filled putties

  • Michael Moore
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
      I was told recently that the car guys have access to some ceramic or
      metal-filled putties that are good enough to be used instead of welding
      both in exhaust ports as well as the combustion chamber itself.

      Does anyone have any knowledge of these miracle compounds?

      cheers,
      Michael
      Michael Moore
      Euro Spares, San Francisco CA
      Distributor of Lucas RITA and Powerbase products
      Sole North American distributor of "The Racing Motorcycle: a technical guide for constructors"
      Host of 7 m/c email lists (details on the web site)
      http://www.eurospares.com
      AFM/AHRMA #364
    • Mike Kilty
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001

        > I was told recently that the car guys have access to some ceramic or
        > metal-filled putties that are good enough to be used instead
        > of welding
        > both in exhaust ports as well as the combustion chamber itself.
        >
        > Does anyone have any knowledge of these miracle compounds?

        There was that glue I found a while back for fixing iron manifolds - claims
        1300 deg C temp range: Thermo Weld, by Car Go Chemical Co. in Texas.

        I found it in my local car accessory shop, and I sent some to a friend to
        fix the manifold on his van. Don't know if he tried it or how good it was,
        but I will ask him. You would have to check its suitability for use on ally.
        You could track the company down and ask them if they have other compounds
        in the range that might be better.

        Mike Kilty
      • Mike Kilty
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
          > You could track the company down and ask them if they have
          > other compounds
          > in the range that might be better.

          I have found them in the yellow pages of Alta Vista :

          Cargo Chemical Co
          1304 Farm Road 3083
          Conroe, Texas 77301

          phone 936-539-1555

          hope it is useful

          Mike
        • davisonx@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
            Check an industrial supply store in your area (J&L and MSC in
            southeast US) for either LPS or Devcon metal repair epoxies. They
            make epoxies for steel, Al, Ti, stainless, bronze, etc. I don't know
            if they are suitable for port work, but a quick call to either
            company should tell you.

            I've used the ubiquitous JB Weld on a quick and dirty engine job in
            the past, but the company does not approve of its use in ports and
            the engine never ran hard enough or long enough for me to find out if
            it was a mistake.

            Brian
          • Mike Kilty
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
              > Check an industrial supply store in your area (J&L and MSC in
              > southeast US) for either LPS or Devcon metal repair epoxies. They
              > make epoxies for steel, Al, Ti, stainless, bronze, etc. I don't know
              > if they are suitable for port work, but a quick call to either
              > company should tell you.

              Most of the Devcon putties ('F' aluminium and 'HP' titanium) are rated to
              150 or 180 C variously

              > I've used the ubiquitous JB Weld on a quick and dirty engine job in
              > the past, but the company does not approve of its use in ports and
              > the engine never ran hard enough or long enough for me to find out if
              > it was a mistake.

              JB Weld is rated to about 350 C

              Mike Kilty
            • Michael Moore
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
                > Most of the Devcon putties ('F' aluminium and 'HP' titanium) are rated to
                > 150 or 180 C variously
                > JB Weld is rated to about 350 C

                I'd think exhaust port use would need to withstand 8-900F minimum, or
                thereabouts, wouldn't it?

                cheers,
                Michael
              • Alan Lapp
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
                  > > Most of the Devcon putties ('F' aluminium and 'HP' titanium) are rated to
                  >> 150 or 180 C variously
                  >> JB Weld is rated to about 350 C
                  >
                  >I'd think exhaust port use would need to withstand 8-900F minimum, or
                  >thereabouts, wouldn't it?

                  Or higher: I've seen headers glow red, which would put it over 1200F.

                  Also, a friend tried to repair the end-cap on an exhaust system with
                  JB Weld... it failed due to heat. The material simply crumbled when
                  we got around to fixing it properly.
                  --

                  Alan Lapp
                  ---------------
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
                    > > > Most of the Devcon putties ('F' aluminium and 'HP'
                    > titanium) are rated to
                    > >> 150 or 180 C variously
                    > >> JB Weld is rated to about 350 C
                    > >
                    > >I'd think exhaust port use would need to withstand 8-900F minimum, or
                    > >thereabouts, wouldn't it?
                    >
                    > Or higher: I've seen headers glow red, which would put it over 1200F.

                    err .. that'd be about 650 C right?

                    > Also, a friend tried to repair the end-cap on an exhaust system with
                    > JB Weld... it failed due to heat. The material simply crumbled when
                    > we got around to fixing it properly.

                    My money is on the manifold glue!

                    Mike Kilty
                  • David Kath
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Hello Michael .... Sometime ago I had a casual interest in the port filler material and did a bit
                      of sleuthing. I found a supplier that specializes in this stuff for the hot rod car people and
                      gave them a call. The nice lady gave me a lot of info and mentioned they had also developed a
                      compound suitable for exhaust ports. I took notes too. Sounds OK, but here's the rub ... I seem to
                      have lost the the contact info, and I need the filler stuff now for some intake port work. aarrgh

                      The nice GS head I found at the Carson City swap last summer has had the intake port "ported".
                      Sorry to say some 20 year old along the way must have gotten a new Sears drill and rotary file for
                      Christmas and just knew, "bigger must be better". Oughta be a law!

                      Anyhow... as soon as I get my act together I'll pass on any info I run across.

                      However for exhaust port work I sure would think about machining the head for a steel insert or
                      stubbing the head pipe.

                      Had I mentioned I visited your pal Craig's shop in Chico? I'm impressed with both him and his work
                      and I will be returning with pieces in hand.
                      dave - NV

                      Michael Moore wrote:

                      > I was told recently that the car guys have access to some ceramic or
                      > metal-filled putties that are good enough to be used instead of welding
                      > both in exhaust ports as well as the combustion chamber itself.
                      >
                      > Does anyone have any knowledge of these miracle compounds?
                    • Patrick Burns
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2001
                        Alan Lapp wrote:
                        > Michael Moore wrote:
                        > >I'd think exhaust port use would need to withstand 8-900F minimum, or
                        > >thereabouts, wouldn't it?
                        > Or higher: I've seen headers glow red, which would put it over 1200F.

                        I wouldn't trust anything for use in exhaust ports unless it were stable through
                        at least 1800 deg F. According to the K type thermocouples I've been using, it's
                        not at all uncommon to see exhaust gas temps up near 1700 deg F on engines which
                        are running a bit lean, even at part throttle.

                        And even if the material is supposed to be stable well past any foreseen
                        temperatures, it still may not work. I tried Autostic epoxy
                        http://www.flexbar.com/product_adhe_autostic.htm with one project, and it fell
                        apart within minutes.
                      • Alan Lapp
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2001
                          >I tried Autostic epoxy
                          >http://www.flexbar.com/product_adhe_autostic.htm with one project, and it fell
                          >apart within minutes.

                          Whoohoo! Thanks for the link for a product that doesn't work!

                          Just teasing... obviously I need another cuppa coffee.
                          --

                          Alan Lapp
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 4, 2001
                            Alan Lapp wrote:

                            > >I tried Autostic epoxy
                            > >http://www.flexbar.com/product_adhe_autostic.htm with one project, and it fell
                            > >apart within minutes.
                            >
                            > Whoohoo! Thanks for the link for a product that doesn't work!

                            Consider it a wanted poster for Ad Copy to Distrust.

                            ;)