Maxwell Purchase

  • Sanford Sears
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 22, 2008

      Dear All,

      After several years of trying to track down and re purchase my father's 1908 LC Tourabout, I can say that I was not successful.  Dad had sold this when he was in his late 70's realizing he would not be able to drive it.  I was able to just recently purchase a 1910 AA.  I hope that from time to time I might be able to ask questions, as I was a rather young man when I first drove my father's LC and I have quite forgotten operation.  As with so many caught up in time and work I was unable to spend time with the owner and learn operations. He has been very helpful, but I look forward to discussing Maxwell infor with all of you.  I look forward to "slow" touring and thank you for your help.

      Faithfully,

      Father Sanford R. Sears

      New Bern, NC.

    • Thomas Reese
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 23, 2008
        Hi, Last weekend my wife and I drove our LC 95 miles without
        mechanical incident. Weather was perfect, scenery was breathtaking
        and traffic was minimal. We drove with 13 other 1& 2 cylinder cars,
        including 3 other Maxwells. Learning the drive will come easy. the
        occasion might be harder.

        Tom Reese
        LC 3124
        On Jun 22, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Sanford Sears wrote:

        Dear All,

        After several years of trying to track down and re purchase my father's
        1908 LC Tourabout, I can say that I was not successful.  Dad had sold
        this when he was in his late 70's realizing he would not be able to
        drive it.  I was able to just recently purchase a 1910 AA.  I hope that
        from time to time I might be able to ask questions, as I was a rather
        young man when I first drove my father's LC and I have quite forgotten
        operation.  As with so many caught up in time and work I was unable to
        spend time with the owner and learn operations. He has been very
        helpful, but I look forward to discussing Maxwell infor with all of
        you.  I look forward to "slow" touring and thank you for your help.

        Faithfully,

        Father Sanford R. Sears

        New Bern, NC.
      • George House
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23, 2008
          Sanford,
               Welcome back to the Maxwell world! I'm sorry you didn't get to acquire the car your dad had for obvious sentimental reasons. I have a '10 AA also. About the only considerations I would advise is getting the correct drip adjustment on the brass oilers for proper cylinder lubrication and knowing the two U Joints are real spindly and don't change the direction of travel like we do on modern automatic transmissions by placing undue torque on them.  (Don't ask why I know this ;o(  . . . )

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
            Hello Sanford:
                I apologize for the tardy reply, but congratulations on the purchase of your 1910 AA.  Since I keep the Maxwell Registry, I would like to keep it up to date.  Who was the previous owner?  I would also need your name, address and phone.  When I receive this from you, I will revise the registry and send you a copy.  I do also have some other Maxwell material that I am willing to send to you.
                I look forward to hearing from you.
                    Vern Campbell
                    19005 Cone Road
                    Milan, MI 48160       734-439-7727
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
              I am looking for assistance to obtain 2 Splitdorf coils for my 1906
              Tourabout. I have a pair that do not work but might be rebuilt. These are
              about 7" tall x 3 1/8" x 2 3/4"

              Leads on replacements or rebuild information would be helpful.

              Ron Davis
              106 Hawk Hill Road
              Cobleskill, NY 12043 davisre3@...
            • S ATHERTON
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                Dear sir a guy in uk has new coils for veteran cars , contact Veteran car club UK , to rebuild cost a fortune , so you can keep old org coils and run car on new coils

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Ron,

                  Your coils can probably be rebuilt. More than likely they may just
                  need new condensers as the old paper condensers rarely work anymore.
                  Probably the best place to get a proper new style replacement
                  condenser is from a Model T supplier, but be aware that some of the
                  Model T suppliers are not selling the correct condenser. What you
                  need is called an "orange drop condenser". I think these are
                  available from Lang's Old Car Parts, Inc., www.modeltford.com and are
                  part number 5009 and cost about $10. for a set of 4 condensers.

