HCCA One-and Two-Cylinder Tour

  • Gil Fitzhugh
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
      If you have a two-cylinder Maxwell and would like to give it some
      exercise, here is an invitation. I am the tourmaster of this year's
      HCCA national 1&2 cylinder tour, which will be held Auugust 20-24 on
      scenic rural roads in New Jersey (yes, we have such roads in New
      Jersey!) If you will reply to me at oldcarfudd@aolcom, or via this
      forum, I'll send you a more detailed brochure, a registration form, and
      an application to join HCCA if you're not already a member.
    • Sanford Sears
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
        Possibly one of our group would be able to give advice or steer me in the right direction.

        I am currently looking at a restored 1909 LD to purchase.  My father Stuart owned for years a 1907 LH and then  sadly let it go.  The owner of the LD has the correct Maxwell carburetor on board, Steve Bono pronounced it a good one, but it has always plagued the owners car performance.  He was thinking about replacing it with a Model T carburetor.  Ideas, thoughts comments?

        Also the car has headlights but no forks to attach, ideas on where to get forks?

        Thank you,
        Father Sanford R. Sears

      • Vern Campbell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
          Hello:
              The Maxwell Carburetor does have some problems, which is the bad news.  The good news is it can be made to perform just as good as the Model T carburetor.  All of the needed changes are internal, and cannot be seen when the carburetor is on the car.
              Vern Campbell
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
            Regarding the carburetor, both on this site (under Files) and on my
            site (www.maxwell-messenger.info)is a file by Tim Simonsma detailing
            the adjustment of the carb. Also, I understand that soon more
            information will be published on modifications that can be made to
            improve the performance of the device. While my car did not come with
            an original carb, many people who have them are not sorry.
          • David Young
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
              And, Vernos can make them perform better than new.

              On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Vern Campbell wrote:

              > Hello:
              > The Maxwell Carburetor does have some problems, which is the bad news.
              > The good news is it can be made to perform just as good as the Model T
              > carburetor. All of the needed changes are internal, and cannot be seen when
              > the carburetor is on the car.
              > Vern Campbell

            • maxwellwest2
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, David Young
                <dbyoung@...> wrote:

                > And, Vernos can make them perform better than new.
                >
                > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Vern Campbell wrote:
                >
                > > Hello:
                > > The Maxwell Carburetor does have some problems, which is the
                bad news.
                > > The good news is it can be made to perform just as good as the
                Model T
                > > carburetor. All of the needed changes are internal, and cannot
                be seen when
                > > the carburetor is on the car.
                > > Vern Campbell

                forks for the LD. Drop me an email note at msimonsma@...
                Merle

              • Tim
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                  Hello
                  that the stock Maxwell carburetor performance is less than perfect.
                  It starts off with a float and needle valve issue that has a tendency
                  to leak when it should be shutting off the fuel. The high speed
                  operation of the carburetor is good however the lack of a good low
                  speed idle circuit has a tendency to make the carburetor run a very
                  rich fuel mixture which in turn fouls the spark plugs over time. The
                  Model T carburetor and other after market carburetors can certainly
                  correct these issues.
                  Over the last 3 months I have been working with Vern Campbell on
                  modifying stock Maxwell carburetors. I have designed a needle valve
                  and float assembly that fits into the existing Maxwell carburetor
                  float chamber. I also have modified the internal parts of the
                  carburetor creating a complete and separate idle system which meters
                  out the fuel at a very predictable rate. These carburetors have been
                  able to idle for 2 plus hours without any signs of spark plug
                  fowling. I currently have only about 8 carburetors on different cars
                  in a testing condition. As you can see this is a brand new endeavor
                  and I do not have extensive testing throughout the Maxwell
                  population. It is my feeling that the modifications made will
                  greatly enhance the performance of the stock Maxwell carburetor. It
                  would be my recommendation if you have the opportunity to acquire a
                  Maxwell carburetor at this time that you should do so. They are
                  relatively inexpensive at this time as most people believe they do
                  not work very well. I am confident after testing is done the demand
                  for Maxwell carburetors will increase in value. I have sent Vern
                  Campbell drawings and a parts list along with a brief description on
                  the modifications I have made along with a test carburetor for his
                  evaluation. I am confident as soon as the snow melts and cars start
                  to run, our test results will be coming in. It is my desire to make
                  available to everyone a complete description and procedures on how to
                  modify your stock Maxwell carburetor. For owners not interested in
                  manufacturing the fuel float assemble or modifying the carburetor,
                  Vern Campbell will gladly provide you with the parts and /or install
                  the modifications.
                  For information on the availability of your headlight forks and
                  pockets I would contact my dad, Merle Simonsma at
                  Msimonsma@...
                  If you have more questions you may contact Vern Campbell at
                  dvcampbell@..., or me Tim Simonsma at tsimonsma@...
                  Good Luck!
                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2007
                    Hi Tony

                    The carburetor modifications I have been describing are for both
                    sizes of the 2 cylinder Maxwell cars. I have not had the oportunity
                    to work on the Maxwell 4 cylinder carburetors as of yet. I can offer
                    no information at this time.

                    I believe you are correct my grandparents came from Holland but I am
                    not sure what area. Will have to ask dad.

                    Chuck Richardson at http://www.maxwell-
                    messenger.info/Articles/t_simonsma/index.htm

                    has just posted some pictures of my 1911 AB along with my wife
                    Barbara and parents Betty and Merle.

                    From Sunny Sacramento, California
                    Tim Simosnma
                    --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tsimonsma@...>