UK LSR double panther

  • Rick Hammond
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
      Not earth-'braking', maybe earth shattering.. but a fun idea.
      At first I thought it might be a paralel twin. ;-)

      http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70586&showall=1

      Looked like a lot of empty space at first then they fill it in with stuff..
      Should be fun.
      Cheers,
      Rick
    • John Mead
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
        Looks like a great effort. However, they should be running a rear suspension.

        The salt may look smooth but it is actually very rough. I have been there several times and have not seen any rigid frame bikes unless they were running in one of the stock vintage classes.

        John Mead

        > At first I thought it might be a paralel twin. ;-)
        >
        > http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70586&showall=1
        >
        > Looked like a lot of empty space at first then they fill it
        > in with stuff..
        > Should be fun.
        > Cheers,
        > Rick

        >     mc-engine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Rick Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
          Hi John,
          Interesting; brings up a question;
          I have a 250 Aermacchi in a flat track frame; hard-tail, and I had
          thought of that as part of a someday 'assault on the salt'..
          I can see the bennefit of rear suspension, but would it be as important
          in the case of a low-hp lightweight, also, in this case, sprung seat..?

          I know the high hp bikes slip the rear quite a bit.. do you think the
          250 might get away easier?
          Cheers,
          Rick

          John Mead wrote:

          > Looks like a great effort. However, they should be running a rear
          > suspension.
          >
          > The salt may look smooth but it is actually very rough. I have been
          > there several times and have not seen any rigid frame bikes unless
          > they were running in one of the stock vintage classes.
          >
          > John Mead
          >
          > --- On Wed, 9/1/10, Rick Hammond <r.hammond@...
          > <mailto:r.hammond%40sympatico.ca>> wrote:
          >
          > > From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@...
          > <mailto:r.hammond%40sympatico.ca>>
          > > Subject: UK LSR double panther
          > <mailto:mc-chassis-design%40micapeak.com>>, mc-engine@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:mc-engine%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 10:41 AM
          > > Not earth-'braking', maybe earth
          > > shattering.. but a fun idea.
          > > At first I thought it might be a paralel twin. ;-)
          > >
          > > http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70586&showall=1
          > <http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70586&showall=1>
          > >
          > > Looked like a lot of empty space at first then they fill it
          > > in with stuff..
          > > Should be fun.
          > > Cheers,
          > > Rick

          > > mc-engine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:mc-engine-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

        • Rick Hammond
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
            Another question;
            If the rear engine was reversed, would two linked engines behave as a
            (close to) 90 deg. v-twin and how would the cranks have to be balanced?
            What is the 'usual' firing order for somethng like this?
            Cheers,
            Rick

            John Mead wrote:

            > Looks like a great effort. However, they should be running a rear
            > suspension.
            >
            > The salt may look smooth but it is actually very rough. I have been
            > there several times and have not seen any rigid frame bikes unless
            > they were running in one of the stock vintage classes.
            >
            > John Mead
            >
            > --- On Wed, 9/1/10, Rick Hammond <r.hammond@...
            > <mailto:r.hammond%40sympatico.ca>> wrote:
            >
            > > From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@...
            > <mailto:r.hammond%40sympatico.ca>>
            > > Subject: UK LSR double panther
            > <mailto:mc-chassis-design%40micapeak.com>>, mc-engine@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:mc-engine%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 10:41 AM
            > > Not earth-'braking', maybe earth
            > > shattering.. but a fun idea.
            > > At first I thought it might be a paralel twin. ;-)
            > >
            > > http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70586&showall=1
            > <http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70586&showall=1>
            > >
            > > Looked like a lot of empty space at first then they fill it
            > > in with stuff..
            > > Should be fun.
            > > Cheers,
            > > Rick

            > > mc-engine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:mc-engine-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

          • Ian
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
              >If the rear engine was reversed, would two linked engines behave as a
              >(close to) 90 deg. v-twin and how would the cranks have to be balanced?

              If the rear engine was reversed, and the original crank rotation
              maintained, then you would have counter-rotating cranks and
              if timed to come to TDC at the same time, all horizontal forces
              would cancel, but primary vibes would only be cancelled
              completely if both were horizontal.

              If you set them at 90 deg with the same crank rotation ( i.e. -
              one engine running backwards ), then 0% BF and timed 90 deg
              between TDC should give you similar balance to a single crank
              90 deg engine, but with a rocking couple due to the distance
              between the cranks.

              >What is the 'usual' firing order for somethng like this?

              Most V-Twins "spread" the firing, i.e. - not both fired on the same
              crank rotation.

              Cheers IAN

              See www.drysdalev8.com for :
              - Drysdale 750-V8 Sports & 1000-V8 Cruiser
              - DRYVTECH 2x2x2 Experimental
              - Carberry Enfield 1000cc V-Twin
              - Drysdale Hillclimb Open Wheeler
            • John Mead
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
                No problem Rick. There is a guy that runs a modified M20 BSA with the original rigid rear. Bikes does something like 90.

                John Mead

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
                  Since the new V would still have two different crankshafts each would still have to be balanced separately.

                  John Mead