Re: 1912 Maxwell AC

  • mccrediedavid
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
      Thanks for the all the advice received regarding the ignition system
      on my "new" Maxwell AC. I got it started it today on "Battery" after
      correcting some wiring problems. It has been fitted with a new coil
      and condensor inside the coil box. The new coil looks exactly the
      same as a normal coil except that it has 2 high tension terminals
      instead of one. There is nothing to indicate a brand or maximum
      voltage. I have been told that it is not a problem to connect it to
      the 12V car battery fitted to the car, does anyone have any
      information about these twin terminal coils?
      Also the car has a modern Delco Remy starter/generator mounted over
      the top of the engine driving the flywheel via a flat belt. The ratio
      of the small pulley on the starter/generator to the flywheel is about
      7.7:1 so when the engine is at say 1000RPM the starter/generator will
      be at 7,700 RPM!! I doubt that it is capable of sustained running at
      this speed. Does anyone have experience with such a set up? One
      solution is to revert to original which I may do but for the moment it
      is useful in getting the engine started and sorted out.

      David McCredie Australia.

      --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, RLtandem@... wrote:

      > Congrats David,
      >
      > I can tell you that if the car's ignition is truly stock: DO NOT use
      12 volts on the dashboard mounted Splitdorf coil it will burn out! It
      requires only?5 to 7 volts from the lantern battery under the seat.
      The system is truly simple. It uses the coil on the dash at all times
      to?the spark plugs (both plugs?at the same time on a twin?& yes only
      one is firing at the correct time at the compression cycle of a
      cylinder -- the other is on it's exhaust stroke). The current is
      supplied by either a battery or the low tension magneto and the points
      are always in use. The magneto is really a low voltage alternating
      current dynamo with a surprisingly low voltage output of 4-7 volts;
      that is until you realize that the magnetic field(s)?are colapsing at
      the same time in both it's internal coil and the dash coil just?as the
      points are opening, leaving only one path for the energy to go --to
      the plugs. The two terminals on the dash coil are connected to the
      battery, polarity is unimportant.

    • RLtandem@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
        David,
        Glad you got the coil wiring sorted out. I never did find my wiring diagram. The coil sounds like a new motorcycle type (BMW for example) and would be happy at 14.7 volts and therefore may not work on the Mag. Would you post some photos of the starter with the belt drive to the club web site site? If the driving pulley has a Sprage Co. type of "jam-clutch" at it's core then it would only function as a connected drive when the starter motor is energized and would allow the engine to "over spin" the small pulley once under power. This type of system was used on Marmon and some other early American autos that did not use the Bendix drive patented system. It requires very precision hardened steel parts at it's core to have any durability however (I have had the joy of rebuilding one for a Marmon owner). Additionally, with that system you get to listen to the sounds of the belt (or "silent" chain) drive running the entire time your engine is running. Oh joy.
        BJ Coombes
        Eagle Point Oregon USA

        Thanks for the all the advice received regarding the ignition system
        on my "new" Maxwell AC. I got it started it today on "Battery" after
        correcting some wiring problems. It has been fitted with a new coil
        and condensor inside the coil box. The new coil looks exactly the
        same as a normal coil except that it has 2 high tension terminals
        instead of one. There is nothing to indicate a brand or maximum
        voltage. I have been told that it is not a problem to connect it to
        the 12V car battery fitted to the car, does anyone have any
        information about these twin terminal coils?
        Also the car has a modern Delco Remy starter/generator mounted over
        the top of the engine driving the flywheel via a flat belt. The ratio
        of the small pulley on the starter/generator to the flywheel is about
        7.7:1 so when the engine is at say 1000RPM the starter/generator will
        be at 7,700 RPM!! I doubt that it is capable of sustained running at
        this speed. Does anyone have experience with such a set up? One
        solution is to revert to original which I may do but for the moment it
        is useful in getting the engine started and sorted out.

        David McCredie Australia.

        --- In maxwellbriscoeowner s@yahoogroups. com, RLtandem@... wrote:

        > Congrats David,
        >
        > I can tell you that if the car's ignition is truly stock: DO NOT use
        12 volts on the dashboard mounted Splitdorf coil it will burn out! It
        requires only?5 to 7 volts from the lantern battery under the seat.
        The system is truly simple. It uses the coil on the dash at all times
        to?the spark plugs (both plugs?at the same time on a twin?& yes only
        one is firing at the correct time at the compression cycle of a
        cylinder -- the other is on it's exhaust stroke). The current is
        supplied by either a battery or the low tension magneto and the points
        are always in use. The magneto is really a low voltage alternating
        current dynamo with a surprisingly low voltage output of 4-7 volts;
        that is until you realize that the magnetic field(s)?are colapsing at
        the same time in both it's internal coil and the dash coil just?as the
        points are opening, leaving only one path for the energy to go --to
        the plugs. The two terminals on the dash coil are connected to the
        battery, polarity is unimportant.
        > good driving,
        >
        > BJ Coombes
        > 1909 LD
        > Eagle point, Oregon

      • David McCredie
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008

          Thanks for that, when I started it, I only ran it for a few seconds because it was getting late and I could not see the oil sight glasses but when I switched it to “magneto’ it started to falter, so it seems that the coil will not work with the magneto.  This is not a problem if I leave the starter generator in place it can then always run on battery.   If I revert to original perhaps I can set it up with a separate 6V coil for the magneto.

