Anthony de Mello One Minute Wisdom

  • Eduard
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 12:04 AM
      ----------
      MIRACLES
      ----------

      A man traversed land and sea to check for himself the Master's
      extraordinary fame.
      "What miracles has your Master worked?" he said to a disciple.

      "Well, there are miracles and miracles. In your land it is regarded
      as a miracle if God does someone's will. In our country it is
      regarded as a miracle if someone does the will of God."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      INCOMPETENCE
      ----------

      The Master would insist that the final barrier to our attaining God
      was the word and concept "God."
      This so infuriated the local priest that he came in a huff to argue
      the matter out with the Master.

      "But surely the word 'God' can lead us to God?" said the priest.

      "It can," said the Master calmly.

      "How can something help and be a barrier?"

      Said the Master, "The donkey that brings you to the door is not the
      means by which you enter the house."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      REVOLUTION
      ----------

      There were rules in the monastery, but the Master always warned
      against the tyranny of the law.
      "Obedience keeps the rules," he would say. "Love knows when to break
      them."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      VIOLENCE
      ----------

      The Master was always teaching that guilt is an evil emotion to be
      avoided like the very devil — all guilt.
      "But are we not to hate our sins?" a disciple said one day.

      "When you are guilty, it is not your sins you hate but yourself."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      LIGHTHEARTEDNESS
      ----------

      In keeping with his doctrine that nothing be taken too seriously, not
      even his own teachings, the Master loved to tell this story on
      himself:
      "My very first disciple was so weak that the exercises killed him. My
      second disciple drove himself crazy from his earnest practice of the
      exercises I gave him. My third disciple dulled his intellect through
      too much contemplation. But the fourth managed to keep his sanity."

      "Why was that?" someone would invariably ask.

      "Possibly because he was the only one who refused to do the
      exercises." The Master's words would be drowned in howls of laughter.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      ACCEPTANCE
      ----------

      "How can I be a great man - like you?"
      "Why be a great man?" said the Master. "Being a man is a great enough
      achievement."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      BLINDNESS
      ----------

      "May I become your disciple?"
      "You are only a disciple because your eyes are closed. The day you
      open them you will see there is nothing you can learn from me or
      anyone."

      "What then is a Master for?"

      "To make you see the uselessness of having one."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      CHANGE
      ----------

      The visiting historian was disposed to be argumentative.
      "Do not our efforts change the course of human history?" he demanded.

      "Oh yes, they do," said the Master.

      "And have not our human labours changed the earth?"

      "They certainly have," said the Master.

      "Then why do you teach that human effort is of little consequence?"

      Said the Master, "Because when the wind subsides, the leaves still
      fall."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      ADULTHOOD
      ----------

      To a disciple who was always at his prayers the Master said, "When
      will you stop leaning on God and stand on your own two feet?"
      The disciple was astonished. "But you are the one who taught us to
      look on God as Father!"

      "When will you learn that a father isn't someone you can lean on but
      someone who rids you of your tendency to lean?"

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      PRAYER
      ----------

      The Master never ceased to attack the notions about God that people
      entertain.
      "If your God comes to your rescue and gets you out of trouble," he
      would say, "it is time you started searching for the true God."

      When asked to elaborate, this is the story he told:

      "A man left a brand-new bicycle unattended at the marketplace while
      he went about his shopping.

      He only remembered the bicycle the following day - and rushed to the
      marketplace, expecting it would have been stolen. The bicycle was
      exactly where he had left it.

      Overwhelmed with joy, he rushed to a nearby temple to thank God for
      having kept his bicycle safe only to find, when he got out of the
      temple, that the bicycle was gone."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      MEANING
      ----------

      Said a traveler to one of the disciples, "I have traveled a great
      distance to listen to the Master, but I find his words quite
      ordinary."
      "Don't listen to his words. Listen to his message."

      "How does one do that?"

