Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] 1910 Q3 Restoration Update + Requests

  • Greg W.
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2009
      Hello again everyone.  Since I'm on Spring Break this week, I thought I'd give you some updates on the restoration of the car.  I haven't been able to do much, but we're finding new things all the time when we work on it.

      Just today I spent some time running some of the parts under a wire brush to remove some rust.  I found that we have the bracket that holds a part of the magneto, I think, but we're yet to find the magneto.  While clearing out some space around the car, though, I found two separate magnetos, which surprised me very much.  The first was an Eismann (or something of that sort), which was patented December 22, 1914, according to the back.  It looked to be in very good shape.  The other magneto I found was a nearly-complete one from the KW Ignition Company --- a model J.  I don't know much more to tell about it, other than the fact that it was still very magnetic.  I know that neither of these are the Splitdorf for the Maxwell, but nonetheless I thought they were interesting finds.

      In regards to the body, we're still trying to figure out where we can find a template for one, at least.  We appear to have part of the template for the back seats (since we appear to have part of it), and we have some of the lower body, at least to the back of the front seat.  I'll try to get some pictures of what we have of the body in the next couple of days.  Also, in the effort to keep rust at bay, I was hoping to begin cleaning the cowl in the upcoming weeks.  The only issue we may run into with that is regarding the spine and the hinge within it.  The two pieces can fold just fine, but they have become detatched on the spine, and I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.  Otherwise the pieces are in very good shape, and I think it would be good to get some primer on them eventually.

      In the meantime I'll continue wire brushing some pieces to get rust off of them and try to find out more about how each individual piece of the engine, body, and frame were painted (same color, different color, etc.).  As the weather gets warmer I hope to be home more often to work on this car so that I can hit the ground running with the restoration this summer.

      Any thoughts, ideas, or questions are more than welcome.  Thanks everyone!

      ---Greg

      On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Mel McDonald <mel@...> wrote:

      Greg,

      There is a nice picture of the Model Q engine (A very impressive unit for 1910.) in “70 Years of Chrysler” by George H. Dammann, as well as a full side picture of the Q3.  If you don’t have access to this publication, I would be glad to scan it and send it to you.  There is no info on the engine color, but it does mention dark blue for the body.  It does not mention the fender color.  They could be black, but I do believe that most of the restorations of these early Maxwell’s that I’ve seen use the same color bodies and fenders.  That’s not necessarily accurate, but could be a reasonable indicator.  The Horseless Carriage Club of America library could be very helpful with these kinds of details for a very reasonable cost.

      Good luck, and let me know if you want the scans.

      Mel McDonald

      Dallas, TX