oil siphoning

  • Paul Jacobson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2003
      Can anyone tell me how to prevent siphoning of the oil from the
      supply tank to the crankcase in my 2 cylinder HC Maxwell? Paul
    • JIm Dix
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2003
        Paul,
        Tim Simonsma wrote a great desertation (sp?) on oiling in Message #
        13 a while back. His using a small drilled hole in the oil tank cap
        seems like a good idea. The compression from the crankcase keeps
        pressure in the tank while the motor is running, then the pressure
        releases thru the small hole when it stops. Sounds good to me if you
        can bring yourself to drill a hole in the cap. But will it stop the
        tank from draining over time?
        I've heard of folks putting a valve in the line that is turned off
        when the car is stopped then, hopefully, turned back on before you
        start out again.
        My "trick" is to release the pressure in the tank by opening the cap
        when I stop, but the tank will be empty come spring.
        Just one of the quirks of the cars!
        Jim

        -- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Jacobson"