      "Take hold of a sentence that he says. Shake it well till all the
      words drop off. What is left will set your heart on fire."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      FEARLESSNESS
      ----------

      "What is love?"
      "The total absence of fear," said the Master.

      "What is it we fear?"

      "Love," said the Master.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      LOVE
      ----------

      A newly married couple said, "What shall we do to make our love
      endure?"
      Said the Master, "Love other things together."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      IRRELEVANCE
      ----------

      All questions at the public meeting that day were about life beyond
      the grave.
      The Master only laughed and did not give a single answer.

      To his disciples, who demanded to know the reason for his
      evasiveness, he later said, "Have you observed that it is precisely
      those who do not know what to do with this life who want another that
      will last forever?"

      "But is there life after death or is there not?" persisted a disciple.

      "Is there life before death? - that is the question!" said the Master
      enigmatically.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      TOTALITARIANISM
      ----------

      To the disciples' embarrassment the Master once told a bishop that
      religious people have a natural bent for cruelty.
      "Why?" demanded the disciples after the bishop had gone.

      "Because they all too easily sacrifice persons for the advancement of
      a purpose," said the Master.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      Return to MENU
      ----------
      God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.
      —Voltaire (1694-1778)
      ----------
      SLEEPWALKING
      ----------

      The Master's expansive mood emboldened his disciples to say, "Tell us
      what you got from Enlightenment. Did you become divine?"
      "No."

      "Did you become a saint?"

      "No."

      "Then what did you become?"

      "Awake."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      SPEECH
      ----------

      The disciple couldn't wait to tell the Master the rumour he had heard
      in the marketplace.
      "Wait a minute," said the Master. "What you plan to tell us, is it
      true?"

      "I don't think it is."

      "Is it useful?"

      "No, it isn't."

      "Is it funny?"

      "No."

      "Then why should we be hearing it?"

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      AGGRESSION
      ----------

      A zealous disciple expressed a desire to teach others the Truth and
      asked the Master what he thought about this. The Master said, "Wait."
      Each year the disciple would return with the same request and each
      time the Master would give him the same reply: "Wait."

      One day he said to the Master, "When will I be ready to teach?"

      Said the Master, "When your excessive eagerness to teach has left
      you."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      HEALING
      ----------

      To a distressed person who came to him for help the Master said, "Do
      you really want a cure"
      "If I did not, would I bother to come to you?"

      "Oh yes Most people do."

      "What for?"

      "Not for a cure. That's painful. For relief."

      To his disciples the Master said, "People who want a cure, provided
      they can have it without pain, are like those who favour progress,
      provided they can have it without change."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      AWARENESS
      ----------

      "Is salvation obtained through action or through meditation?"
      "Through neither. Salvation comes from seeing."

      "Seeing what?"

      "That the gold necklace you wish to acquire is hanging round your
      neck. That the snake you are so frightened of is only a rope on the
      ground."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      BELIEF
      ----------

      The Master had quoted Aristotle: "In the quest of truth, it would
      seem better and indeed necessary to give up what is dearest to us."
      And he substituted the word "God" for "truth."
      Later a disciple said to him, "I am ready, in the quest for God, to
      give up anything: wealth, friends, family, country, life itself. What
      else can a person give up?"

      The Master calmly replied, "One's beliefs about God."

      The disciple went away sad, for he clung to his convictions. He
      feared "ignorance" more than death.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      IDENTITY
      ----------

      "How does one seek union with God?"
      "The harder you seek, the more distance you create between Him and
      you."

      "So what does one do about the distance?"

      "Understand that it isn't there."

      "Does that mean that God and I are one?"

      "Not one. Not two."

      "How is that possible?"

