Splitorf Coil for AA

  • awentsbury@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 15, 2007
      Hi ,
      I left my ignition turned on and may have nackered the coil  on my AA , I do not understand how the coil works , and what  makes the 2 plugs spark at different times,
      the coil has two leads in and 2 HT leads to the plugs .
      on the top of the coil is a round cap that i can not get off , it looks brittle , there is a hole in the top and you can see two brass scews  inside , should there be a bit of fuse wire between these two screws ?
      How easy is it to obtain a coil for a 2 cylinder maxwell . could I convert it to a trembler coil , I understand how a trembler works on a single cylinder but not on a 2 cylinder .
      I can not get a spark from the magneto so i am a bit stuffed at the moment.
      any idea`s .
      you can see the photo of the coil  at  http://uk.msnusers.com/iankerr/shoebox.msnw

      Thanks in anticipation.

      ian kerr , Birmingham  , uk .  awentsbury@...
       0780390766

    • Merle
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15, 2007
        Ian- I think I mentioned before that the coil was one of the few wrong things on that very original car. I have the correct coil available all refurbished and new windings ready to hang on the 10 AA. That was the only year they used that particular Splitdorf coil. Merle   msimonsma@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 16, 2007
            Ian--The coil fires both plugs simultaneously (one plug is connected
            to one end of the secondary winding, the other the opposite end). The
            plugs fire when the points on the magneto open, collapsing the
            magnetic field generated by power to the primary winding on the coil
            controlled by the points. Only the cylinder under compression should
            fire, the other being empty. It is all similar to standard
            coil-battery ignition, especially as seen on two-cylinder motorcycles.
            I assume the magneto itself can provide power to the coil, however I
            have not run my AB on magneto.
            If your coil is cooked, you can clean out the guts and replace them
            with a contemporary 6 volt two-cylinder motorcycle coil. It might fit
            right in your old container. However, as Merle says, the present
            container is not original. You need to include a condenser across the
            points or they will burn out. If you wish, I can post a general
            Splitdorf circuit pattern on my site, www.maxwell-messenger.info,
            which you could download.
          • Vern Campbell
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 16, 2007
              Ian:
                  What Chuck and Merle have told you is correct.  It is a twin coil system, and both plugs do fire at the same time, and on every revolution of the engine.  That means it fires on the exhaust and well as the compression stroke.  The magnet9o

                    Sorry the last email got sent before I was finished.  The magneto at best will put out only 6 volts, so you will not notice much of any spark until it has gone through the coil.  There probably is no fix to the coil you have even if you could get the cap off.  The coil you have can be replaced with a modern motorcycle coil, and that is what frequently is done.  The same coil can be put into an original Splitdorf box, and I think that is what Merle is offering.  That would be the most painless way to fix it, and you are then also back to the original set up.
                    Vern Campbell

                  Ian--You can find a wiring diagram for your car on Google Books:
                  Search for Splitdorf Model H or G. This link might work:
                  http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC02848193&id=BtYbqYNbg0QC&pg=RA9-PA926&lpg=RA9-PA926&dq=splitdorf+model+g+magneto
                • S ATHERTON

                    • awentsbury@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 21, 2007

                        Snap !!  Sean ,  I have been playing Maxwells today , took it for an MOT Test on the trailor as it is not registered yet , it was a bit difficult to start at the mot station but the guy said it does not need to run as the emissions do not need to be tested , we pushed it on the ramp and it flew though the test , he did not bother to test the brakes , it did start up on the ramp and I took it for a short run, they do fairly well in top gear .
                        I  blew my coil up and am now runing on a citroen 2 cv coil for the time being , I hope to fix my splitdort coil some time , when the wife is out I plan to stick it in the oven and melt the wax like material inside the coil , with luck  i may be able to find the break in the wire , i think it is the HTcoil wire so this may be difficult.
                        I have added a condenser and now am getting a good spark and it is starting much better.
                        I am very impressed with all the help and advice that I have received from the Maxwell group , I had no idea what to do with the coil till I had the advice , i suppose most things are simple to fix when you know how to do things,
                        I have still not managed to find a wiring diagram for the coil that i have , picture to be seen at  http://uk.msnusers.com/iankerr  , it has this dome on the top with 2 brass screws in it  , my copy of Dykes has let me down on this one and i thought the book covered everthing you could think , I did find a diagram of a Splitdorf Model  D but this is not the same as mine.
                        thanks again to the group for all the help , perhaps someone out there has a wiring diaram for me !! .
                        all the best .
                        Ian Kerr Birmingham , uk , 1910 Maxwell AA

                        In a message dated 21/04/2007 21:14:42 GMT Daylight Time, atherton459@... writes:
                        Dear Ian  took my Maxwell out today , pushed the lever fully forward, its a fast littel car for its age , we think its speed to be 38 to 40 , is this normal for cars this age , l would say its as fast as early Austin 7s  , a bit hairy at that speed  when your so high up , the other thing is brakes work very well , better than A7s ever did , all in all its  clever littel car Mr Maxwell made good bit of Scots engineering      yours sean