AB Engine Problem

  • Slatford
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013

      Hi

      I have a 1911 Maxwell AB, it was mostly restored in Virginia before importing into the UK and is now being completed. I am however having a problem that I am not sure how to fix. After travelling a few miles in 2nd gear the engine starts to shake badly, once stopped the engine is then extremely difficult to turn over but once you have managed to turn it over it then starts again OK until the next time it starts to shake. Has anyone any ideas?

    • AOL Inc.©
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013

        iced up carb , ?  the fuel pipe better if 10 mm gives better flow

        I have a 1911 Maxwell AB, it was mostly restored in Virginia before importing into the UK and is now being completed. I am however having a problem that I am not sure how to fix. After travelling a few miles in 2nd gear the engine starts to shake badly, once stopped the engine is then extremely difficult to turn over but once you have managed to turn it over it then starts again OK until the next time it starts to shake. Has anyone any ideas?

      • Joe Goss
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013
          It sounds like it may be the piston to cylinder wall clearance is not enough and when running the piston is expanding to make the clearance too small. This normally begins to transfer piston material at all four corners (each side of pin bores, because it is thicker there) to the liner. If that is the case, the normal cure is to clean up the transferred material and hone a little more clearance . Joe Goss

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 10, 2013, at 6:06 AM, "Slatford" <nigel@...> wrote:

          Hi

          I have a 1911 Maxwell AB, it was mostly restored in Virginia before importing into the UK and is now being completed. I am however having a problem that I am not sure how to fix. After travelling a few miles in 2nd gear the engine starts to shake badly, once stopped the engine is then extremely difficult to turn over but once you have managed to turn it over it then starts again OK until the next time it starts to shake. Has anyone any ideas?

        • David
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013
            I agree with Joe, it sounds as though the engine is virtually siezing, those large pistons need .006" clearance and some engine reconditioners may not allow this much.
            Are the oil drippers operating OK?
            If it were mine I would strip the engine before starting it again to avoid any further damage. David McCredie

            --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, Joe Goss wrote:

            > It sounds like it may be the piston to cylinder wall clearance is not enough and when running the piston is expanding to make the clearance too small. This normally begins to transfer piston material at all four corners (each side of pin bores, because it is thicker there) to the liner. If that is the case, the normal cure is to clean up the transferred material and hone a little more clearance . Joe Goss
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Feb 10, 2013, at 6:06 AM, "Slatford" wrote:
            >
            > > Hi
            > >

            > > I have a 1911 Maxwell AB, it was mostly restored in Virginia before importing into the UK and is now being completed. I am however having a problem that I am not sure how to fix. After travelling a few miles in 2nd gear the engine starts to shake badly, once stopped the engine is then extremely difficult to turn over but once you have managed to turn it over it then starts again OK until the next time it starts to shake. Has anyone any ideas?

          • Howard Hodson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013

              And check the rear axle for proper lubrication and set up.

              Howard Hodson

              Cambridge UK

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013

                Hi

                Thanks for your reply. You may be right but I can drive the car round for ages in first gear without the problem occurring.

                Regards

                Nigel

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013
                  Nigel, So it only happens in direct drive not is first gear, I have not experienced that but I wonder if your first gear band is too tight and not releasing fully when you engage 2nd gear. This could overheat and expand the first gear drum causing increasing drag as you drive. You could try backing off the first gear adjustment a little. Not sure it fits the symptoms exactly but easy to check.
                  David