Maxwell AA Carburator

  • JIm Dix
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5 6:05 AM
      The engine would not idle down was racing all the time so I had the
      shafts rebushed, they were loose, .020+ clearance.

      Got it back yesterday and it idles down very nicely, however I'm back
      where I was when I first got the car, no power and no throttle
      response. I got out of this situation when I first got the car but
      I'm having trouble getting back.

      Using the reprint of the '09 owners book I have adjusted the needle
      valve so it runs smoothly. It's less than 1/4 turn open. The air
      mixture is adjusted with the screw near the back of slot (clockwise)
      in the steel quadrant. I have a #10 washer under the screw head and
      the slot is just peaking out at the back. This seems more sensitive
      than before as it should be with the extra air not leaking past the
      shafts. Before rebushing the shafts the needle valve was further open
      and the air adjustment was more centered in the slot.

      The carb seems to be running very lean, I can adjust the mixture in
      the shop, can get good throttle response under no load but when I try
      to drive it it stalls when the load is applied. Opening the needle
      valve makes it harder to start.

      Without removing the carb again, does moving the screw back
      (clockwise) make the mixture richer or leaner?

      Like I said I was here before, when I first got the car. There was /
      is a happy medium between idling and running on the road. I just have
      not gotten it yet.

      Any advice? No, I'm not changing the carb to a B&S.

      Thanx, Jim
    • Doris & Vern Campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5 7:05 AM
        Hello Jim:
        A solution I have found on the carb is to make a new needle valve. I
        have made some with a 12 degree taper (like the Holly carb used) and it is
        much less sensitive, and the engine will idle, and also give a good response
        to higher speed. This is not all that usually needs to be done, but it is a
        good start. I have made up some of these and have them for sale.
        At the Maxwell Centennial Tour I will be offering a seminar on "Learning
        to Love the Maxwell Carburetor." If I can be of any help before then, let
        me know.
        Vern

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • JIm Dix
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5 7:47 AM
          Vern,
          I can understand how the sharper taper would allow the adjustment to
          be less sensitive, I spent 20 years fighting the same issue with gas
          burners at Corning Inc., people trying to use shut off valves for
          control, but how would that give better response?
          What else do you recommend?
          Jim

          --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Doris & Vern Campbell"

        • Doris & Vern Campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6 7:22 PM
            Jim:
            I sell the needle valves for $35.00.
            The response is better (not perfect) because you can set the needle
            valve for the proper mixture. Therefore the engine does starve or get
            flooded when the gas valve is opened.

            <dvcampbell@t...> wrote:
            > Hello Jim:
            > A solution I have found on the carb is to make a new needle
            valve. I
            > have made some with a 12 degree taper (like the Holly carb used)
            and it is
            > much less sensitive, and the engine will idle, and also give a good
            response
            > to higher speed. This is not all that usually needs to be done,
            but it is a
            > good start. I have made up some of these and have them for sale.
            > At the Maxwell Centennial Tour I will be offering a seminar
            on "Learning
            > to Love the Maxwell Carburetor." If I can be of any help before
            then, let
            > me know.
            > Vern

            Yahoo! Groups Links