Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive

  • Richard Anderson
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6 7:39 AM
      Hello.....we are restoring our 1909 DA to take the Alice Ramsey Centennial
      Drive in June 2009. We are looking for parts, route information, people
      interested in participating, helping out, etc. etc. Does anyone have any on
      parts. Does anyone have interest in joining us in this event, or driving
      along as we pass through your area....let us know.....Rich Anderson
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 15 , May 9 2:06 PM
        Hello Rich
        This is quite an undertaking to duplicate Alice Ramsey's of 1909 1st
        woman to cross the United States driving from New York to San
        Francisco.
        As you know one of the hardest jobs is locating a 1909 DA as there
        are only one or two known. This will require a lot of help from the
        Maxwell community in locating parts.
        Barbara and I would like to offer our support to you and anyone else
        following along and participating in this grand event. We will help
        in anyway possible from the collecting of parts, mechanic and
        restoration skills, transportation of the car from your place to New
        York and along the route to San Francisco and home again. We have a
        30 foot enclosed car trailer capable of hauling 2 cars or any
        support equipment needed to keep you and your supporters motoring
        along.
        We travel across the United States from time to time and have the
        capabilities of bringing parts back.
        Please let us know if we can help, Tim and Barbara Simonsma

        --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Anderson"
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9 10:52 PM
          Hello Tim & Barb......thanks for your offer, I am counting you in and
          planning on having you do just as you have said.....Your offer is an
          incredibly generous offer and really makes a very key piece of this project
          possible. As we talked in Indiana.....I'll plan on you to do just that. I
          hope you got to see the newly published book, and that you got some ink in
          it......I didn't expect the publisher to write that since we had not
          formally talked more about you being involved, but I do hope you plan on
          it.....definately......and am very excited about you participating. The car
          restoration is coming along quite well. Merle (Dad) has helped out a lot,
          and Tom Thoburns daughter Terry has donated an engine, so we are making
          progress.....I'll keep you informed as we go along. If you find yourself
          near Hershey PA anytime this year, I have parts stored there that need to
          get back here to the west coast. (the engine and a rear end).....thank you,
          thank you for your help.....I'm convinced we are going to have the time of
          our lives on this trip......Rich (did you get the 2 cyl. Model H engine
          parts I sent with your dad ?)

          >From: "Tim" <tandbsimonsma@...>
          >To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive
          >Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 21:06:55 -0000
          >
          >Hello Rich
          >This is quite an undertaking to duplicate Alice Ramsey's of 1909 1st
          >woman to cross the United States driving from New York to San
          >Francisco.
          >As you know one of the hardest jobs is locating a 1909 DA as there
          >are only one or two known. This will require a lot of help from the
          >Maxwell community in locating parts.
          >Barbara and I would like to offer our support to you and anyone else
          >following along and participating in this grand event. We will help
          >in anyway possible from the collecting of parts, mechanic and
          >restoration skills, transportation of the car from your place to New
          >York and along the route to San Francisco and home again. We have a
          >30 foot enclosed car trailer capable of hauling 2 cars or any
          >support equipment needed to keep you and your supporters motoring
          >along.
          >We travel across the United States from time to time and have the
          >capabilities of bringing parts back.
          >Please let us know if we can help, Tim and Barbara Simonsma
          >

          >--- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Anderson"
          ><rvanderson5@h...> wrote:
          > > Hello.....we are restoring our 1909 DA to take the Alice Ramsey
          >Centennial
          > > Drive in June 2009. We are looking for parts, route information,
          >people
          > > interested in participating, helping out, etc. etc. Does anyone
          >have any on
          > > parts. Does anyone have interest in joining us in this event, or
          >driving
          > > along as we pass through your area....let us know.....Rich Anderson

        • Doris & Vern Campbell
          Message 4 of 15 , May 10 5:13 AM
            Hello Rich:
            I will certainly support this Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive in any way I
            can. We would at least join you for a leg of the journey around the Toledo
            area, maybe more.
            I was not aware that the book was out. Where is it available? I did
            have a couple of email exchanges with the author.
            I do have any parts to offer, but if you need a carburetor or Mag
            rebuilt, I can help with that.
            Keep us posted on this wonderful project.
            Vern Campbell

