Was the 1909 LD Maxwell two tone?

  • FrankC1909LD
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
      In his book "Maxwell-Briscoe, The cars, the company" James Zordich records that the LD Maxwell came in colours of Maxwell Green or Speedster Red.

      Excavating for colours on LD9024 I have found a coat of green under the present top coat of black. Clearly the car has been repainted sometime during its life.

      However the green coat is not present on the chassis, on the suspension, on the mudguards (fenders) and on the valences. Either someone did a very thorough repaint in the past, removing green from these areas, or the car came with black mudguards and below.

      Also on our car the green on the wheels is over a coat of red. Were red wheels on a green car an option or do the wheels on our car come from the remnants of a red car and repainted?

      Can anyone verify if the LD range was painted green over black (maybe red was the same) or should the car be the single colour of green.

      Frank Cerutti
      1909 LD9024
      Townsville, Australia
    • Andy Blake
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
        Frank, according to orig Maxwell lit for '09, all 2cyl cars, the chassis were all red with a choice of either red or green for the body. Fenders were black.

        Andy Blake
        , LD7900

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
          Hello Andy, thank you for your reply. I found it most informative.

          Will you put a scan of this literature up on the forum for me. I try to collect such information during a restoration.

          Regards

          Frank Cerutti
          1909 LD9024
          Townsville, Australia

          --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, Andy Blake <carole.vette@...> wrote:

          > Frank, according to orig Maxwell lit for '09, all 2cyl cars, the chassis were all red with a choice of either red or green for the body. Fenders were black.
          >
          > Andy Blake
          > , LD7900
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Oct 4, 2011, at 5:01 AM, "FrankC1909LD" <cerutfa@...> wrote:
          >
          > > In his book "Maxwell-Briscoe, The cars, the company" James Zordich records that the LD Maxwell came in colours of Maxwell Green or Speedster Red.
          > >
          > > Excavating for colours on LD9024 I have found a coat of green under the present top coat of black. Clearly the car has been repainted sometime during its life.
          > >
          > > However the green coat is not present on the chassis, on the suspension, on the mudguards (fenders) and on the valences. Either someone did a very thorough repaint in the past, removing green from these areas, or the car came with black mudguards and below.
          > >
          > > Also on our car the green on the wheels is over a coat of red. Were red wheels on a green car an option or do the wheels on our car come from the remnants of a red car and repainted?
          > >
          > > Can anyone verify if the LD range was painted green over black (maybe red was the same) or should the car be the single colour of green.
          > >
          > > Frank Cerutti
          > > 1909 LD9024
          > > Townsville, Australia

        • Carole Blake
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
            Hi Frank,

            Being new to this group, I have no clue how to post to the fourm. Plus I do not have the capability to scan an item. I will try to scan and send directly to you the info from my work. I won't be able to access the group from work. It may be awhile also but will try to do it soon than later. My wife is going thru treatment for Breast Cancer right now and my focus is nore on her health than anything.

            Andy

            Hello Andy, thank you for your reply. I found it most informative.

            Will you put a scan of this literature up on the forum for me. I try to collect such information during a restoration.

            Regards

            Frank Cerutti
            1909 LD9024
            Townsville, Australia

            --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, Andy Blake <carole.vette@...> wrote:

            > Frank, according to orig Maxwell lit for '09, all 2cyl cars, the chassis were all red with a choice of either red or green for the body. Fenders were black.
            >
            > Andy Blake
            > , LD7900
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Oct 4, 2011, at 5:01 AM, "FrankC1909LD" <cerutfa@...> wrote:
            >
            > > In his book "Maxwell-Briscoe, The cars, the company" James Zordich records that the LD Maxwell came in colours of Maxwell Green or Speedster Red.
            > >
            > > Excavating for colours on LD9024 I have found a coat of green under the present top coat of black. Clearly the car has been repainted sometime during its life.
            > >
            > > However the green coat is not present on the chassis, on the suspension, on the mudguards (fenders) and on the valences. Either someone did a very thorough repaint in the past, removing green from these areas, or the car came with black mudguards and below.
            > >
            > > Also on our car the green on the wheels is over a coat of red. Were red wheels on a green car an option or do the wheels on our car come from the remnants of a red car and repainted?
            > >
            > > Can anyone verify if the LD range was painted green over black (maybe red was the same) or should the car be the single colour of green.
            > >
            > > Frank Cerutti
            > > 1909 LD9024
            > > Townsville, Australia

          • Frank Cerutti
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2011
            Hello Andy. We hope you and Carole are in good spirits.

            I am pressing on with the restoration of LD9024

            I have done a little more paint excavation which I have documented in pictures.
            315 - shows a patch of green I excavated on the boot (trunk) lid.
            316 - shows the colour match on a test panel from the paint shop. I am using a two-pack paint by DeBeers.
            317 - areas of green on the chassis, but towards the top of the frame only
            318 - The money shot of the rear of the chassis. There is green over the full depth of the chassis frame. So it appears that on other parts of the chassis frame, the green was rubbed back prior to the coat of black being applied. However all the components that hang off the chassis frame including springs, axles, running board supports show only black. This is unusual, and I suspect were rubbed back and painted.

            I have not found green on the mudguards, which is explained by the documentation you found.

            I am so looking forward to receiving the documentation you have about LD colours.

            Regards

            Frank
            Home phone - 07 4775 7885 || Home fax - 07 4422 0034 || Home e-mail - cerutfa@...
            Work phone - 07 4727 6598 || Work fax - 07 4727 6680 || Work e-mail - frank.cerutti@...
            Mobile phone - 0417 705 309 || Mail: 22 Sabadine Street, Aitkenvale 4814, Queensland, Australia