                  I had some Splitdorf coils rebuilt by R.V. Anderson, R.V. Anderson
                  Antique Auto Engineering, 3515 Route 62, Kennedy, NY 14747.
                  rvmodelt@... He did a great job and from what I understand,
                  can rebuild almost any coil. He was not too expensive so I'd suggest
                  you contact him. However, you first might want to change the
                  condensers and see if that does the trick.

                  Charlie Tosch
                  Brandon, Manitoba

                  --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Davis"

                • dpmarshall@prodigy.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                    RV rebuilds old ones and makes new ones at reasonable price, he did good job on mine.
                    Dave in Wichita

                    From: "Charlie Tosch" <ctosch@...>
                    Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:38:09 -0000
                    To: <maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Maxwell coils

                    rvmodelt@madbbs. com He did a great job and from what I understand,

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

                      Hi Vern,

                      The car was purchased from Steve Hallien in Fort Wayne.  I am not sure of the previous owner to Steve, but I believe that you restored the carburetor. I just received the car yesterday, and am very happy with it.  My address is as follows:

                      Father Sanford R. Sears

                      313b George Street

                      New Bern, NC 28562

                      Thanks again

                      Blessings,

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

                        Received the '10 AA yesterday.  Started up just fine.  In fact a real treat to crank compared to my ' 14 T.  I followed everyone's advice and kept my oil drops at what I thought was 20 drops per minute.  Well oiled, the car, not the driver, except I must have miscounted.  After 2 hours of drive time, the oil tank was down below a 1/4 tank, drops stoped dripping and I knew the car was running rich on oil.  More advice if you please.

                        Also I noted that 1st gear takes some getting used to as far as the exact location.  But otherwise the car ran well.  I would rather be well oiled (the car) then not.

                        Sanford Sears

                      • Vern Campbell
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                          Ron:
                              As another email has stated, R. V. Anderson rebuilds those type of coil and does them very well, and at a reasonable cost.  I suggest you contact him.
                              Vern Campbell

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                            Hello Sanford:
                                We do have your Maxwell listed under Steve Hallien.  I will make the change to you.  I would also like a phone number and email address for you.
                                Vern Campbell

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008

                              Hi Vern,

                              Address:

                              313b George Street

                              New Bern, NC 28562

                              252-6336275

                              Sanford.....Did I oil to much, with the oil tank draining after 2 hours?  What weight oil, should I use?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008

                                Hi,

                                I was hoping that I could get some advice here.  Was I running too rich on oil?  Also now that I must immediately replace the oil before I start up again, what weight oil? Is first gear a bit tricky to find, or is it the driver?  I assume that the brake lock is for long term parking.  Never the less, I put wheel chocks on board in the tool box.  I mention this important item for last year I almost had my wife leave the hobby, I decided to run over her foot with the Model T.

                                Sanford

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
                                  Sanford:
                                      Most of the old car guys use a straight 30 weight oil.  The oiling system on the Maxwell is a bit complicated, so now that I have your phone number I will give you a call.  I can explain some things, but other things about the system only God knows.
                                      Vern

                                • awentsbury@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
                                     Hi Vern ,
                                    I also have a 1910  AA over here in the UK and would be interested to hear your information .
                                    can you post it here for everyone to read ,
                                    Thanks .

                                    Ian Kerr
                                    1910 AA
                                    Birmingham UK.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008

                                      Sanford:

                                      I'm not surre there is such a thing as too much oil!!!  I read in one of my old bookks "better too much than too little"

                                      As my 07 Tourabout can attest--the previous owner ran out of oil on a tour and threw a rod thru the bottom of the case !!!

                                      One of my books states that a drip rate of 8 to 12 per minute is sufficient-- I generally set mine at 10--

                                      Did the entire 100th tour in Indiana set tht way and all went very well.  Good luck and enjoy the car...they truly are lots of fun.

                                           Best of luck,

                                                                 Dick Baril

                                                                  Brooklyn, Ct. 06234