      "The sun and its light, the ocean and the wave, the singer and his
      song — not one. Not two."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      TRANSFORMATION
      ----------

      To a disciple who was forever complaining about others the Master
      said, "If it is peace you want, seek to change yourself, not other
      people. It is easier to protect your feet with slippers than to
      carpet the whole of the earth."
      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      RESTRICTION
      ----------

      The Master was exceedingly gracious to university dons who visited
      him, but he would never reply to their questions or be drawn into
      their theological speculations.
      To his disciples, who marveled at this, he said, "Can one talk about
      the ocean to a frog in a well — or about the divine to people who
      are
      restricted by their concepts?"

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      DARING
      ----------

      Said a disappointed visitor, "Why has my stay here yielded no fruit?"
      "Could it be because you lacked the courage to shake the tree?" said
      the Master benignly.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      EXPANSION
      ----------

      The Master sat in rapt attention as the renowned economist explained
      his blueprint for development.
      "Should growth be the only consideration in an economic theory?" he
      asked.

      "Yes. All growth is good in itself."

      "Isn't that the thinking of the cancer cell?" said the Master.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      HAPPINESS
      ----------

      "I am in desperate need of help — or I'll go crazy. We're living
      in a
      single room — my wife, my children and my in-laws. So our nerves
      are
      on edge, we yell and scream at one another. The room is a hell."
      "Do you promise to do whatever I tell you?" said the Master gravely.

      "I swear I shall do anything."

      "Very well. How many animals do you have?"

      "A cow, a goat and six chickens."

      "Take them all into the room with you. Then come back after a week."

      The disciple was appalled. But he had promised to obey! So he took
      the animals in. A week later he came back, a pitiable figure,
      moaning, "I'm a nervous wreck. The dirt! The stench! The noise! We're
      all on the verge of madness!"

      "Go back," said the Master, "and put the animals out."

      The man ran all the way home. And came back the following day, his
      eyes sparkling with joy. "How sweet life is! The animals are out. The
      home is a Paradise, so quiet and clean and roomy!"

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      DISCIPLESHIP
      ----------

      To a visitor who asked to become his disciple the Master said, "You
      may live with me, but don't become my follower."
      "Whom, then, shall I follow?"

      "No one. The day you follow someone you cease to follow Truth."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      DISCOVERY
      ----------

      "Help us to find God."
      "No one can help you there."

      "Why not?"

      "For the same reason that no one can help the fish to find the ocean."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      Return to MENU
      ----------
      We know accurately only when we know little, with knowledge doubt
      increases.
      — Goethe (1749-1832)
      ----------
      UNIVERSALITY
      ----------

      The Master ordinarily dissuaded people from living in a monastery.
      "To profit from books you don't have to live in a library," he would
      say.

      Or, even more forcefully, "You can read books without ever stepping
      into a library; and practice spirituality without ever going to a
      temple."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      PROPHECY
      ----------

      "I wish to become a teacher of the Truth."
      "Are you prepared to be ridiculed, ignored and starving till you are
      forty-five?"

      "I am. But tell me: What will happen after I am forty-five?"

      "You will have grown accustomed to it."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      MYTHS
      ----------

      The Master gave his teaching in parables and stories, which his
      disciples listened to with pleasure — and occasional frustration,
      for
      they longed for something deeper.
      The Master was unmoved. To all their objections he would say, "You
      have yet to understand, my dears, that the shortest distance between
      a human being and Truth is a story."

      Another time he said, "Do not despise the story. A lost gold coin is
      found by means of a penny candle; the deepest truth is found by means
      of a simple story."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      DOCTRINE
      ----------

      To a visitor who claimed he had no need to search for Truth because
      he found it in the beliefs of his religion the Master said:
      "There was once a student who never became a mathematician because he
      blindly believed the answers he found at the back of his math
      textbook - and, ironically, the answers were correct."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      HUMILITY
      ----------

      To a visitor who described himself as a seeker after Truth the Master
      said, "If what you seek is Truth, there is one thing you must have
      above all else."
      "I know. An overwhelming passion for it."

