dribs'n'drabs

  • Byron
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 1, 2011
      It's true, alas. I do the editing of English-language technical papers each year for the Indonesian Petroleum Association's annual convention, and in the past couple of years the trend has been toward squeezing blood from the stone, so to speak.

      Little bits of hydrocarbons here and there, or way down deep in the ocean trenches... meaning, quite problematical to bring to the surface.

      Looks like the party's over.

      bb

      --- In mc-engine@yahoogroups.com, Danny Whitfield <eco.usa@...> wrote:

      > > Dan as you know a hand built special and a mass produced vehicle for sale to the masses are completely different things.  Let's see the electric vehicle industry scale up to production of millions of vehicles per year without having the gov't give each manufacturer hundreds of millions in subsidies and each buyer thousands in 'rebates'.  The tech just isn't there to do it at a price people can afford.

      > > When can I buy it?  How much?  I think electric vehicles have their place, mostly fleet use with monitoring, but they are far from ready to replace the ICE as a main power source for transportation even in clean sheet designs.  I get a lot of auto trade rags and the tech guys involved in manufacturing already know what they will be manufacturing in 5 years and it is 10% better than what they have now.  I don't see any of the 10-24x density increases talked about by industry guys because they know it is all in the lab and maybe 0.1% of lab stuff can actually be made cost efficient to manufacture.  The old adage 'If it was that easy people would already be doing it' fits well here.  The main reason for the sudden spurt of electric vehicle development is not technology but gov't money.  Once that dries up the electric vehicle industry falls back to niche market.

      > > The electric motor and drive industry is well developed.  Batteries too, look at all the laptop computers and cell phones.  Electric cars are merely tapping into decades of development by parallel industries so the huge efficiency increases and price decreases usual in new technology development will not occur, they've already happened in the originating industries.  They will be some efficiency increases as the specific use patterns can get optimized but electric motors and drives are already well developed and mass production scaled.
      > >
      > > Sorry to be so dismissive of this but your original statement of '1000 mile range (actually 2000 if you turn off accessories) 200 hp penny per mile fuel cost can be had within 5 years.' doesn't have any basis in manufacturing reality.  Maybe for prototypes, but then again a F1 car and MotoGP motorcycle are ultra high performance prototypes but nobody is trying to advocate them as production solutions.
      > >
      > > Again, go for it on trying to design a better vehicle.  That's what lists like this are all about.  But let it be judged on its technology and performance and not try to make it work with huge subsidies that make it only partly economically viable.
      >

      > I agree with all you state here Chris, However the X-PRIZE was not a
      > government sponsored deal. It was done by the Ansari family,
      > Progressive insurance and other business interests. In fact, the
      > vehicle was developed entirely in Switzerland not the USA and is a
      > limited production vehicle available to anyone for $110K last time I
      > checked.

> [...]
    • Ken Augustine
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 5, 2011
        http://2strokebiker.blogspot.com/2010/01/1968-suzuki-50cc-grand-prix-roadracer.html

        KA

        I believe that GP bikes are limited to 6 speeds these days, the 50cc
        Honda GP twin of the 60's had 10 speeds and wasn't there a Suzuki
        GP racer with 14 speeds ?