Three Drip Oiler

  • twrcars09
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
      Does anyone have a writeup on how the three drip oiler works? The owners' manual is not helpful. The oiler for the right cylinder has stopped delivering oil, allowing the sight gage for that cylinder to fill up. After 25 years! Disconnecting the line at the dash, still does not allow the collected oil to drain out. I must sop it out, only to have it refill from the drip.
    • Douglas Tomb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
        I saw this same problem on a tour. One of the cars (Maxwell) had oil backing up in one of the sight glasses. We disconnected the oil line at the dash, on the engine side. We ran a wire into the fitting, and it would not go through. It took quite a while, and much fiddling, and we finally made a hole for the wire to go through. The fitting was blocked. It was blocked by oil crud just blocking the hole and becomming hard. It was a good thing we freed it up, as oil was not flowing to the engine, and it would have burned a bearing, etc.

        Thanks, Doug Tomb, Virginia.

        Does anyone have a writeup on how the three drip oiler works? The owners' manual is not helpful. The oiler for the right cylinder has stopped delivering oil, allowing the sight gage for that cylinder to fill up. After 25 years! Disconnecting the line at the dash, still does not allow the collected oil to drain out. I must sop it out, only to have it refill from the drip.

      • Richard Anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
          Two problems I've see with oil lines like this are: 1. they can plug with gunk and need to be flushed clear with a solvent and/or air pressure. It doesn't hurt to remove them and flush everything well with a solvent to get all the crud out. 2. A few times I've gotten an air lock in the oil line....where somehow an air bubble blocks the oil flow.....I then remove the line, blow it out, and put it back...and watch to see it flow....????   Just a few ideas....Rich

          Richard V. Anderson
          P.O.Box 858
          Coupeville, WA. 98239

          Home: 360-678-3733
          Cell: 206-240-9434

          To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
          From: twrcars@...
          Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:11:12 +0000

        • RLtandem@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
            HI
            I have had he oil like fill a glass occasionally as you have described and after a bit of idling (time of maximum air pressure in the tank) it has cleared itself. In addition to the fine suggestions by Richard I would look into the condition of the check balls in each cylinder fitting. If they are hanging up there is the possibility of some blow-back pressure in the feed line from a glass.
            In a related subject I have acquired a 4 glass Essex drip setup and am considering changing over to it in order to provide more oil to the front crank bearing, Any thoughts?

            BJ Coombes
            1909 LD
            Eagle Point, OR

            From: twrcars@gmail. com