      "No. An unremitting readiness to admit you may be wrong."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      IGNORANCE
      ----------

      The young disciple was such a prodigy that scholars from everywhere
      sought his advice and marveled at his learning.
      When the governor was looking for an adviser, he came to the Master
      and said, "Tell me, is it true that the young man knows as much as
      they say he does?"

      "Truth to tell," said the Master wryly, "the fellow reads so much I
      don't see how he could ever find the time to know anything."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      HUMANITY
      ----------

      Much advance publicity was made for the address the Master would
      deliver on "The Destruction of the World" and a large crowd gathered
      at the monastery grounds to hear him.
      The address was over in less than a minute. All he said was:

      "These things
      will destroy the human race:
      politics without principle,
      progress without compassion,
      wealth without work,
      learning without silence,
      religion without fearlessness
      and worship without awareness."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      REALISM
      ----------

      A gambler once said to the Master, "I was caught cheating at cards
      yesterday, so my partners beat me up and threw me out of the window.
      What would you advise me to do?"
      The Master looked straight through the man and said, "If I were you,
      from now on I would play on the ground floor."

      This startled the disciples. "Why didn't you tell him to stop
      gambling?" they demanded.

      "Because I knew he wouldn't," was the Master's simple and sagacious
      explanation.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS
      ----------

      The Master loved ordinary people and was suspicious of those who
      stood out for their holiness.
      To a disciple who consulted him on marriage he said, "Be sure you
      don't marry a saint."

      "Why ever not?"

      "Because it is the surest way to make yourself a martyr," was the
      Master's merry reply.

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      RECOGNITION
      ----------

      As the Master grew old and infirm, the disciples begged him not to
      die. Said the Master, "If I did not go, how would you ever see?"
      "What is it we fail to see when you are with us?" they asked.

      But the Master would not say.

      When the moment of his death was near, they said, "What is it we will
      see when you are gone?"

      With a twinkle in his eye, the Master said, "All I did was sit on the
      riverbank handing out river water. After I'm gone, I trust you will
      notice the river."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      VANITY
      ----------

      The Master frequently reminded his disciples that holiness, like
      beauty, is only genuine when unselfconscious. He loved to quote the
      verse:
      "She blooms because she blooms,
      the Rose:
      Does not ask why,
      nor does she preen herself
      to catch my eye."

      And the saying: "A saint is a saint until he knows that he is one."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      IMITATION
      ----------

      After the Master attained Enlightenment, he took to living simply
      —
      because he found simple living to his taste.
      He laughed at his disciples when they took to simple living in
      imitation of him.

      "Of what use is it to copy my behaviour," he would say, "without my
      motivation. Or to adopt my motivation without the vision that
      produced it?"

      They understood him better when he said, "Does a goat become a rabbi
      because he grows a beard?"

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      INSIGHT
      ----------

      The disciples were involved in a heated discussion on the cause of
      human suffering.
      Some said it came from selfishness. Others, from delusion. Yet
      others, from the inability to distinguish the real from the unreal.

      When the Master was consulted, he said, "All suffering comes from a
      person's inability to sit still and be alone."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      PROJECTION
      ----------

      "Why is everyone here so happy except me?"
      "Because they have learned to see goodness and beauty everywhere,"
      said the Master.

      "Why don't I see goodness and beauty everywhere?"

      "Because you cannot see outside of you what you fail to see inside."

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ

      ----------
      SURVIVAL
      ----------

      Each day the disciple would ask the same question: "How shall I find
      God?"
      And each day he would get the same mysterious answer: "Through
      desire."

      "But I desire God with all my heart, don't I? Then why have I not
      found him?"

      One day the Master happened to be bathing in the river with the
      disciple. He pushed the man's head underwater and held it there while
      the poor fellow struggled desperately to break loose.

      Next day it was the Master who began the conversation. "Why did you
      struggle so when I held your head under water?"

      "Because I was gasping for air."

      "When you are given the grace to gasp for God the way you gasped for
      air, you will have found him.'