          As for the starter generator set up I will post some photos.  It has been very well done.   It does not have the clutch set up you describe, when in generator mode it will spin at about 7.7 times engine speed.  I sent an e-mail to Delco Remy asking what maximum RPM the generator is capable of and the reply has just arrived.  I am surprised to learn that it is OK up to 12,000 RPM and develops maximum power at 7,100 RPM so providing the Maxwell engine does not exceed about 1500 RPM then it has been well selected for this application.   Incidentally what is the maximum RPM for the 2 cylinder Maxwell?

          David McCredie -  Sydney Australia

> [...]

          requires only?5 to 7 volts from the lantern battery under the seat.
          The system is truly simple. It uses the coil on the dash at all times
          to?the spark plugs (both plugs?at the same time on a twin?& yes only
          one is firing at the correct time at the compression cycle of a
          cylinder -- the other is on it's exhaust stroke). The current is
          supplied by either a battery or the low tension magneto and the points
          are always in use. The magneto is really a low voltage alternating
          current dynamo with a surprisingly low voltage output of 4-7 volts;
          that is until you realize that the magnetic field(s)?are colapsing at
          the same time in both it's internal coil and the dash coil just?as the
          points are opening, leaving only one path for the energy to go --to
          the plugs. The two terminals on the dash coil are connected to the

        • David McCredie
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008

            Have just posted 2 photos of the starter/generator fitted to my 1912 Maxwell AC, as requested .  It has been very well done, by removing the four large stud bolts and replacing them with the original 4 bolts the whole thing can be reverted to original.  The car has been restored as a driver not a show car so maybe best to just leave it as is, comments welcome.

          • RLtandem@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
              David,
              I don't have an authorial answer on the mxRPM of a Maxwell engine; but I am sure I have had mine over 1500 RPM --for short times while running down hill with a tail wind! The engine runs out of carbureting capacity early (assuming you have a Maxwell carb) which is a very good thing considering the other limitations of the engine design. I know that if you raise the compression on the engine higher than stock you can break lots of parts into lots of smaller pieces very easily. One long-term weaknesses in the design includes the fact that the valve seats are without uniform cooling and will burn frequently. I have lit a cigar by holding it against the top of a combustion chamber just after reaching the top of a good hill! Maxwell advertised this as a very desirable quality because it prevented carbon build-up in the combustion chamber (the iron runs so hot the carbon burns off). Would you post for the group the model of the starter as well as the Mfg. of the pully. It looks like a nice combination.
              BJ Coombes
              Eagle Point, OR
              1909 LD

> [...]

              requires only?5 to 7 volts from the lantern battery under the seat.
              The system is truly simple. It uses the coil on the dash at all times
              to?the spark plugs (both plugs?at the same time on a twin?& yes only
              one is firing at the correct time at the compression cycle of a
              cylinder -- the other is on it's exhaust stroke). The current is
              supplied by either a battery or the low tension magneto and the points
              are always in use. The magneto is really a low voltage alternating
              current dynamo with a surprisingly low voltage output of 4-7 volts;
              that is until you realize that the magnetic field(s)?are colapsing at
              the same time in both it's internal coil and the dash coil just?as the
              points are opening, leaving only one path for the energy to go --to
              the plugs. The two terminals on the dash coil are connected to the

            • mccrediedavid
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                The starter generator unit is a Delco Remy Model : 1101970

                Serial # 4M29, Delco Remy in their reply referred to it as Follows:

                "According to a 1977 Model Book, this 10MG100 motor/generator maximum
                speed is 12000 rpm and full output is reached at 7100 rpm"

                David McCredie Sydney Australia

                --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, RLtandem@... wrote:

