Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Carburator

  • sheila robinson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
      Dear J0hn :  I have had good results with Zenith side draft  model 1408 you do not need to make up any special adaptor  to the stock manifold.  the centers on the
      carb are designed for 2 1/4 to 2 3/8 hole centers. The carb. is fully adjustable,  It is no longer availab,e from zenieth but check with onan corp. used on thier power generators as there part number 141-0929.  You will have to do some modifucations to the throttle and choke levers to match the maxwell.

      vicarslament <John4778@...> wrote:
      Hello, I am Diving into the AA fuel system and I want to replace the
      cute but quirky Maxwell carb with a Kohler unit, I am in the process
      of fabricating a manifold, any thoughts on the carb itself. I am
      looking at a 16HP Single Cyl unit. It should give me the latitude I
      need to keep the little bugger Idling for mor than 42seconds with out
      John

    • maxwellwest2
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
        We use the Onan carb 146-0456 on six of our two cylinder Maxwells. Jim
        Moe did the throttle modifications. I still have two of the cars so I
        tried to vote twice. I dont think it worked. Merle Simonsma
      • Richard Anderson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
          Rich Anderson
          206-240-9434

          I have a new Onan carb that I would like to sell....anyone interested
          ?...Rich Anderson

          >From: "maxwellwest2" <msimonsma@...>
          >To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Carburetor
          >Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 02:12:21 -0000
          >
          >We use the Onan carb 146-0456 on six of our two cylinder Maxwells. Jim
          >Moe did the throttle modifications. I still have two of the cars so I
          >tried to vote twice. I dont think it worked. Merle Simonsma

        • joe robinson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
            --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Anderson"
            <rvanderson5@...> wrote:

            > Rich Anderson
            > 206-240-9434
            >
            > Rich how much do you want for the onan carb
            Joe

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2006
              Joe...I believe I paid $275 for it and only used it for about 100 miles. I
              had it on a big-2 cyl Maxwell and it didn't perform .....its really made for
              a smaller 2 cyl car. I'd take $125 + shipping....Rich

              Rich Anderson
              206-240-9434

              >From: "joe robinson" <sheilarobin1@...>
              >To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Carburetor
              >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:08:42 -0000
              >
              >--- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Anderson"
              ><rvanderson5@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Rich Anderson
              > > 206-240-9434
              > >
              > > Rich how much do you want for the onan carb
              >Joe
              > > I have a new Onan carb that I would like to sell....anyone
              >interested
              > > ?...Rich Anderson
              > >
              > > >From: "maxwellwest2" <msimonsma@...>
              > > >To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Carburetor
              > > >Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 02:12:21 -0000
              > > >
              > > >We use the Onan carb 146-0456 on six of our two cylinder
              >Maxwells. Jim
              > > >Moe did the throttle modifications. I still have two of the cars
              >so I
              > > >tried to vote twice. I dont think it worked. Merle Simonsma

            • mccrediedavid
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 21, 2010
                I would appreciate some feedback on the type of carburetor that works best on the 2 cylinder Maxwells. Any comments would be welcome.
                David McCredie Australia
              • george house
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 27, 2010

                  The original, of course. The brass "2 barrel" revolving cylinder type. I say this from experience because I tried to use a Model T Ford NH carb on my '10 AA for nearly 2 decades. The engine died at stop signs if I didn't goose the gas and it loped on straight-aways. And old man on a tour one day told me I was trying to use a carburetor designed for a car with twice the cylinders and nearly twice the HP. Then I found, on the HCCA website, an original - from your continent!!! Probably a month after paying for it, I received an original from NSW. The cork float was toast but I rigged a Briggs-Stratton metal float onto it and received a huge increase in performance and enjoyment for my efforts. A fellow is reproducing these original Maxwell carbs but when I changed out computers, I lost his contact information.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 27, 2010

                    David,

                         I have an 07 RL...I do have an original carb.    which works... well kinda....

                    Years ago I installed a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower carb. from a 10hp mower..

