RE: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Maxwell Purchase

  • Sanford Sears
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008

      Hi Vern,

      Address:

      313b George Street

      New Bern, NC 28562

      252-6336275

      Sanford.....Did I oil to much, with the oil tank draining after 2 hours?  What weight oil, should I use?

      From: Vern Campbell <dvcampbell@toast. net>
      To: maxwellbriscoeowner s@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 9:14 AM

      Hello Sanford:
          I apologize for the tardy reply, but congratulations on the purchase of your 1910 AA.  Since I keep the Maxwell Registry, I would like to keep it up to date.  Who was the previous owner?  I would also need your name, address and phone.  When I receive this from you, I will revise the registry and send you a copy.  I do also have some other Maxwell material that I am willing to send to you.
          I look forward to hearing from you.
              Vern Campbell
              19005 Cone Road
              Milan, MI 48160       734-439-7727
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008

        Hi,

        I was hoping that I could get some advice here.  Was I running too rich on oil?  Also now that I must immediately replace the oil before I start up again, what weight oil? Is first gear a bit tricky to find, or is it the driver?  I assume that the brake lock is for long term parking.  Never the less, I put wheel chocks on board in the tool box.  I mention this important item for last year I almost had my wife leave the hobby, I decided to run over her foot with the Model T.

        Sanford

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
          Sanford:
              Most of the old car guys use a straight 30 weight oil.  The oiling system on the Maxwell is a bit complicated, so now that I have your phone number I will give you a call.  I can explain some things, but other things about the system only God knows.
              Vern

        • awentsbury@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
             Hi Vern ,
            I also have a 1910  AA over here in the UK and would be interested to hear your information .
            can you post it here for everyone to read ,
            Thanks .

            Ian Kerr
            1910 AA
            Birmingham UK.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008

              Sanford:

              I'm not surre there is such a thing as too much oil!!!  I read in one of my old bookks "better too much than too little"

              As my 07 Tourabout can attest--the previous owner ran out of oil on a tour and threw a rod thru the bottom of the case !!!

              One of my books states that a drip rate of 8 to 12 per minute is sufficient-- I generally set mine at 10--

              Did the entire 100th tour in Indiana set tht way and all went very well.  Good luck and enjoy the car...they truly are lots of fun.

                   Best of luck,

                                         Dick Baril

                                          Brooklyn, Ct. 06234