proper assembly practices

  • aaron warner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
      recently, in a post regarding titanium/aluminum, loktite and other compounds were discussed.  I was hoping to get some opinions from the experienced folk here on what methods are recommended for a bike build.  what is recommended for general bolting together?  ie: nothing high stress like caliper bolts or engine internal stuff, just steel to steel, steel to al, al to al.  ruling out the places I'd be using loktite for common sense reasons, what do you folks recommend I use when I finally bolt it together?

       I remember coming across something in a carroll smith book that recommended something be applied - but can't recall what.  while I could try to dig the book back up, I'd still need you folks to help with a question the book raised. the book went into the reduced effort required during assembly (with the recommended goop) and how most of the torque that was applied was the force required to stretch the threads.  if everything requires different torque figures from the standard dry assembly, how do I set the torque wrench?  I'm hoping some of you have found a system to calculate required torques with the assembly fluid of choice.

      thanks a bunch,

      -aaron

    • Danny Whitfield
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
        On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM, aaron warner <aarwar916@...> wrote:

        > recently, in a post regarding titanium/aluminum, loktite and other compounds were discussed.  I was hoping to get some opinions from the experienced folk here on what methods are recommended for a bike build.  what is recommended for general bolting together?  ie: nothing high stress like caliper bolts or engine internal stuff, just steel to steel, steel to al, al to al.  ruling out the places I'd be using loktite for common sense reasons, what do you folks recommend I use when I finally bolt it together?
        >
        >  I remember coming across something in a carroll smith book that recommended something be applied - but can't recall what.  while I could try to dig the book back up, I'd still need you folks to help with a question the book raised. the book went into the reduced effort required during assembly (with the recommended goop) and how most of the torque that was applied was the force required to stretch the threads.  if everything requires different torque figures from the standard dry assembly, how do I set the torque wrench?  I'm hoping some of you have found a system to calculate required torques with the assembly fluid of choice.
        >
        > thanks a bunch,
        >
        > -aaron

        Blue locktite won't be a problem to disassemble and disallows exchange
        of metals if totally encapsolating the fastener joint threads (has
        been my experience) but I haven't worked with much TI, so I can't say
        definitely that it is OK to do, but I would try it.

        Dan Whitfield