      © Anthony de Mello, SJ
    • ALFRED ARIMURTI
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8 2:27 AM

        Ini saya ambil dari salah satu web nya seorang master reiki, ini hasil wawancara asli dari grandmaster kita, P L Furumoto.

        Taken from the talk given by Phyllis Lei Furumoto on 9th October 1997 in Erskine, near Glasgow, Scotland, UK, at the Annual Gathering of the UK Reiki Association.

        I have been asked to speak about trade marks and what is really happening.

        It is always hard to know where to start, so I will start at the way beginning. When I was traveling with my grandmother for the first time, heard her speak and met with the masters that she had initiated, it was clear for me that there was an agreement or understanding taking place that I did not really receive but I knew that was in the air. Then once I had travelled and been with her again the next year it was really clear for me that I had been imparted with something. We did not really know what it was, but we knew what we were supposed to do with it. Which was to practice!

        For years afterwards we, the masters that she initiated, practiced. The ones that I had close contact with did not even think about changing anything, even though we had lots of questions. For example there was a time in my second year of teaching after she died when I went through this crisis around charging people for First Degree. But I never thought about changing the amount of money or dropping it. What I did was, I stopped teaching until I could figure out what was happening in me. This was a natural process for me. Then in about the late 1980's, early '90's, changes started happening. Mostly through the initiation of masters in a very short time period; so in a space of a year there might be one master who would initiate another master who would initiate another master. There might he six generations in one year.

        During this time it was obvious that the changes came from people hearing something different from what was being communicated and then passing that on through their own filter. We are all familiar with that particular part of our human communication system. The other thing that started to happen more and more was that people consciously changed the system. They added symbols, or they charged less, or did not charge any money at all. They were not satisfied with the way that the Precepts were written so they changed the wording. They changed the initiation process, the actual ritual of initiation and now they have changed the number of initiations for 1 st degree and for 2nd degree. The list goes on and on.

        During this time I was often asked "What is the definition of the Usui System?" At that moment, 7 or 8 years ago, I really could not say anything. I knew it in my body, I knew it in myself, I knew it in my practice. I did not know how to communicate it. So I started to pay attention to my communication and Paul Mitchell and I began a series of seminars called 'Master lntensives'. We sat with groups of Masters and spoke about this definition of the Usui System. It was during this time that I realized that there was actually something that had been passed to me that I had held and kept, as part of a covenant that my grandmother had given me. I realized that as a Master part of my responsibility and my task was to hold this Form in stewardship. That was my part of this covenant in being initiated as a Master. Takata gave me the gift and my responsibility was to keep it faithfully. I realized that my discomfort with a lot of the changes was that I did not know what the changes would do, but I knew that it was somehow a violation of something, although I did not know what it was. I soon realized that it was a violation of this covenant that had been handed to me and understood by the Masters at that time.

        So, then I began to look at whether it would be possible to honor everyone: honoring individual process and also being able to hold the Usui System in its identity. To create a process where this system, the Usui System, would be held in its wholeness; not just for me, but so that in 100 years from now, people will be able to have this very same gift. I know that the changes have not affected my practice nor my teaching, however I wanted the System to have longevity. So I began a search to find a way to do this.

        Then something came up in the community when trademarks were filed in Germany by another Master, a student of mine who felt like I was not doing my job, so he did it for me. He filed for these trademarks, got them registered and then started sending letters to everyone, not including me, but people very close to me, saying that they could not practice Reiki in Germany because he owned the trademark! So that was very interesting! It motivated me to find out more about trademarks.(see note 1 below, PD)

        I took 2 or 3 years to research this, to find out for myself what the process was, what it was really about and whether it could be useful for this practice. A little under a year ago I decided that I would like to start a process that would lead the community into owning their trademarks for this particular discipline and to create a program for masters where those who practiced through this lineage could be identified, recognized by the public and by themselves alike. This would involve something that we call licensing. (see note 2 below, PD)

