Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
        A friend had a drouin on his norton when I had my Laverda twin running.
        It went like stink when it worked well, which wasn't often.
        Always thought a Laverda might be a good victim for one. ;-)
        Cheers,
        Rick

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
          Tom Drouin had models for Sporters and  bigJapanese 750's
          so why not Laverda but as you note Drouin's weren't known
          for working well long drive belt, bearings & Lake injector sticking issues.,
          On my list to do is find a turbo that'd adapt to various cycles.
          Then issue may be how to dump the extra heat of sustained boost.

          hobot

          On 8/4/2013 7:01 PM, Rick Hammond wrote:

          A friend had a drouin on his norton when I had my Laverda twin running.
          It went like stink when it worked well, which wasn't often.
          Always thought a Laverda might be a good victim for one. ;-)
          Cheers,
          Rick

          On 04/08/2013 12:50 PM, hobot wrote:

          Early dual belt model with lots of work adapting to make it work, even
          though designed for a Norton twin.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9ER_9zzXc

        • ausrobg
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2013
            I reckon the 750 Laverda twin with its massive 5 bearing crank would like that.

            Maybe a small, cheap & reliable Aisin blower ?

            Cheers,

            Rob

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2013
              Well as power is force moved over time, if ya can't spin it to hi heavens
              then load that brute's crank torque on with boost!  Got breathing issues
              topping out, no worry mate's just blow through it~!    Got octane resverses
              to spare in a fast burn chamber,  then pump it on up and blast on out
              of there.   Blowers ain't compressors, compressors are about 1:1
              boost with rpm only while the centrifugal blowers are throttle opening
              speed dependent, that is, like the Drouin only rated in ads to sell
              a 10 PSI, but that's a blurry non linear number. I've old magazine
              artcle the editor only had guts to see 8 PSI on a Commando while
              Tom jumped on and snatched in to 12 PSI,   I was wondering
              if fitting it to my 20% bigger 920 would down rate the blow 20% too
              but Bruce McGreger's 850  has the same Drouin as Ms Peel and
              says he can spike boost to `PSI before it runs out of rpm or wheelies.
              If mine works as planned drag race would be done starting in 4th
              and just floating front most the way to 1/4 m.  Blower impeller users
              direct drive of course to no such thing as boost delay fan is already
              spun up just being bottled up with throttle restriction.  Yet reports
              say the boost hit is soft onset not switch like a compressor right
              off idle but then no more boost PSI thru rest of the rpm's.

              Sizing and how to drive it and cool &or lube it must be solved.
              If ceramic bearings ever had a special use they were meant for this is it.

              hobot