                > David,
                > I don't have an authorial answer on the mxRPM of a Maxwell engine;
                but I am sure I have had mine over 1500 RPM --for short times while
                running down hill with a tail wind! The engine runs out of carbureting
                capacity early (assuming you have a Maxwell carb) which is a very
                good thing considering the other limitations of the engine design. I
                know that if you raise the compression on the engine higher than stock
                you can break lots of parts into lots of smaller pieces very
                easily. One long-term weaknesses in the design includes the fact that
                the valve seats are without uniform cooling and will burn frequently.
                I have lit a cigar by holding it against the top of a combustion
                chamber just after reaching the top of a good hill! Maxwell
                advertised this as a very desirable quality because it prevented
                carbon build-up in the combustion chamber (the iron runs so hot the
                carbon burns off). Would you post for the group the model of the
                starter as well as the Mfg. of the pully. It looks like a nice
                combination.
                > BJ Coombes
                > Eagle Point, OR
                > 1909 LDÂ Â

                with a separate 6V coil for the magneto.Â

                > As for the starter generator set up I will post some photos. It
                has been very well done.  It does not have the clutch set up you
                describe, when in generator mode it will spin at about 7.7 times
                engine speed. I sent an e-mail to Delco Remy asking what maximum RPM
                the generator is capable of and the reply has just arrived. I am
                surprised to learn that it is OK up to 12,000 RPM and develops maximum
                power at 7,100 RPM so providing the Maxwell engine does not exceed
                about 1500 RPM then it has been well selected for this application.Â
                Â Incidentally what is the maximum RPM for the 2 cylinder Maxwell?

                > David McCredie -Â Sydney Australia

                example)Â and would be happy at 14.7 volts and therefore may not work
                on the Mag. Would you post some photos of the starter with the belt
                drive to the club web site site? If the driving pulley has a Sprage
                Co. type of "jam-clutch" at it's core then it would only function as a
                connected drive when the starter motor is energized and would allow
                the engine to "over spin" the small pulley once under power. This
                type of system was used on Marmon and some other early American autos
                that did not use the Bendix drive patented system. It requires very
                precision hardened steel parts at it's core to have any durability
                however (I have had the joy of rebuilding one for a Marmon
                owner). Additionally, with that system you get to listen to the
                sounds of the belt (or "silent" chain)Â drive running the entire time

              • mccrediedavid
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 21, 2008
                  I have a few questions regarding our Messenger:

                  The screw cap on the oil tank has a small hole (~1/16") drilled in
                  it. Can anyone tell me if this is original as it seems strange for a
                  pressurized tank. I have plugged it temporarily to assist in getting
                  oil flow.

                  I understand that when the oil tank is nearly empty the engine sump is
                  drained and the oil poured back into the oil tank, is that correct?
                  Does this fully drain the sump or is there a tube connected to the
                  drain cock in side the sump so that sufficient oil remains for splash
                  lubrication of the bearings?

                  I assume that the transmission oil is in a separate sump and it is not
                  drained with the engine sump

                  I have the original Maxwell Messenger identification plate but it has
                  not been re-fitted. There are 2 holes that have been filled and
                  painted over on the front panel under the seat which match the holes
                  on the plate. Can someone confirm that this is the correct location
                  for the plate.

                  David McCredie - Australia
                • mccrediedavid
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
                    The keyed connection of the drive shaft to the front universal joint on my 2 cylinder has a small amount of clearance. There is no visible wear on either keyway and the 1/4" key is .002" undersize. I replaced the key with a new one that is about .001" oversize and there is still a little radial play. This is the sliding joint so some clearance is necessary.
                    Re-cutting the keyways and making an oversize key would improve it further but I am wondering whether this is necessary.
                    Is this a joint that is prone to failure such as shearing of the key or is a little clearance acceptable?
                    David McCredie
                    Australia
                  • THOMAS REESE

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
                        Hi Tom, Thanks for that, it is exactly the feed back I was looking for,
                        I will leave it as it is.

                        David McCredie
                        Australia
                        --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS REESE <twrcars@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi David.
                        > In my experience, having restored and/or owned 7 Maxwells, you have
                        > over-fit it already. They are very forgiving. Factory fit-ups were
                        > far from precise. I have never sheared any pin or key anywhere in
                        > thousands of miles of operation.
                        >
                        > Tom Reese
                        > LC & GA
                        > On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:58 PM, mccrediedavid wrote:
                        >
                        > > The keyed connection of the drive shaft to the front universal joint
                        > > on my 2 cylinder has a small amount of clearance. There is no
                        > > visible wear on either keyway and the 1/4" key is .002" undersize. I
                        > > replaced the key with a new one that is about .001" oversize and
                        > > there is still a little radial play. This is the sliding joint so
                        > > some clearance is necessary.
                        > > Re-cutting the keyways and making an oversize key would improve it
                        > > further but I am wondering whether this is necessary.
                        > > Is this a joint that is prone to failure such as shearing of the key
                        > > or is a little clearance acceptable?
                        > > David McCredie
                        > > Australia

                      • FrankC1909LD
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 9, 2011
                          Hi BJ
                          I have recently joined the group after my wife Adrienne bought an LD Runabout, VIN LD9024.

                          I am interested to know how the battery was secured under the driver's seat. I have bought a 6 volt 4.5 amp-hour lead acid, low maintenance battery for this duty.
                          Also, what is the specification of the linoleum on the floor. The forum refers to it as battleship linoleum.

                          Frank Cerutti
                          LD9024