Chain vs. Belt...

  • bikebreakerbob
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
      If the truth be known....I'd say the main reason Harley now uses drive
      belts is money,Harley knows how to make money if nothing else.And they
      aren't fool proof,a guy I work with broke one on his new Sportster
      (7,000 miles) and another bud of mine goes thru them on a regular basis
      with his Big Twin.When was the last time you saw a street bike pull a
      drive chain apart???
    • GStarRon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
        I thought the original discussion was for a PRIMARY belt drive... apples and oranges when you talk about the rear drive..  I do remember the early 750 Honda's breaking chains all too often... and there must be some reason the racers change their drive chains frequently...?  I have seen racers lose their chains on the race track. I do not know if they broke them or installed a master link and had it come off.. either way you lose..

        But I am unaware of primary belts failing regularly... again different..  there is no road debris to cause damage on a primary system.  While with a swing arm.. alignment may be a big issue.   Belts go away pretty fast when the alignment of the two "sprockets" are off, while with a chain you get sprocket and chain wear with mis-alignment... But with modern chains (thicker side plates, better steel, better pin design and riveting, and no more master links.. you are way less likely to have a chain break now, than years ago... they just wear fast under those conditions.   Belts do not like to have mis-alignment, but that should not be an issue in a primary drive.

        All of that said, when I crashed my bike back in 2000... and got it back on the road... some time after I decided to look inside the primary only to see my belt was half the width... and lots of swarf in the bottom... turned out the frame got bent in the crash.. I re-shimmed the engine to make it parallel to the tranny and as they say "Bob's your uncle..".  One of these days I will do a total strip of that bike and get the frame straightened.

        Oh yes, several bike makers have belt rear drive systems now... Kawi did it first back in the 70's I think...

        Cheers..!

        Ron

      • rsv250r@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
          In a message dated 12/1/2007 7:19:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, foist@... writes:
          If the truth be known....I'd say the main reason Harley now uses drive
          belts is money,Harley knows how to make money if nothing else.And they
          aren't fool proof,a guy I work with broke one on his new Sportster
          (7,000 miles) and another bud of mine goes thru them on a regular basis
          with his Big Twin.When was the last time you saw a street bike pull a
          drive chain apart???

          I'd say the main reason is to keep the bike clean.

          Who wants to spend hours and hours cleaning chain lube off of their spoked wheels/chrome etc.

        • John Mead
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
            The 1907 Harley had belt drive and I think that was the first.
            John Mead
            --- GStarRon@... wrote:

            > I thought the original discussion was for a PRIMARY belt drive... apples and
            >
            > oranges when you talk about the rear drive.. I do remember the early 750
            > Honda's breaking chains all too often... and there must be some reason the
            > racers change their drive chains frequently...? I have seen racers lose
            > their
            > chains on the race track. I do not know if they broke them or installed a
            > master link and had it come off.. either way you lose..
            >
            > But I am unaware of primary belts failing regularly... again different..
            > there is no road debris to cause damage on a primary system. While with a
            > swing arm.. alignment may be a big issue. Belts go away pretty fast when
            > the
            > alignment of the two "sprockets" are off, while with a chain you get
            > sprocket
            > and chain wear with mis-alignment... But with modern chains (thicker side
            > plates, better steel, better pin design and riveting, and no more master
            > links..
            > you are way less likely to have a chain break now, than years ago... they
            > just wear fast under those conditions. Belts do not like to have
            > mis-alignment, but that should not be an issue in a primary drive.
            >
            > All of that said, when I crashed my bike back in 2000... and got it back on
            > the road... some time after I decided to look inside the primary only to see
            >
            > my belt was half the width... and lots of swarf in the bottom... turned out
            > the frame got bent in the crash.. I re-shimmed the engine to make it parallel
            >
            > to the tranny and as they say "Bob's your uncle..". One of these days I
            > will
            > do a total strip of that bike and get the frame straightened.
            >
            > Oh yes, several bike makers have belt rear drive systems now... Kawi did it
            > first back in the 70's I think...
            >
            > Cheers..!
            >
            > Ron
            >
            > In a message dated 12/1/2007 4:19:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            > foist@... writes:
            >
            > If the truth be known....I'd say the main reason Harley now uses drive
            > belts is money,Harley knows how to make money if nothing else.And they
            > aren't fool proof,a guy I work with broke one on his new Sportster
            > (7,000 miles) and another bud of mine goes thru them on a regular basis
            > with his Big Twin.When was the last time you saw a street bike pull a
            > drive chain apart???
            >

            > **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
            > products.

          • RohanB
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
              The 1903 Harley had belt drive.
              This was a long way from the first of anything though..

              The 1885 Daimler motorcycle had belt drive.
              This was the first EVER motorcycle !!

              Steam bicycles even before that had belt drive too...

              Opethiselps...

              ----------

              From: John Mead <john.mead@...>
              To: mc-engine@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: Chain vs. Belt...
              Date: Sunday, December 02, 2007 11:22 AM

              The 1907 Harley had belt drive and I think that was the first.
              John Mead
            • Ken Augustine
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
                Quite a few of the HD riders I know prefer to have a belt before they drive those things.

                From: John Mead <john.mead@prodigy. net>
                To: mc-engine@yahoogrou ps.com
                Date: Sunday, December 02, 2007 11:22 AM

                The 1907 Harley had belt drive and I think that was the first.
                John Mead

              • Otto Nikolaus
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
                  :D