> [...]
            > >support equipment needed to keep you and your supporters motoring
            > >along.
            > >We travel across the United States from time to time and have the
            > >capabilities of bringing parts back.
            > >Please let us know if we can help, Tim and Barbara Simonsma
            > >

            > >--- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Anderson"
            > ><rvanderson5@h...> wrote:
            > > > Hello.....we are restoring our 1909 DA to take the Alice Ramsey
            > >Centennial
            > > > Drive in June 2009. We are looking for parts, route information,
            > >people
            > > > interested in participating, helping out, etc. etc. Does anyone
            > >have any on
            > > > parts. Does anyone have interest in joining us in this event, or
            > >driving
            > > > along as we pass through your area....let us know.....Rich Anderson

          • Richard Anderson
            Message 5 of 15 , May 11 10:07 AM
              Vern.....thanks for the offer, we may need a mag rebuilt at some point in
              the future and I'll get ahold of you. I have copies of the book. They are
              $19.95 plus shipping ($2).....if you want one let me know and I'll send it
              out.....Thanks for the support and the people you have sent out way.....this
              is a big project and I couldn't do it without a lot of great people joining
              in.....think about putting together a small tour of brass cars to join us as
              we come through your area.....2009.....Rich

            • Jim Dix
              Message 6 of 15 , May 11 11:42 AM
                Richard,
                Could you tell us a little more about the book? I'm sure the group is eagar
                to know more.
                Jim Dix
              • Doris & Vern Campbell
                Message 7 of 15 , May 11 6:57 PM
                  Hello Rich:
                  Please send me a copy of the book. I will send you a check for $22.00.
                  Many thanks.
                  Vern Campbell
                  > Vern.....thanks for the offer, we may need a mag rebuilt at some point in
                  > the future and I'll get ahold of you. I have copies of the book. They are
                  > $19.95 plus shipping ($2).....if you want one let me know and I'll send it
                  > out.....Thanks for the support and the people you have sent out
                  way.....this
                  > is a big project and I couldn't do it without a lot of great people
                  joining
                  > in.....think about putting together a small tour of brass cars to join us
                  as
                  > we come through your area.....2009.....Rich
                  >
                  > >From: "Doris & Vern Campbell" <dvcampbell@...>
                  > >To: <maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive
                  > >Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:13:25 -0400
                  > >
                  > >Hello Rich:
                  > > I will certainly support this Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive in any
                  way
                  > >can. We would at least join you for a leg of the journey around the
                  Toledo
                  > >area, maybe more.
                  > > I was not aware that the book was out. Where is it available? I
                  did
                  > >have a couple of email exchanges with the author.
                  > > I do have any parts to offer, but if you need a carburetor or Mag
                  > >rebuilt, I can help with that.
                  > > Keep us posted on this wonderful project.
                  > > Vern Campbell

                • Richard Anderson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 11 9:05 PM
                    Vern...will do.....and if anyone else wants one, they can contact
                    me....thanks..Rich

                  • Richard Anderson
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 11 9:17 PM
                      The book is called -"Alices Drive", a republishing of Alice Ramsey's
                      original book, "Veil, Duster and Tire Iron", plus an added 105 pages of
                      updated material about the route she took, the places she stayed, what they
                      look like today, and then a final chapter about our plans to do a centennial
                      drive in 2009. It was put together by Gregory Franzwa of Patrice Press, is
                      paperback and sells for $19.95. Alices original book was published in 1960
                      and is her tale, plus pictures of her drive across the USA in a 1909 Maxwell
                      DA as a publicity tour promoting Maxwell Automobiles. She became the first
                      woman to drive across the USA and therefore was a significant person in
                      automotive history. We are planning to honor her feat by doing a centennial
                      drive on the same dates and the same route as she took, but in 2009.
                      Lots of old Maxwell pictures......questions ?...Rich