                    Works like a charm...now I'm sure the true purests are gong to go in a corner

                    and vomit....but Hey...it works and very few people ever noticed...even at the

                    centenial in Indiana...did the whole tour with nary a problem...and among all the

                    people only two asked about the carb....so unless you are really hung up on originality

                    try a lawnmower carb...at least it will allow you to eliminate any other maladies...

                    oh ,,, and forget the T carbs....just will not work on the 2 cyl..

                         Enjoy,

                                  Dick

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 27, 2010

                      Thanks for the comments, hopefully there will be some more.

                      I can’t help wondering how these cars would perform if they didn’t have that long inlet manifold preventing the cylinders from getting a decent charge of fuel.  Has anyone tried fitting a separate carburetor at each cylinder?  I like to keep them original but I am curious.

                      David McCredie

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 27, 2010
                        HI All,  I don't know how they do it, but they do, and very well.  With its rebuilt original carb, my LC will start, predictably, on the first pull of the crank.  It will idle and run beautifully, no choke, no cold running adjustments.  Now tell me how the engine can possibly get oil from a cup or so in the dip area, with no pump and no dippers.  It just does.  That was the mastery of Jonathan Maxwell's engineering genius, and is an explanation of why the cars went down hill after he left the company and the auto world.

                        Tom Reese

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                          Hello David and others:
                              From the pictures you have sent me, you do have the original carb. It does look to be in need of some restoring.  My experience with the original carb is if it is restored to original specifications it will work just fine.  As carbs go it does have its limitations. Any modern carb will have an idle jet as well as the high speed jet.  That can make a big time difference.  My suggestion is to re-build the original carb and try it.  If it is acceptable, run it.  If not then work on some other carburetion.  Let us also remember that the carb is only one piece in getting the maximum out the engine.
                              And the discussion go on and on and on.  Vern Campbell

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010

                            I have the original carb on my 09 LD, and it works just fine.  I start it with a rich mixture, and lean it out when it warms up.  It does tend to load up when idling for even a short period of time, but opening the throttle a little clears that out.  A little adjustment could probably solve that problem too, but I’m hesitant to mess with it, since it does do quite well as is, and I’m familiar with its current idiosyncrasies.

                            Keep it original whenever possible.  To me, originality is worth a little inconvenience.

                            Mel McDonald

                            Dallas, TX

                             ___

                          • DAVID MARSHALL
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                              Hi
                              With regard to the "loading up"  the 2 cyl REO's with the long intake manifolds did the same thing, so they added a very small drill hole on the bottom of the pipe at the low spot close to the cylinder.  We checked a local 2 cyl Maxwell and it felt like it had a small bump, like a solder spot on the bottom of the intake pipe where someone had "fixed" the hole. Might be worth a try/look......
                              Dave in Wichita

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                                I have some Maxwell components that could be for sale after confirming some numbers.  I purchased  a shortened frame (cut off behind the front seat) with a good compression 4 cylinder engine mounted on it including a carb, magneto, primer cups, radiatior, steering column, front axle and front hubs, cone clutch and transmission.
                                The engine block has number 10168 stamped on it and the radiator carries a number of 11895.  I believe that it is 1914 but would like to confirm that information.  What model and HP is this from?
                                Ron Davis, Cobleskill, NY   518-234-7495

                                To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
                                From: dvcampbell@...
                                Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:43:04 -0500

                                Hello David and others:
                                    From the pictures you have sent me, you do have the original carb. It does look to be in need of some restoring.  My experience with the original carb is if it is restored to original specifications it will work just fine.  As carbs go it does have its limitations. Any modern carb will have an idle jet as well as the high speed jet.  That can make a big time difference.  My suggestion is to re-build the original carb and try it.  If it is acceptable, run it.  If not then work on some other carburetion.  Let us also remember that the carb is only one piece in getting the maximum out the engine.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010

                                  Thanks to all who responded to my request for advice on the best carburetor for the 2 cyl. Maxwell.  Based on the replies I will now fit the original carburetor that came with the car in a box, (with advice to leave it there).  I am sure that with Vern’s help we can get it working.  It would be good to keep the car original.  If I can get it running and starting well then the starter/generator that it came with can be removed and the car will be 100% original.

                                  David McCredie

                                  Australia

                                  To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: dvcampbell@...