FW: Information Needed

  • Bill Lorenzen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007

      From: Bill Lorenzen
      Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 2:45 PM
      To: 'maxwellbriscoowners@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: Information Needed

      What Oil or grease should be used in the Firewall drip tank, transmission and rear end on my 1912 2 cylinder messenger Model AB runabout. We are to the point to attempt to start the car and this is the critical information so we don’t damage the engine upon start up.

      Please let me know the proper weight of oil or grease for the engine transmission and rear end and what brand you would recommend.

      Thanks

      Bill Lorenzen

    • gwhouse2@ev1.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2007
        Bill,     I use 30 W detergent oil in the transmission and brass firewall reservoir for my '10 AA. I think I use 90 W - 120 W in the rear end. Good luck on your start-up . . .. . .george

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2007
          Hi Bill, In my experience, the grade of engine oil doesn't make a
          whole lot of difference. How much your car throws out and drips might
          influence your decision. For the engine, you might want to use a
          straight 30 to 50. I steer clear of the multi-grades. I use APG 250 in
          my differential. It is a clear, closed gear box oil made by
          Lubriplate. Some use "600w" Model T rear end oil. This would work OK
          I suppose, but it is black. All these things leak and black makes a
          mess.

          Tom Reese

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2007
            Bill....On the west coast we tend to use 20-50 oil in our engines and drip tank. Viscosity has better hang time. Trans. and rear ends get the same - 90 W.

            Rich Anderson206-240-9434

            To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
            From: billlorenzen@...
            Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:49:16 -0700

            What Oil or grease should be used in the Firewall drip tank, transmission and rear end on my 1912 2 cylinder messenger Model AB runabout. We are to the point to attempt to start the car and this is the critical information so we don’t damage the engine upon start up.

            Please let me know the proper weight of oil or grease for the engine transmission and rear end and what brand you would recommend.

            Thanks

            Bill Lorenzen

            Change is good. See what’s different about Windows Live Hotmail. Check it out!