                      >From: "Jim Dix" <jdix6@...>
                      >To: <maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive
                      >Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:42:12 -0400
                      >
                      >Richard,
                      >Could you tell us a little more about the book? I'm sure the group is eagar
                      >to know more.
                      >Jim Dix

                    • Richard Anderson
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 11 9:18 PM
                        Jim...sorry, I forgot to mention, I have copies of the book for sale if
                        anyone is interested. $19.95 plus $2 for s & h....Rich Anderson

                        >From: "Jim Dix" <jdix6@...>
                        >To: <maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive
                        >Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:42:12 -0400
                        >
                        >Richard,
                        >Could you tell us a little more about the book? I'm sure the group is eagar
                        >to know more.
                        >Jim Dix

                      • David Young
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 12 3:10 AM
                          Richard

                          Please send us a book as well -- and 22.00 is in the mail to you
                          at the address in the Maxwell Centennial book.

                          David B. Young
                          407 E Nicodemus Rd
                          Westminster, MD 21157

                          Dianne and I will be happy to support you in any way we can.
                          don't have any parts but perhaps help in other ways. Don't recall off
                          hand the route but would be happy to organize and/or participate the East
                          coast leg.

                          David

                          On Wed, 11 May 2005, Richard Anderson wrote:

                          > The book is called -"Alices Drive", a republishing of Alice Ramsey's
                          > original book, "Veil, Duster and Tire Iron", plus an added 105 pages of
                          > updated material about the route she took, the places she stayed, what they
                          > look like today, and then a final chapter about our plans to do a centennial
                          > drive in 2009. It was put together by Gregory Franzwa of Patrice Press, is
                          > paperback and sells for $19.95. Alices original book was published in 1960
                          > and is her tale, plus pictures of her drive across the USA in a 1909 Maxwell
                          > DA as a publicity tour promoting Maxwell Automobiles. She became the first
                          > woman to drive across the USA and therefore was a significant person in
                          > automotive history. We are planning to honor her feat by doing a centennial
                          > drive on the same dates and the same route as she took, but in 2009.
                          > Lots of old Maxwell pictures......questions ?...Rich
                          >
                          > >From: "Jim Dix" <jdix6@...>
                          > >To: <maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive
                          > >Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:42:12 -0400
                          > >
                          > >Richard,
                          > >Could you tell us a little more about the book? I'm sure the group is eagar
                          > >to know more.
                          > >Jim Dix
                          > >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • JIm Dix
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 12 4:51 AM
                            Sounds good, I'll be sending a check as well.
                            Too bad we didn't know sooner so we could have a bunch at the Brass in
                            Bucks County Flea Market on Sunday. Harold Sharon sold a bunch of his
                            new books last year there.
                            Jim.
                          • Richard Anderson
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 12 8:19 AM
                              Sorry....but I didn't know anyone there who could have sold them for
                              me.....Thanks....I'll send one off...Rich

                              >From: "JIm Dix" <jdix6@...>
                              >To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [maxwellbriscoeowners] Re: Alice Ramsey Centennial Drive
                              >Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:51:15 -0000
                              >
                              >Sounds good, I'll be sending a check as well.
                              >Too bad we didn't know sooner so we could have a bunch at the Brass in
                              >Bucks County Flea Market on Sunday. Harold Sharon sold a bunch of his
                              >new books last year there.
                              >Jim.

                            • Richard Anderson
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 12 8:23 AM
                                Thanks....we'll keep everyone posted on progress....the route is well laid
                                out in the book. Our plans are to follow it pretty closely....as is
                                practical....and do about 200 miles a day....with some days off to just
                                enjoy ourselves.....We'd love to have tours join us, regional groups
                                organize tours around our drive through your area, picnic's etc. what ever
                                creative ideas people have. We even have some people talking about driving
                                along......we'll see....but we welcome your participation.....will send the
                                book...Rich

                              • Jim Dix
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 12 8:36 AM
                                  Me!