Re: Pistons

  • bob_foist
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 1, 2012
      Right out of High School I worked in a local foundry that made engine blocks for Cummins Diesels....like a lot of factories in US in the 60's and early 70's,it had not changed much since turn of the century.Huge cupolas,big enough to drop a car into fired by coke and a system of man operated trolleys that carried molten steel to black sand molds.Hot,dirty and dangerous...but it motivated me to go back to school so it was a good experience even if I didn't realize it at the time :-)

      --- In mc-engine@yahoogroups.com, Ian <iwd@...> wrote:

      > ><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8VTExdaIF4&feature=em-subs_digest-newavtr-vrecs>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8VTExdaIF4&feature=em-subs_digest-newavtr-vrecs
      >

      > As much as 6,000 times per minute ! Who'd have thought it.
      >
      > The commentary isn't very technical, but the images are very
      > interesting aren't they. ( I love big forges & presses )
      >

      > Cheers IAN
      >

      > See www.drysdalev8.com for :
      > - Drysdale 750-V8 Sports & 1000-V8 Cruiser
      > - DRYVTECH 2x2x2 Experimental
      > - Carberry Enfield 1000cc V-Twin
      > - Drysdale Hillclimb Open Wheeler

    • Tiny
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 14, 2013
        --- In mc-engine@yahoogroups.com, "bob_foist" <bikebreakerbob@...> wrote:

        > I bought a set of pistons in that time frame that had teflon coated skirts...but as I remember the first time I tore engine down,teflon was wore away.

        That what the skits coating is designed to do (reduce friction as it wears)

        Tiny