        So I have spoken to many attorneys and Reiki masters collecting their advice. Eventually I wrote a letter that came out at the very beginning of April. It was written in March and came out at the beginning of April. This went out to all the masters on my mailing list. Basically it outlined a plan that was already starting to take form. Masters of other countries who heard about this German process went to their trade mark offices and filed for the trademarks themselves. Then they called me up and said "Well, I have these trademarks and I'd like to give them to you because I shouldn't hold them as just one Master, I want you to hold them as the Lineage Bearer for this System." This was a real challenge for me, because at that point I did not know whether I wanted to do this or not. So after deciding to accept these requests I decided to transfer all the trademarks into my name.

        Trademarks can be a way of control but they do not work very well in this context. For me they are more a modern day way of honoring of what is. If somebody has introduced a concept or an idea, it is their right to have the say about what happens to this particular concept, practice or invention. This is a way that we can communicate world-wide these particular identities. So when I decided to trademark Reiki I was not trademarking 'Reiki, the universal life energy'. It is trade marking the word Reiki in relationship to the identification of the Usui System: for me these two words 'Usui System of Natural Healing' and 'Reiki' are used interchangeably. It is important for me to find out whether these two phrases are actually, by the trademark office's definition, in the public domain, can anybody can trademark them? That is what I want to know and the only way to do that is to actually file for them. If I would get them then I would have the possibility of allowing people to use them or not.

        I have no interest in creating a situation where students of Reiki have fear of their practice . When you file for a trademark you file for different classes. So, for example if you wanted to file so that people could not make Reiki T-shirts then you would file in one particular class; if you wanted to file in a class where they could not print it on a business card then that would be another class. If you wanted to file it so that people could not put Reiki on a drinking glass then you would file it in another class. If you want to be clear about who teaches then you file in another class. That is the class I am filing it in and it is the only class I am filing it in. It is quite obvious that I cannot enforce anything that looks like Reiki T-shirts or Reiki books, Reiki pamphlets or advertisements, that is not possible to maintain. I want to establish that the Usui System is a specific form of practice and that there are boundaries to this practice. Within it there is individual _expression. Those people who have changed the system or who practice something that is inspired by, but is not quite, this Form, have the opportunity to name their system for themselves, whatever that might be, and to be clear about their own identity, so that we can be clear about ours.(see note 3 below, PD)

        I have responded in this situation through my calling as Grand Master. I don't have an attachment to whether or not I have the trademarks. What is important for me is that others cannot file for this trade mark and threaten the identity of this System

        In these last few years of soul searching the question has been: "Is this really the right step, is this a melding that can actually work or will the energetic of all that I don't like about business enter into this practice and affect it?"

        This is a really good question, it is a fear that a lot of people share. Behind that, I realized, the pain I was feeling was just simply that I have had to even consider this step. 13 years ago, I had a Master student come to me whose husband worked for the trademark office of the European Union. He said to me "Do you know, you should file for these trade marks now, because when the European Union comes in you would then have the right to the trademarks in all of these countries. If you never use them, it's OK, but at least you would have them." I said "There's absolutely no reason why I should do this." Over the years this has proven to be a mistake. It is not an action that I have done lightly. It is not an action that I have done without pain. I still carry that pain. I feel moved because of the quality of this practice that has been sustained comes from this core of Masters Takata initiated. I want this to be sustained for the next generations.

        I also want to say to the people who are practicing their own form: that is really OK for me. I just want them to have their own name, that is all. I want them to be able to identify themselves and to say "I have changed it, and I know I've changed it and this is what it's called" If it is a really clear distinction, then that is great. I am happy and then other people can choose for themselves. But, to go into something and find out that what you have learned as the Usui System, is not the Usui System, indeed hardly recognizable, is a very sad thing.

        So, some people say that I am changing the System because, for them, they do not know that some of this is the Form, but that the definition and Form that I put out right now is the one that I was given by Takata and the one that is carried by her Masters.

        1997 Phyllis Furumoto