u-joints

  • charlessorensen08lc
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 7:03 PM
      I am rebuilding a 1908 Maxwell LC. I am working on the u-joints. Everything was worn so I reground the pins, bored out the center castings, and pressed in new bronze bushings. I left about .005" material in the bushings and then honed everything to size on a Sunnen hone just to make sure the pins were aligned.
      I did not take this car apart, so I don't know how it goes back together. One u-joint center is cast iron and one is bronze does it matter which one goes to the front or to the rear? Why is one bronze and the other not.
      When I put the yokes onto the driveshaft does only one have clearance to allow the shaft to slide in and out? If only one,should the yoke with the clearance be at the front or the rear?
      Charlie Sorensen