Crank -and other- balancers

  • Ernest Buckler
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2007
      On the subject of crank balancing, I heard recently about a bolt-on wheel
      balancer consisting of a ring with flat disc that fits in behind the front
      wheels of over-the-road trucks, specifically, that somehow balances those
      large heavy wheel assemblies. Anyone know more about how this works - and
      IF it works? Much debate about "balancers" in singles using 'flowing' wts,
      such as lead or steel shot in oil-filled cavities, etc., and this truck
      wheel balancer must be working on the same principle. Not cheap, either, and
      have been on the market for a long time, allegedly, so there must be some
      positive result.
      Ernest B.
    • Danny Whitfield
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2007
        On 11/13/07, Ernest Buckler <ebuckler@...> wrote:

        On the subject of crank balancing, I heard recently about a bolt-on wheel
        balancer consisting of a ring with flat disc that fits in behind the front
        wheels of over-the-road trucks, specifically, that somehow balances those
        large heavy wheel assemblies. Anyone know more about how this works - and
        IF it works? Much debate about "balancers" in singles using 'flowing' wts,
        such as lead or steel shot in oil-filled cavities, etc., and this truck
        wheel balancer must be working on the same principle. Not cheap, either, and
        have been on the market for a long time, allegedly, so there must be some
        positive result.
        Ernest B.

        In the 1970s and 80s we used a liquid balancing fluid which also served as a puncture seal in Harley-Davidson tires. It worked so well that one customer who had hit a curb so hard that the wheel was bent inward away from the tire bead did not notice any vibration at 100 MPH. It instantly rebalanced the wheel.

        Dan Whitfield

        Y! Sports for TV

        Access it for free

        Get Fantasy Sports