1912 Maxwell AC

  • mccrediedavid
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      The keyed connection of the drive shaft to the front universal joint on my 2 cylinder has a small amount of clearance. There is no visible wear on either keyway and the 1/4" key is .002" undersize. I replaced the key with a new one that is about .001" oversize and there is still a little radial play. This is the sliding joint so some clearance is necessary.
      Re-cutting the keyways and making an oversize key would improve it further but I am wondering whether this is necessary.
      Is this a joint that is prone to failure such as shearing of the key or is a little clearance acceptable?
      David McCredie
      Australia
    • THOMAS REESE

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
          Hi Tom, Thanks for that, it is exactly the feed back I was looking for,
          I will leave it as it is.

          David McCredie
          Australia
          --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS REESE <twrcars@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi David.
          > In my experience, having restored and/or owned 7 Maxwells, you have
          > over-fit it already. They are very forgiving. Factory fit-ups were
          > far from precise. I have never sheared any pin or key anywhere in
          > thousands of miles of operation.
          >
          > Tom Reese
          > LC & GA
          > On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:58 PM, mccrediedavid wrote:
          >
          > > The keyed connection of the drive shaft to the front universal joint
          > > on my 2 cylinder has a small amount of clearance. There is no
          > > visible wear on either keyway and the 1/4" key is .002" undersize. I
          > > replaced the key with a new one that is about .001" oversize and
          > > there is still a little radial play. This is the sliding joint so
          > > some clearance is necessary.
          > > Re-cutting the keyways and making an oversize key would improve it
          > > further but I am wondering whether this is necessary.
          > > Is this a joint that is prone to failure such as shearing of the key
          > > or is a little clearance acceptable?
          > > David McCredie
          > > Australia

        • FrankC1909LD
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 9, 2011
            Hi BJ
            I have recently joined the group after my wife Adrienne bought an LD Runabout, VIN LD9024.

            I am interested to know how the battery was secured under the driver's seat. I have bought a 6 volt 4.5 amp-hour lead acid, low maintenance battery for this duty.
            Also, what is the specification of the linoleum on the floor. The forum refers to it as battleship linoleum.

            Frank Cerutti
            LD9024