Splitdorf Coil Box

  • tcthoburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
      I need help with a coil box. I get current into it but no vibrating
      and no current out. Any suggestions on sources?
    • Thomas Reese
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
        HI, If it is truly dead, replace with a Model T coil, I believe it
        will fit within the box OK.

        Tom Reese
        On Dec 4, 2006, at 12:02 PM, tcthoburn wrote:

        I need help with a coil box. I get current into it but no vibrating
        and no current out. Any suggestions on sources?
      • microplay_charlie
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
          You might try R.V. Anderson Antique Auto Engineering. Check out his
          website http://rvmodelt.com/ .
          He rebuilt the original coils in my 2 cylinder REO and did an
          excellent job. The coils weren't away very long either and not too
          expensive.

          Charlie Tosch
          Brandon, Manitoba

          --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "tcthoburn" <thoburn@...>
          wrote:

          > I need help with a coil box. I get current into it but no vibrating
          > and no current out. Any suggestions on sources?

        • Jim Dix
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
            I guess my first question is, are they vibrator coils?
            The ones on my AA is not. It's a single input coil with two outputs.  Similar ones are found on Harley Davidson motorcycles and Onan generators. Sometimes called a wasted spark because the coil fires every revolution. The output should be only short output when given a short input.
            Merle Simonsma rebuilt mine.
            Being a T guy too, I do miss the buzz, but it works!
            Jim

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
              Hi. I guess I'm not really sure how to figure out if it really is
              dead. It makes no sense to me that just sitting would kill it. How do
              you trouble-shoot these things? I can find literature on how to adjust
              the vibrators, but that doesn't help me.
            • JIm Dix
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Hi Jim. They are clearly vibrator coils and they go on my '05 L. They
                  were working last summer (2005), but not since. They buzzed
                  appropriately in times past, but no longer.

                  --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Dix" <jdix6@...> wrote:

                  > I guess my first question is, are they vibrator coils?
                  > The ones on my AA is not. It's a single input coil with two outputs.
                  Similar ones are found on Harley Davidson motorcycles and Onan
                  generators. Sometimes called a wasted spark because the coil fires
                  every revolution. The output should be only short output when given a
                  short input.
                  > Merle Simonsma rebuilt mine.
                  > Being a T guy too, I do miss the buzz, but it works!
                  > Jim

                • DAVID MARSHALL
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Hi
                    Points stuck ?
                    Proper gap between points ? Not oxidized or pitted, try a points file.
                    Good ground ?
                    Contacts clean, ie has the box been varnished etc that may have insulated the contacts ?
                    My Splitdorf's (on a REO)have a finger adjustment on top, I started mine with the points fully contacted,and then counted the clicks and backed off the adjustment until they stopped, and then use the middle setting as nominal to start, add a few clicks for hard starting or pulling a hill, lay off a few clicks for cruising. ( I think they did this in the old days to save the juice in the dry cells) It's not neccesary to adjust them all the time on the run, but it is something else to play with........
                    For re-build try RV Anderson at; rvmodelt@...
                    Dave in Wichita

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Thanks to all who are responding. The points are not stuck. As I click
                      the adjusting wheels I can see them separate or come together
                      (depending on direction). I have cleaned them. I have taken the coil
                      box off the car and created a direct, complete current straight from
                      the battery and back again. Still no vibrating and no current through.
                      I am at a loss, particularly since there had been no activity to
                      change anything (other than just sitting in a garage. Thanks again for
                      answering my pitiful plea.

                      --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, DAVID MARSHALL